This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T3 or X-T2????

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by barryd, Nov 8, 2018.

1. barryd

barryd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have been away from this forum for quite a while. Due to health and work my photographic journey has suffered.
    I currently have an X-e1 and X-e2, Zeiss 12mm and Zeiss 32mm, Fuji 18-55mm, Fuji 55-200mm, Fuji 27mm, Fuji 35mm f/1.4 and Fuji 60mm.

I am about to aquire another x-body...either an X-T2 or X-T3. My thinking is that I should go ahead and get the most advanced body rather than wish I had in a year or so.

Those of you who have real experience with both bodies, I would appreciate your opinions on the real world differences between the two.
    I enjoy travel and wildlife photography as well as portrait, human figure photography.
    One of the features I find really helpful on my X-E2 is Bluetooth connection with my smartphone. When WiFi is not available I can still download my photos. I have read that the X-t3 has both but the X-t2 only has WiFi connection.

Your opinions will help me decide if the $400-$500 difference is justified.

Thanks for your help
    Barry

2. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Get the latest and the greatest Barry.
    Really really fast focusing (especially in low light), better face/eye detection, EVF’s diopter lockable, faster fps (without the need of booster grip), USB-C, battery life lasts much longer than my T2, better ISO/DR, faster sensor read out, yes bluetooth is better... to name a few.

Do it!

fugu 82-2 and DaveX like this.
  3. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If the $400-500 difference isn’t an issue for you buy the xt3 immediately.

It’s improved AF will benefit your wildlife photography and portraiture (especially if you use eye focus).

My xt2 is close great on these issues but I’m finding it hard to resist the xt3. I have both the xt2 and xp2 and neither one is holding me back.

If the cost difference is not right for you now, have you thought about purchasing a used XT2 and using it to prove you are use cases. If you buy used and then resell it will be more like ranting the Cameron in terms of cost.

4. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Above 100%

5. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Another vote for the X-T3 if money isn't an issue. IQ isn't any different with the X-t2, it's just a better all around performing camera. It will make your life easier. Only you can decide if that is worth it.

6. barryd

barryd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the quick response and good information. I want the xt3 and the difference in cost is worth it to me based on the information.
    I am also going to go for the 100-400 zoom.

7. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For wildlife and sports, the X-T3 and 100-400 are a great combo

8. barryd

barryd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I just returned from a travel/photo safari in S.Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana. I had my 55-200 but it wasn't long enough. Our guide had Canon 100-400 and his shots were great.

9. fzdp

fzdp Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I guess x-t2 might not get all new features through firmware updates as it is limited with processor capacity compared to x-t3. Go for x-t3 if you can afford it.

10. techgeartalk

techgeartalk New Member

-Return to Top-

I echo the recommendations for the X-T3 (if it's within budget). The X-T2 was (is) a really nice camera, but what Fuji did with the X-T3 is just special.

It will serve you better into the future too and will make it longer before you need (read: want) to upgrade the body. Just my 2c.

11. Macad

Macad Active Member

-Return to Top-

As others have mentioned, X-T3 improves the quality of life more than image quality.

If you are a slow and methodical photographer, you may not benefit that much from the improved AF, particularly for portraits and street. Ironically, I started shooting with MF lenses after upgrading to the AF monster, and have been wondering if I should have kept my X-T2 instead. But, one thing I really liked on the X-T3 is the improved connectivity, particularly with Bluetooth. Since I travel quite a bit, the automatic geotagging is very useful, so is the image transfer feature. I'm just sure not they are $400-600 useful.

On the other hand, the X-T3 made AF-C useful again. There was a time when I used AF-C on the X-T2 and thought it was snappy, until I move the focusing point away from the center area and saw the camera hunting like a lunatic. On the X-T3, I am quite confident with using AF-C as my default setting if needed.

For wildlife, definitely upgrade, and get a few long lenses too, if $$$ is not an issue.

As mentioned, if you are someone who has mild FOMO and/or GAS (like me), just get the X-T3, and you won't have to worry about a better cam... ... ... ... ... ... until the X-H2 comes along :)

12. tb6122

tb6122 Member

-Return to Top-

XT3. I have 2 x XT2 & shall not be upgrading this time around as I do not shoot video & AF with VPB & 100-400 is perfectly acceptable. In your position I would go XT3. My XT2 performance has not altered since the arrival of the XT3 hence an upgrade skip.

13. barryd

barryd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I would do the same if I already had an X-T2.

14. tb6122

tb6122 Member

-Return to Top-

Money is not an issue as I still have proceeds from the sale of my Canon 500 f4 L IS & 300 f2.8 L IS. This will see me thru my next 4 upgrades at current prices as I always upgrade 2 bodies. I never purchase a model until it has been tried & tested for at least 6 months after release so most of the time these days a camera is only just over a year old when the new model is released. This does not mean to say my interest is not piqued & I always try out new gear to see if a change is warranted. On this occasion I once again choose to continue with my practice of missing a model just as I have done in the digital age. My film gear Contax Zeiss lasted 20 years. The great thing about Fuji is the price, compared to Canon 5 series & 1 series bodies, which alone allows a 2 year cycle if that is one's bent. I did succumb to the XT2 over the XT1.

15. Neil_42

Neil_42 Member

-Return to Top-

The reasons for buying the X-T3 have been covered thoroughly above. I'm just adding my voice to say that I had the X-T2 and loved it. Now I have the X-T3 and I love it even more. Fast focus, Bluetooth, continuous focus, IQ – the X-T3 is a fine improvement over the X-T2. No hesitation needed; the X-T3 awaits you.

Jonimages likes this.
  16. digitalpatriot

digitalpatriot Member

-Return to Top-

I had the XT2 since launch. And now the XT3... if you can swing the extra $500, do it. But honestly for single point AF, the XT2 is also lightning fast. I do not perceive any real world difference in terms of focus speed. Both snap to focus instantly with a newer F2 WR lens. For portraits though, the XT3 is much more reliable with tracking the eye. It means business where the XT2 will detect and lock onto the eye *IF* it feels like it. About 60% of the time. And sometimes it'll totally forget you asked it to track the eye and just go to sleep, defaulting back to regular AF. Which isn't the end of the world since focus and recompose center point is how we've shot portraits for eternity, but it is a feature that makes life easier.

The bluetooth is a nice touch. theres no fiddling with your camera every time you want to connect. just open the app on the phone and you're off (with the camera on of course). Easy software updates too via your phone. instantly. no messing with memory cards and your PC.

So to summarize:

yes it's worth it.

but if you want to save the money, there's little to no difference in the end result: the photo.

the $400-$500 extra is just to treat yourself.

i say why not... life is short =)

17. Dimitri-JPT

Dimitri-JPT New Member

-Return to Top-

In addition to everything else mentioned, I would suggest holding both and seeing how they feel in your hand. The XT3, for me , was much better, everything is marginally larger in the back and with somewhat better tactile feedback.

Kind regards,
    Dimitri

18. cbass

cbass Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For the minor price difference the X-T3. It offers several advantages over the X-T2.

19. artburda

artburda New Member

-Return to Top-

X-T2: Made in Japan

X-T3: Made in China

20. crashton

crashton Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Your point being?