This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

x100F buy now, or wait until version 5

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, X70, XF10' started by Kirstybell, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the x100s, skipped the x100t, and bought the x100f. I can't compare to the x100t but for what I do the x100f is just an all around better performing camera. I use it for candid event photography along with outdoor portrait work when I need the advantages of the leaf shutter with strobes. Face detect is a major feature for me and it works great for group shots and portraits.

In regards to waiting for the 5th version I don't see a good reason for me to upgrade unless they add a substantially better lens, dual card slot, tilt screen and maybe weather resistance. If my x100f suddenly died I would buy another one in heartbeat instead of waiting to see what the 5th version will be like.

Kirstybell likes this.
  2. Kirstybell

Kirstybell Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for feedback, 100 series users are generally very content whichever model it seems. My only justification for waiting for the next generation release would be to take advantage of cheaper F's when people upgrade, but I'm pretty much decided that a T would be just fine.

3. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What are you talking about? The new sensor is just as good in low light AND has higher pixel count, so noise is actually better than on the old sensor. It also focuses a lot faster, handles better, shares the battery with the X-T2/3 as well as X-Pro2, X-H1. I owned the X100T and now have the X100F and can only say the X100F is a better camera in every single way.

Now, regarding "clinical look", I think that's just different post processing and the higher resolution, same processing will result in the same image, just more detail, if you don't want that, scale it down to 16MP and you're good.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    LionSpeed likes this.
  4. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What are you shooting with now? Honestly, I've owned both the T and the F and I didn't find them anywhere close to "pocketable". Many realtors find the 10-24 quite flexible when it comes to photographing things like you describe. Again, not pocketable, but IMO neither is the X100 series (although really nice cameras). If you think the 18mm focal length might work for you there are options there without breaking the bank. Good luck with your decision as well as your construction.

Kirstybell likes this.
  5. Finder

Finder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I just want to know what they will call it--F works for forth and fifth...

6. Mk1

Mk1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Kirsty I found a minty silver X100T on flea bay so have already sold the X70 and I will miss it but the T will be my main camera for stills.
    The Sony is going to be my good light plus video set up.

Kirstybell likes this.
  7. Mk1

Mk1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The F indeed is a technical marvel but as I said previously the images aren’t quite “right” from it compared to the T.
    I still feel that even the very old xpro1 I had actually was better image wise than the pro 2 I owned.

Kirstybell likes this.
  8. Kirstybell

-Return to Top-

Likewise the xe1 and the t20 I owned for a while.

9. Kirstybell

-Return to Top-

Thanks for good wishes, currently use an xe1 with a 35 1.4 mostly and 55-200 from time to time.

10. Ish

Ish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was talking through the top of my head that's what. :( I've been away and just catching up and when I saw what I'd written my heart sank. Apologies @Kirstybell, I intended to write "and the low light capability of the F is better". I've had a T and now I have an F and you're right, the X100F is a better camera in every way. The fact that the pictures from the T are more contrasty is not an advantage, it's better to be able to add more when needed. The new sensor is better in low light with the ability to shoot at a higher ISO without getting the tripod out, just the sort of thing you have with you on a building site! I guess the bit about the "clinical" look was directed elsewhere as I didn't mention that. Thanks for pointing out my mistake, my comment was misleading.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    cug and Kirstybell like this.
  11. Ish

Ish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You could probably manage with this camera if you had a wider lens and didn't want to spend much.

Kirstybell likes this.
  12. Kirstybell

-Return to Top-

:) Thanks for updating your original comment it was good of you to take the time, and for advice re e1 and wider lens. Still swithering on that choice. It’s down to the 18mm f2 or the t100. I love voigtlander images whenever I see them and hanker after one but the wider lenses are too slow for low light, I think.

Ish likes this.
  13. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

And I think it's easily doable with the in-camera JPEG settings if you really want to drown your shadows and blow the highlights. I've done with some of my experimental settings and while it was kind of a psychedelic experience combined with Velvia, it's not something I'm using in any way ...

14. inkista

inkista Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nope, but the time frame is possibly a little early. It's been about 21-24 months between versions, and the F was announced Jan 2017. Jan/Feb 2019 seems more likely for an announcement of a spring release if they stick to the established pattern.

X100: announced 2/2011
    X100S: announced 1/2013
    X100T: announced 9/2014
    X100F: announced 1/2017

Used camera prices generally don't work that way. Partially because it takes time to sell a used camera. :) Supply and demand pretty much keeps the pricing fair; there may be a great spread on the pricing temporarily, but it'll correct itself. Prices only plummet if a ton of people all choose to sell at the same time and then they keep doing it. Most used camera prices steadily decrease slowly over time (new ones often do this, too; Canon street prices often go from $800 to $500 over a year with the dRebels). I highly recommend poking about on the Please login or register to view links website, which gives historical new/used prices on Amazon over time. This is their chart for the original X100 prices over time:

x100history.png

That big spread prices in the last quarter of 2012 is probably because the X-E1 (the first of the EVF-only Fujifilm X-mount cameras) was released and was the first sub-$2000 Fuji X IL mirrorless (while the Xpro body was only $1700, you still had to get a new lens and there wasn't any used market). Prior to that, only the X100 and XPro existed in the X lineup.

It always is. You can only shoot with a camera you have. :) Like computers and phones you can always sit around waiting for the next great thing, or you can get a great deal on something used. But you only get to play with the toys in your hands

As everyone else is saying, it's definitely sufficient (I love my X100T). But a lot of whether you'll be happy with it depends on what you're currently used to. If you're used to an S, it may not be enough of an incremental improvement (same sensor/lens) on UI to be worth the price difference. If you're used to an F, you're probably not gonna be happy with the AF performance. But if you already shoot a T, the F may not be worth the additional price for the AF. :) For X100 series owners, it often is the case that a single-version "upgrade"may be insufficient, but two or three generations can be a no-brainer. And for a new-to-the-X100 series owner, whatever model fits your budget can be fun enough to be worth it. :)

Kirstybell likes this.
  15. Ish

Ish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, I've used the in camera settings to adjust contrast but was thinking more along the lines of adding a touch PP. I do a fair amount of higher contrast B&W but like the option to add it to those pictures that benefit from it, not to have it added automatically to everything. Re your experiment, it's fun to do but not surprised it's something you're not using!