This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2 or X-Pro2

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by intheviewfinder, Oct 10, 2018.

1. intheviewfinder

intheviewfinder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Let me start off by saying I'm retired. While I'm not cheap, I do need to be frugal, so in the last few years I've learned to be satisfied with the previous release of the latest and greatest gear (aka used gear).

I have an X-T1 which is primarily used for casual shooting Mostly the 18-55 kit zoom is mounted, and occasionally I pull out the 55-20mm telephoto. This kit has it's own bag. I grab it if my wife and I are going somewhere. I don't want my photography to interfere with whatever we're doing but I got something just in case. The only time the X-T1 has had a lot of outdoor time happened a few years ago for a one month trip to New Zealand. I carried the zooms and some primes (plus tripod, a flash etc). Lastly I do have a modest 2-light-stand flash (TT350F & X1TF) setup with backdrops. I've gotten some solid shots (lots of family portraits, still life, friends' model railroads, etc).

I also have two X-E2 bodies with a full compliment of primes: three fujicrons (23mm, 35mm & 50mm), a 18mm and the 27mm pancake. This kit also has it's own bag. Usually the 27mm and the 50mm are mounted and the 18mm is loose in the bag. I go back and forth bringing the bag out or just taking one body and a lens leaving everything else home.

My favorite photography for years has been street photography using smallish unobtrusive cameras like the X-E2. And I don't mean taking photos of streetscapes and architecture. I take photos of people in public places (check out the Instagram link in the signature). But as you can see I also span a pretty wide gamut of subjects.

This is a long winded background intro is just to say that I'm thinking I'd like to slim down my bodies to one. I'm wondering if that's even possible.

The bottom line... X-T2 or X-Pro2?
    Which one would you chose and why?

TIA
    --Rich

2. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Xpro2 hangs with me most of the time. It is my go to camera on vacations/short trips/weekend getaway/street ...
    Built quality of the Pro2 is better than T2 in my opinion.
    I've always loved the RF style. Slap on a 27mm or 18mm, now you have a beefed up X100. :)
    The OVF alone is more than enough for me to leave the T2 home.

Good luck with your decision!

P.S. Pro2 can get me over 800 shots per battery in mixed shooting (OVF & EVF). T2 gets me 350 shots at best.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    intheviewfinder likes this.
  3. Brian1940

Brian1940 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Had an XT2 got a X Pro2 and a XT20, the best? The XT20 by a country mile.

CriticalMass and intheviewfinder like this.
  4. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the XE2 and XPro1. I lean toward the X-Pro2 because I love the hybrid finder, but the much lower price of the XT2 is attractive (so low that it edges out the XE3, which would otherwise be a contender, with smaller size and a great control layout).

5. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I did decide and the only Fuji camera I still have is the X-Pro2.

Won't be buying any more, not convinced they test the cameras properly before release.
    Firmware upgrades are nice, but too often it's to fix problems that should have already been identified.

Main complaint is with the statement " we will never make a camera with ibis, physically impossible" then they did.
    Sold a few of my primes by then, so thanks for nothing and happy with m4/3 for my travel kit

JimFenner and intheviewfinder like this.
  6. bralk

bralk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

X-pro2 because of the optical viewfinder (to use with your F2 primes)

7. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The XT2 would be my choice. I used to have the XP1 and I do have an Xe1 and XE2, the XT2 is much better for me, the viewfinder is better and I think it fits better in my hand.

Alan

8. Dog Daze

Dog Daze Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I’m very happy with my xpro2, but I don’t have any other fuji to compare it to, so I really don’t have an opinion

deeel and intheviewfinder like this.
  9. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For a broad range of photography interests, my preference is the X-T2. I have both the X-T2 and X-Pro2. I purchased the X-Pro2 after a very favorable experience with the X100. I use it heavily with the 23mm f/2 and 35mm f/2 for street, for travel I add the 14mm f/2.8 and 18-55mm f/2.8-4 and choose just one of the 'crons.

I like the build quality of the XP2 over the XT2 but it's only by a small amount. I prefer the button location of the X-P2 over the X-T2, but the flip screen makes the overall difference for me, because I also use a tripod for family, location and landscape work. I imagined the flip screen to be an advantage on a tripod, but it is really a super advantage, especially indoors.

IMO, the AF differences and focus stacking feature on the X-T2 are also worth considering.

The hybrid optical VF is a very nice feature for street, candid and family photography (that also includes travel). I have a strong preference for the 35mm f/2 lens. I find the EVF to add a lot of versatility to the X-P2 with other lenses, but my usage pattern is definitely slipping toward the X-T2. I have large hands and the X-T2 (with auxiliary grip) is a bit comfort advantage for me over the similarly configured X-P2.

I feel fortunate to have both and exactly which one I would get rid of is a real quandary. I've given it much thought as I occasionally think about the X-T3.

The real test for me (without considering anything else) is I can do things with the X-T2 that I cannot do with the X-P2 and there is little I do with the X-P2 that I can't do with the X-T2. For me the X-P2 has photographic advantages over the X-T2 but it doesn't have any additional photographic necessities. I feel fortunate to have both; the X-T2 wins. :)

My largest lens is the 55-200mm and it is manageable on the X-P2. If I were to use a lens larger than that, I'd definitely pick the X-T2.

