This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

XT-3, first impressions.

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Macad, Sep 22, 2018.

1. spilla

spilla Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What does setting the focal length do?

2. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

EXIF data for manual lenses will have the correct focal length.

3. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Two things: EXIF data and used as the basis for calculating the auto minimum shutter speed for auto ISO.

4. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry, it’s been packed off to WEX to be PXed!

5. spilla

spilla Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Got it, thanks.

6. Neil_42

Neil_42 Member

-Return to Top-

Picked up my X-T3 the day it was released, September 20. I love it. Very fast focus, outstanding OOC jpegs, using the C setting is my go-to now.
    I’m still learning the ins and outs of the camera; the more I learn, the more I like it.
    Very happy that I went for the X-T3. Loved the X-T2, love the X-T3 even more.

LionSpeed likes this.
  7. Ish

Ish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I traded in my XP2 for the XT3. Love the XP2 style but wanted some features of the T that I don't think will ever come to the XP range starting with the tilt screen. I do a fair number of shots from a low angle and it's going to help enormously. I'd thought about the XT2 but it's only about £100 less that the XT3 which made it easy to choose! I bought the silver because it looks less square than the black and the silver XT3 is nearly £50 cheaper than the graphite XT2

So far I've mostly noticed how much quicker the focus is so the only thing that limits my use of the 35mm f1.4 is the noise it makes. I'd love a version two of this lens!

I have most of next week on my own so am hoping to get out and really get to know it. And I really can't go without commenting on what a satisfying 'snick' it makes when you press the shutter! I could take pictures all day just to listen to that sound, lol! :)

Kirstybell and LionSpeed like this.
  8. mbrakes

mbrakes New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks a lot Macro, that's really helpful. I'll try to resist purchasing the T3 then, and wait for either the X-H2 or X-Pro3. Or any other new models they may come up with that inherits the improved AF etc. in another form factor body.

9. ftwolff

ftwolff Active Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe the new Quad X processor has AI and it chose not to focus on your hairy legs.
    Just saying.
    F

10. pjmimages

pjmimages Active Member

-Return to Top-

Traded my X-T2 for the 3 and first impressions are good though some of the bells and whistles I will never use (e.g. video not my thing).

I’ve only used it for a couple of shoots so far, one a magazine shoot where I was shooting indoors on the 50mm f2 wide open using face detection which definitely seems to have improved. The other shoot was a football match under floodlights with the 50-140 using iso6400 to get the shots. I would say focus is improved and I think the jpegs look a bit better too SOOC.

I tried the EFE-Front Curtain Shutter for some of the football shots and expected it to be silent as in the electronic shutter but it’s not. Didn’t it really notice a difference in blackout time or improved image quality but will certainly try again.

As yet I haven’t tried the Sports Finder mode but will give it a go at my next game.

Here’s a link to the football pics: Please login or register to view links

trainer likes this.
  11. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Shooting the church gig and used iso 12,800 and it looked pretty damn good.

12. mbrakes

mbrakes New Member

-Return to Top-

Actually, looking further into this it seems like the X-H1 has the same dials and potentially the same issue. While looking into this I cam across this post that suggests a remedy - apparently Fujifilm has adressed this in a subsequent firmware update, allowing for user to disable this function through a function lock feature, very interesting:

Please login or register to view links

13. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Football shots were impressive.

The EFE-Front Curtain Shutter still uses the mechanical shutter for the rear curtain so you shouldn't expect it to be silent.

14. pjmimages

pjmimages Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the positive comment. Coming from the x-t2 this shutter option was new and the word ‘electronic’ certainly had me puzzled!

15. Ken lutes

Ken lutes Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well I picked up my XT3 today. I only picked it up for faster focus that everyone and adverstisment claims. I have only used it today. But first impression is not good as far as faster focus. I do have it in boost mode. With 23 F2 it's seems ok not faster. Using the 100-400 it is very slow to focus. Sometimes it fails to focus till I let it focus on something else and then go back to it. Sometimes I have to do this 2-3 times to get it to focus. I will take it back out Tomorrow and try again. If not better I will be returning it for my XT2. But I am hoping!

16. Macad

Macad Member

-Return to Top-

Did you try afc? That's where the main improvement is.

17. Bill W

Bill W Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've had mine for more than two weeks. I've had a number of lockups, despite having performed the firmware update. I called Fuji USA, and they told me to use cards with a write speed of at least 150 MB/s. I haven't swapped out my slower cards to see whether that makes a difference, however. I'm a slow and deliberate photographer (not just an amateur photographer but an amateurish photographer), don't do video at all and haven't done bursts. The lockups are hardly even annoying for me: all it takes to fix them is to detach the battery from its contacts for a brief instant. But I'm sure they would be annoying to anyone else. Otherwise I love the camera--smaller and more compact than my X-Pro2, and the separate ISO dial, instead of that fiddly ring, is a real pleasure. I actually prefer the JPEGs to those of the X-Pro2--but maybe it's just that fall color and light is beginning here.

18. Ken lutes

Ken lutes Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes I did.

19. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A follow-up to my first impressions.

Had the T3 for a couple of weeks now. Put almost 4000 frames through it in quite a variety of situations and used it with most lenses. 16/1.4, 23/2.0, 35/1.4, 60/2.4, 90/2.0, 18-55, 50-140 and 100-400 (with and without TC).

It's been rock stable and issue free. I never had lockup issues with the T2 (it might have locked up twice in two years) and it seems I did a wise move when I invested in two Transcend 64GB USH-II 285/180 r/w cards for the T2 when it was released. Those cards now live in the T3.

AF is considerably improved in many circumstances, but mainly in AF-C. Face/eye AF seem to thrive with some of the lenses, not so much with say the 60/2.4 (that despite its slowness does surprisingly well in AF-C single point or zone at moderate distances). IQ is at least as good as the T2 with apparently more detailed high ISOs due to better balanced noise reduction. ISO 160 RAWs made on a clear, bright fall day with Fuji lenses are so crisp and sharp I'm afraid to cut my eyes on 'em. This is a killer camera for sure and I don't think Fuji did poop this release.

Really looking forward to using it on a few upcoming jobs and projects later this month. I got a feeling I will have a couple of great photographic years with this body. I must say, although the improvements to the body are subtle over the T2, the T3 definitely feels (and sounds) better to me. The clicks, the dials, the height of the buttons...everything is improved. The quality of the tactile feedback is important to me so I really enjoy this aspect.

AGIIINTblue and Ish like this.
  20. Ken lutes

Ken lutes Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Update.
    I downloaded the latest firmware for my 100-400 lens. Made a big difference. Works like it is suppose to now. Still not sure it is a whole lot faster at focusing than the XT2. But I will try again and again. Hopefully it will prove to be faster.. I,sure hope so, love my fuji.