This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T3 sensitivity adjustment for manual focus ring?

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by Ruben0918, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Ruben0918

Ruben0918 New Member

-Return to Top-

So, I just recently decided to make the switch from Canon to Fuji, and purchased an X-T3 (with 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0). So far I am loving it, but I am having one issue with the manual focus that is driving me kind of nuts: the manual focus ring is unbelievably slow! If I want to go from infinity to minimum focus you have to rotate the focus ring like 10 times! For video this can especially be a problem if you want a transition effect from an out-of-focus shot to in-focus, etc. - it just takes too long. A simple solution would be to just allow the user to adjust the sensitivity of the manual focus ring in settings.

So my question is: is it possible to adjust the sensitivity of the manual focus ring so that the distance from infinity to minimum focus is shorter? And if not, have other people also had this problem, and is there another solution to deal with this that I am unaware of?

(PS: I realize the auto-focus systems on the new camera are all the rage, but please no half-baked responses like: 'just use the auto-focus' - I know, the auto-focus is phenomenal. But I still love being able to make use manual focus, especially for video)

2. intheviewfinder

intheviewfinder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Most of us use the AF of the camera to go 'long distances' by using the AF-L button. Once close we manually fine tune.

Goldingd likes this.
  3. Ruben0918

Ruben0918 New Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah, and I think that the AF+MF is a great feature (especially for photography), but it's basically just a tool for 'fine-tuning'. It doesn't really solve my problem in video if I want to make a creative choice to focus-in at my own speed. With my Canon lenses it was always possible to manually focus from infinity to minimum focus in about one-turn

4. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am no video maven and have never used my X cameras for video prior to getting the X-T3 about a month ago. After just a few gos, however, I agree this would be useful. Even on AF, it would be nice to be able to adjust speed of video focus - it might even be in there somewhere and I haven’t discovered it yet. The better the tech gets, the more demanding we become!

Hah, when I got my first Fuji in 2013 I never dreamed I would ask for slower AF at any point. :)

5. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

To clarify, while set up for manual focus, use the AF-L button as a shortcut to get it close. Use that button, yep auto-focus kicks in, focus moves quickly, then adjust manually as normal. Not half-baked.

6. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

One thing you could do is to put on a follow focus, you can get ones that let you attach a gear ring to the manual focus ring, and with the larger diameter of the follow focus it can reduce the throw. I have not tried this but it should work. On some follow focus you can add an extension lever that makes the throw appear shorter.

Alan

7. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You are confusing AF+MF with the AF-L button mode. In manual focus mode the AF-L button provides a quick autofocus that gets you there, then the focus ring can be used to fine tune.

Are you aware that a quick turn of the focus ring moves the focus point forward/backward quickert than if you move the focus ring slowly over the same forward/backward distance.

It's a sort of live sensitivity adjustment on-the-fly.

Fubar likes this.
  8. fzdp

fzdp Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hmm, in X-T2 the speed of moving the distance depends on how fast you rotate the focus ring, at least while in photo mode. Is this different in video?

9. Bandje

Bandje Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Short answer: this is just the way it is, I think. Fuji's lenses are all electronic focus by wire lenses that are not very suitable for manual focus. I'm sorry.
    I use manual focus a lot, but only on legacy lenses (old canon FD or OM lenses) that are meant to be used with manual focus, and which work very well for video (and are mostly very cheap!).

10. Ruben0918

Ruben0918 New Member

-Return to Top-

I just checked it out and you actually can adjust the AF speed in video (under the video settings). I tried it but I didn't really notice that much of a difference at the slower setting. I find it interesting that Fuji added this feature though. It suggests that they recognize a snap AF just doesn't work aesthetically when filming. It seems to me though that a way easier solution would be to just add a sensitivity adjustment for the MF ring..

visorvet likes this.
  11. Ruben0918

Ruben0918 New Member

-Return to Top-

It makes a difference, but not enough. I still have to rotate for an eternity to go from infinity focus to
    Sorry, yeah your right about the AF-L. But I just tried it any the AF-L feature doesn't actually work once your start filming, so you would have to do it before you start filming. Even if it did, it would produce a horrible crash zoom that would look terrible..

I also tried to turn the focus ring more quickly, but it's still too slow, even if I spin like mad.

*sigh*

12. Ruben0918

Ruben0918 New Member

-Return to Top-

I am afraid you might be right.. But with focus by wire lenses I feel like this is something that Fuji could add in a firmware update (i.e., MF ring sensitivity adjustment). From what I'm reading though it doesn't seem like this problem has bothered too many other fuji users, probably because its only really a problem for video (and it seems like most videographers are still using Canon or Sony: lame!)

13. Ruben0918

Ruben0918 New Member

-Return to Top-

PS: I'm very intrigued by the idea of using old canon FD lenses for video.. Any recommendations? ;)

14. EA-FUJI

EA-FUJI Active Member

-Return to Top-

As has been mentioned, there is a linear focus option, and the normal mode which is sensitive to how fast you turn the focus ring.

15. cpu8088

cpu8088 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I go cinemas and watch hollywood movies.

how do they shoot? in auto focus or manual mode?

Rainer Mueller likes this.
  16. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Usually with lots of forward planning, rehearsal, and retakes and reshoots.
    :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    jknights likes this.
  17. cpu8088

cpu8088 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

of course there are planning, rehearsal, retakes and reshoots.

but do the camera men use manual focus or autofocus?

Rainer Mueller likes this.
  18. fzdp

fzdp Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Follow focus system

This is a great read
    Please login or register to view links

19. Ruben0918

Ruben0918 New Member

-Return to Top-

As mentioned above, professionals will use follow focus systems: manual.

20. Bandje

Bandje Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That depends mostly on what you want to shoot, I think. I use mostly longer legacy lenses (55 macro, 90 mm and 135 mm) as these are cheap, but mostly good, alternatives to the Fuji options, which are very expensive. For video you'd probably need wider lenses, so around 24-28 mm? A canon FD 28 mm/2.8 doesn't cost much, the 24 mm is a bit more expensive on secondhand sites. Nowadays it's possible convert almost any old lens with an adapter. I'm now mostly using an old pentagon 28 mm lens, but I don't do video much, to be honest.