10. pointreyes

pointreyes Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sounds like you are comfortable with the X-E2 so I would go with the X-Pro2. There is better eye relief with the X-T2 and you have the tilt screen but I have the same thing with my X-H1 and still I gravitate to using my X-Pro2 more. I also have the X-E2 and that is what convinced me that I prefer that style of camera and thus got the X-Pro2.

One big plus for my eyes with the X-Pro2 is that it has the best LCD back panel resolution of all the X-series cameras.

dfom and intheviewfinder like this.
  11. dfom

dfom Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I love my X-Pro2 with the Fuji grip, thumbrest, and soft focus button. Great handling, custom buttons, OVF/EVF, and high resolution LCD.

12. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I used to own an X-Pro2 and found that while I liked the body layout better than the X-T2, the OVF/EVF is just not good enough for me. I never really used the OVF as it plain doesn't work well with the lenses I use a lot: 14/56/90/50-140 for example. It's also a real crapshot with zooms. Just not worth dealing with for me. The EVF size is absolutely TINY compared to X-T1/2/3 or X-H1 and the eyepoint absolutely sucks if you wear glasses.

So, I switched to X-T2 and while I sometimes miss the simpler and plain better thought out body layout of the X-Pro2, as long as that comes with the current OVF/EVF it's a no-go for me. I'd switch in a heartbeat if Fujifilm made an X-Pro2s or X-Pro3 with no other changes than the EVF being the same size and quality of at least the X-T2, better even the X-T3 or X-H1. That I don't use the OVF is besides the point in that case, I can live with the viewfinder curtain going up and down when I use the camera, my X100F does the same (Which has a better usable OVF and a larger EVF btw!) and while it's sometimes a little annoying, I can live with it.

So, my recommendation: if you aren't using an OVF (which you don't today) and like the size and eyepoint of the X-T1/X-E2, don't get the X-Pro2. It'll cost you more than an X-T2 and has, in that case, nothing over the X-T2 other than a slightly better and more efficient button/dial layout.

13. pandoraefretum

pandoraefretum Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My favourite is the XPro2
    I agree completely with cug about the OVF/EVF ; it's poor, and even my X100T has a bigger OVF than the XPro2
    Aside that (c'mon XPro3) it's a fast Professional Camera ; love the layout, look, form, performance, results.

14. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

One more comment from me on the OVF/EVF: I could probably deal with it if it weren't for my glasses. With my (!) glasses, the viewfinder is near impossible to use. It's crap. Literally. Mainly due to the very short eyepoint. Just not workable. Therefore, when I used the X-Pro2, I had to use either contact lenses or the rear display. Both are suboptimal solutions.

15. wrgrimes

wrgrimes Member

-Return to Top-

I hope you have the opportunity to handle each. I bought the x-T3 for the viewfinder(VF). X-Pro2 VF= peephole, X-E2 VF= color TV, X-T3(and nearly T2)VF= widescreen HDTV. I kept the X-Pro2 and sold X-E2 and remaining Nikon gear. So I kept both formats. Test each, both are excellent.

16. Jbat

Jbat Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had both at one time but never got used to using the OVF on the X-Pro2. Unless you plan to use the OVF, I can see no reason to get the X-PRO2. There are also a lot of reasons to like the X-T2 which have already been noted above. I finally sold the X-Pro2.

17. Bandje

Bandje Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I own both the X-Pro2 and the X-T2. I mainly concur with the statement made above that there are things that you can do with the X-T2 that you can't easily do with the Pro2, and not the other way around. While I really like the way the X-Pro2 looks (let's face it, the main reason I bought the camera, I admit), and feels and works, the X-T2 is just more versatile. For street, the main advantage is I think that you could shoot unobtrusively from the waist because of the flip-screen. That, and the lower price, in combination with a camera that can do anything and more that the X-Pro2 can do, would make me pick the X-T2 in your position.

I must add that I do not subscribe to the complaints about the X-Pro2 viewfinder. True, I hardly use the OVF, so I can't judge there, but in my opinion the EVF is fine, even when you are wearing glasses. Sure, it is smaller than the EVF of the X-T2, but I completed a day shooting yesterday using both camera's, and during use you hardly notice the difference.

18. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hmmm. I really can't say that for myself. Sure, my glasses are a bit further way due to the frame shape (Silhouettes), but it's not that much different with my other glasses. I find the viewfinder absolutely terrible and the difference massive.

19. Bandje

Bandje Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Funny how this can differ from person to person ;)

intheviewfinder and cug like this.
  20. ruby.monkey

ruby.monkey Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I took the easy way out - I have both. If I had to choose just one, it'd be the X-T2 due to its better handling with physically longer lenses mounted, movable LCD, better EVF for manual-focus lenses, and ability to add a battery grip; but there'd be a little part of my soul mourning the loss of the X-Pro's OVF.

Being able to go walkabout with both an X-T2 and X-pro2? Now there's a treat to enjoy.