This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

XT3 batteries?

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by IanT61, Sep 25, 2018.

1. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've learned my lessons many years ago over and over again. Swelling, draining way too fast, refuse to hold charge.... too many to list. Bottom line OEM is the way I choose and it literally takes the guess work out.
    Where are you hiding now? Hope it's a good one. Because I'm gone, too. :(

2. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Because the better third party batteries are much cheaper than the OEMs, last just as long and very rarely swell (and there have been reports of OEM batteries swelling).

Now that Fuji has started to cripple their cameras when a third party battery has been detected (for no obvious reason) the OEMs become the only practical choice.

3. WINN

WINN Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If I told you the rest would find me. Every person for themselves!!

4. WINN

WINN Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's great the after market batteries are working for you. I have had two Wasabi batteries and one Flashpoint. I bought the the Wasabis with their dual charger, the Flashpoint was a "throw in" when I bought my X-E1 from Adorama. I also had two OEM batteries. The Flashpoint (whomever made it for Adorama at that time) lasted about 18 months and wouldn't hold a charge any longer. Both of the Wasabis swelled, one while in the camera. For me swelling is 66% of a very, very small sample size. The OEMs are still going strong or as strong as I can tell. Experience is a great teacher and, for me, just like LionSpeed says, it's OEM from now on.

Oh, has Fuji limited the X-T3's capabilities when it senses a nonOEM battery or does it just show a warning? Does "limited" infer that the firmware won't allow certain functions or that the camera won't work as well because of more rapid heat build-up causing the camera to shut down?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  5. Greybeard Photography

-Return to Top-

It warns when it doesn't detect a 126s battery (which probably means it doesn't like the OEM 126 either) and limits the boost functionality - which I'm guessing includes the faster AF which was one of the major X-T3 selling points for me.

(My sample size of third party batteries is equally small and proves very little but my experience has been positive).

6. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Premium Member

-Return to Top-

And you have darn reasons to run :p
    Some bad experiences with the very least of performing batteries (wasabi) and you jump into conclusions in a generalizing way.
    Be sure Expro White rocks.
    upload_2018-9-29_21-15-33.png

Confusing, could you make a pick please?

All in a teasing good spirit though ;)

7. WINN

WINN Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No question I am speaking in generalities. Your graph shows capacity. What about number of charges before capacity diminishes? What about incidence of swelling? What about a cost benefit ratio comparing cost vs amount of time battery until battery's capacity has diminished enough that it isn't useful any longer? If your experiences with after market batteries have been positive then keep on using them. Mine haven't been that great.

Another way I look at it is with the X-T2 you had to buy the battery grip in order to attain boost performance, both battery grip and W126s batteries. Now they recommend only 126s batteries for boost performance. Looks like money saved.

Good spirit, you bet. If all we're discussing here are batteries then our lives must be going pretty well right now!!

8. FujiMongol

-Return to Top-

Some batteries do really well, is that hard to believe? 3Rd party batts ranging from 8 to 30 bucks, go figure it mirrors something.
    If you didn't already read this article (source of my graph) it might be of interest:
    Please login or register to view links

Also, if people buy a 3rd party battery, chances are they might also have an accompanying 3rd party charger along. Some of those chargers might be overly cheap made (poor to no quality control) and puff a battery sooner than expected. I'd be far from surprised that failing QC products find a way to the market after all in another label at dumping prices.

I understand Fuji fully: they know some 3rd parties are bunk and they know just as well that some 3rd parties are good. But how on earth can Fuji make the difference? They simply can't and force something of which they are sure it's no bunk, being their own, and it delivers $ too.

I just wonder what kind of identification Fuji uses to differentiate their own from the 3rd parties.

No doubt the fuji's are best!

9. WINN

WINN Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Do you think there might be a chip incorporated into the cell identifying the battery as a 126s?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  10. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I cannot understand why after spending a small fortune on cameras and lenses, some want to whinge about the cost of a Fuji battery. By the way all my Fuji batteries are made by Panasonic!

Obi X Kenobi likes this.
  11. Greybeard Photography

-Return to Top-

There are a lot of things I don't understand either

CWRailman and Mike Gorman like this.
  12. FujiMongol

-Return to Top-

I've googled a bit and found for the 4 contacts on lipo's this nomenclature as widely accepted:
    PLUS
    MINUS
    T from Temperature check (a resistor changes it's value according to battery temperature), sometimes called BTEMP (then B stand for Battery I guess)
    S from Status Indicator or System Indicator, so it must be this one telling camera a story, sometimes called BSI
    upload_2018-9-30_11-43-19.png

I would not be surprised if a future X-T2 upgrade get that battery check incorporated too.

13. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

With the X-t2, boost mode used both the body battery and the gripped battery. I would notice the battery in the body would drain along with starting with the left battery in the grip. When not in boost mode, the left battery grip would be used first, then right, then the body.

When the lockup issue happened, the firmware update seemed to put the x-t2 into a permanent type boost mode because I noticed the body battery would drain regardless of what mode I was in. This made sense because one of the hacks before the firmware update was to be in boost mode. This annoyed me because I liked having to just charge the two gripped batteries instead of the body battery as well.

Fast forward to the x-t3. I have noticed the x-t3 now goes to using one battery at a time instead of pulling power from the body battery and a battery in the grip. If there is a battery detected that doesn't meet the requirements you will get the warning regardless if there is a W126s battery in the body. The benefit is the battery in the body is now a backup battery again.

If you want to play conspiracy theorists this is Fuji requiring the more expensive battery. I think Fuji should have included approved batteries with the grip like they did with the X-H1. However, I understand Fuji's position in regards to technical support. They can't possibly support third party battery issues because they have no control over the quality of the third party batteries. For grins and giggles I put in some W126s knock off batteries in the grip, and one battery registered as good and the other battery indicator turned red. I can't tell much difference in performance from boost to regular so I'm fine with going my merry way with approved batteries and knockoffs in the grip. I have approved batteries in the grip and will use the knockoffs in the grip if I need to for a busy day of shooting. I am glad the body battery is the last battery used so I can just swap out the batteries in the grip and keep the body battery as backup power.

This leads to a solution. Fuji, please design a larger battery that fits the grip. I get you want compatibility across the camera line which saves money in research. However, designing a battery for the grip can also be a longterm solution and will go a long way to giving us a battery that can last all day which pros want. At the end of the day, having one battery that can work all day with one as a spare is better for the working pro than having up to six batteries to manage.

14. merosen

merosen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think I found a Green Extreme NP-W 126S.

I have 3 batteries ,Green Extreme NP-W 126
    I have 2 older ones, they give me the battery warning and show a yellow battery indicator on my X-H1.
    I bought a new one on 7/30. No battery warning, white battery indicator.
    The Adorama page says NP-W-126 as do the old batteries and the new one bought on 7/30. No "S" indication.
    Both new and old are 7.4v 1260 MAH 9.3 wh.
    I wonder if Adorama even knows the manufacturer is making the S version or modified the design.
    I'm kind of amazed by the different behaviour.
    I've tested this a dozen or so times to make sure I got it right.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  15. John Westman

John Westman New Member

-Return to Top-

Does anyone know if the new batteries will work with the old XT1 third party portable charger?

16. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

yes

17. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Tested some Jupio W126s batteries. The T3 does not give the warning when they are inserted. These are not among the cheapest 3rd party batteries though.

18. merosen

merosen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Got 2 new Green Extreme NPW-126 batteries yesterday,
    No batttery warning
    Battery Icon is white

lysander and BillC-PA like this.
  19. lysander

lysander If at 1st you don’t succeed, lower your standards.

-Return to Top-

Got some of these and in the batter grip they do NOT show the warning I got from plain old W126 batteries:

download.jpg

20. fgphoto

fgphoto New Member

-Return to Top-

I have a few of the Wasabi NPW126-JWP batteries that claim to replace the NP-W126S. They have performed just fine in both my X-T2 bodies and X-T3 bodies with boost mode on. No warning and no issues. I have a few of the NP-126S batteries also and mostly purchased the Wasabis to use in the booster grips of both cameras more than as the in-camera body, but I have no hesitation about using them in camera.

In my experience both with photography and other fields that use rechargeable batteries, the majority of batteries swell when they are being charged. If you charge your batteries in-camera, which also is an enclosed space and does not allow the battery to vent the heat that is generated during charging, you greatly increase the chances of the battery swelling and getting stuck in your camera. It is always a good idea to charge your batteries externally if possible.

I have also used the Wasabi batteries with Canon 5D type bodies for years and in all seriousness have never had one swell and get stuck in the camera. I have had one swell up on a charger once, but I have had the same happen many years ago with a Canon 1D mk III battery also, so I would say it is a rarity and not limited to only aftermarket batteries.