This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T1 - resetting all the time/unable to take an image

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by sixtwophotography, Dec 5, 2018.

1. sixtwophotography

sixtwophotography Member

-Return to Top-

Hi all

Having bought my Fuji X-T1 used approx 2months ago it seems to have a problem now relating to it keep resetting itself.
    I will switch it on, the LCD screen will light up, I will proceed to take a picture then the screen goes blank and I am unable to get into the menu system or take another pic. Switch it off then back on and I will have to reset the date/time and other functions again.
    I have Googled the problem but seems to have been a big problem for the X-t20/Pro in the past and going by the number of replies from various forums it seems to be the internal battery that has drained.

Has anyone who owns the X-T1 run into the same problems as I have? If so what is the remedy? Is it the internal battery that has drained?

I really need it for a photo shoot in the studio soon and would rather not use my Canon 60D as really love the images that the X-T1 produces.

Thanks

2. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

The internal battery should only affect the saved settings not the operation of the camera when it is switched on. Are you 100% sure that the charger is properly charging the main battery?

3. sixtwophotography

sixtwophotography Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Richard

The battery was working okay all day yesterday as was in the studio with it and came across no problems then, it was only when I got home and decided to do some testing on my lenses that I came upon the problem. Okay I have just fired up the camera again, managed to take a pic but can't replay the image back on the LCD screen, I have noticed that it can take longer to switch off than usual, at this moment its switched off but the LCD screen still has some light on it so have to remove the battery to completely shut it down.
    Seems the EVF is not working either, only the LCD screen but if I switch between the LCD screen and eyepiece I lose all info and can't access the menu system at all, then it will kick into life and the LCD screen will operate, okay its just shut off the LCD screen again, and now its back on, just took 5 shots with it but still can't view the images I have taken.

Ah, hold on, just pick up the camera and bumped it, guess what? yep can now see the images on playback, seems there is something loose somewhere.

4. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi sixtwophotography,

Whatever the events that will make you think that something is working again,
    you shouldn't use this X-T1 alone (rather not use your Canon 60D)
    for a next photo shoot in the studio.

5. Mike7

Mike7 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Which version of the firmware do you have?

6. Mike7

Mike7 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think we have the following options:

1. battery damage or insecure battery contact,
    2. maybe the problem lies in the tested lenses - we do not know what lenses were or whether they have electrical contacts,
    3. The worst scenario is the failure of the motherboard, which in some situations does not work properly.

To eliminate the impact of the software, I would like to first update the software to the latest version. Have factory settings been restored?

7. sixtwophotography

sixtwophotography Member

-Return to Top-

Software version Version 5.40
    The battery was fully charged and used for the studio shoot, the same battery was used at home with the same lens and still had well over half charge left, the battery is a genuine Fuji NP-126S.
    Was using a Tokina SD 70-210mm in the studio and was the only lens used, have been using that lens for other shoots without any problems.

Maybe I should just stay with Canon as my used 60D has never let me down in 3 years of use but I have a few problems with the Fuji X-T1 and don't think I am alone.

8. Mike7

Mike7 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Because you say that in the studio he worked for a long time without problems, I would look for elements that have changed. Did Tokina work in the studio and then you change the lens? Before you leave Fuji, first check if it this problem can not be solved simply. I also went with Canon and not everything is simple here for me, but for this quality of the picture it is worth learning something new.

9. Mike7

Mike7 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have X-T1 with firmware v5.51.

10. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The battery that Richard is referring to is not the Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery NP-W126 that you take out of the camera to charge or change. He is referring to an internal battery, on the cameras motherboard that you cannot get to much less replace. It keeps settings in memory when the camera is turned off. Same sort of battery that is on a computers motherboard to keep BIOS settings in memory. All your symptoms scream Fuji repair. Camera reverting to defaults (without user actions or firmware updates), camera presenting you with the brand new camera start up screen (what language, etc), camera taking long time to shut down, camera taking long time to turn on (more the long time to turn off than to turn on), you might also notice camera unable to keep correct date/time.

/above edited due to battery model typo/ hattip: cpu8088

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  11. cpu8088

cpu8088 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

my x-t1 uses battery np-w126 not the s version

firmware is 5.51

12. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree with Richard - assuming the X-T1 works like most other electronic devices the internal battery is there to provide power to the circuits that hold saved settings. If it fails the symptoms should only be seen when changing out the main battery. In that case time/date and any other saved settings are set back to default. I'd doubt that a failing internal battery is causing your other issues.
    My guess would be that the internal battery is soldered onto the motherboard so any replacement would need be done by an authorised workshop.
    I think you might have more than one problem. Firstly - are you sure your battery is a NP-W126S ? If so I don't think that's the original battery. Is it a Fuji battery? I'd suggest first of all closely check the contacts on the battery for any signs of dirt, corrosion etc. Use a flashlight to check the contacts in the battery compartment as well. That might be the source of the intermittent lack of power solved by the bump to it. The loss of date/time and setup options would point to the internal battery failure and that's got to be fixed by an approved repairer. You should give Fujifilm UK a call on 0344 553 2321.

As far as your comment on Fuji reliability I can only say that I've had 5 Fuji X series cameras over the last 4 and a bit years now and have never had to call upon the services of Fujifilm tech. I've bought 3 of these cameras second hand and two new. Buying second hand obviously has it's concerns and unless it was from a commercial organisation you've probably got no come back but it may be worthwhile getting a quote from Fujfilm for the repair as they give the camera a service and you get a repair warranty.

I see you are from Scotland - as am I - do you know any other Fuji users you could try swapping battery and lens with?

13. Mike7

Mike7 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

[Quote = "jamie Allan pocztowy: 839529, Członek: 34701"] Please login or register to view links zapewnia ZASILANIE obwodów przechowujących zapisane USTAWIENIA. [/ QUOTE]

Exactly - this internal battery gives the power of a small memory chip responsible for several settings, e.g. time, date or language. If the battery expires, we may lose these settings, but this should not cause the device to be reset. That's how all computer systems work.
    Perhaps there is another reason. Can you say what lenses you used? Do these symptoms show up when using Fujifilm native lenses? You may need to clean the electrical contacts.