This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E3 previews, reviews and hands-on reports

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by Arjay, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Munene

Munene Member

-Return to Top-

Well, I just looked over some of the reviews and "chatter." So, basically, you have the X-E2 with the new sensor and some updated technical things (better AF, etc.). Plus things like the touch screen, which I am totally neutral about. And a slightly smaller body, which also is not so big either way.

The joy stick sounds promising.

The main thing, which I will repeat, is after everything, those of us who enjoy using the fuji in pretty much all manual, can. Plus a better auto-focus (which I admit I use more than the Fuji manual focus, which I find difficult), and some other bells and whistles which I might find useful. Also higher quality video.

The worse thing, is they are bundling it with a new 35mm lens! So, what should I do? And what do I do with my 40mm pancake lens? (for now nothing, but maybe after the holidays I might have some $$, plus selling the X-E2 body to get this).

Overall, I think Fuji did a thoughtful job, even if everyone can't agree on what they like/miss etc.

One question, without getting too technical, how much does this new sensor help the images in low, natural light compared to the old sensor? Or, does it improve on other things, and not so much light sensitivity?

Cheers,
    Munene

2. Viewfinder

Viewfinder Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

You might not even notice any difference unless you make real(!) large prints or substantially crop pictures

3. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

It's the same sensor as on the X-Pro2, so I assume IQ is pretty much on par with that camera.

I did some high ISO noise tests to compare the X-Pro2 (24Mpixels) with my X-T1 (16Mpixels). At first, when I looked at my files @ 100%, it looked noisier than my X-T1 files, but once I downscaled them to 16Mpixels, they looked the same or slightly better than those of my X-T1 (which I sold in the mean time). So, these files are as good or slightly better than those of earlier generation cameras.

Viewfinder likes this.
  4. Drew Saunders

Drew Saunders Member

-Return to Top-

My X-E1 is nearly 5 years old, and the X-E2 didn't look compelling enough to upgrade, so I had been saving for an X-T2, but wasn't sure I wanted the larger camera, and then the X-E3 was announced, and I think that will be my new camera. I'm happy it's a wee bit smaller (and I have huge hands, but I appreciate the compact size of the X-E1, so a few mm less is nice), that they'll have an accessory grip, presumably with an Arca dovetail, and the joystick is really what I'm looking forward to using. I'm sold! I don't really need a tilting screen if the bluetooth connectivity with my iPhone gives me a remote screen. I don't need weather sealing, it would be nice, but not needed. If I made money with the camera, I'd want the dual card slots, but I don't shoot professionally, so that's not needed. As long as I can have the touch screen disabled when I'm using the viewfinder, and it looks like I can, then this is a winner for me. I understand the front dial would default to ISO, but that you have to run the whole range to get from 200 to Auto, and it doesn't wrap around. Hopefully that can be fixed in firmware, as I use 200 or Auto almost all the time.

guzzi850m2 likes this.
  5. guzzi850m2

guzzi850m2 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I also don't need the top models XP2 & X-T2, it's simply overkill for my needs.

I will keep my XP1 (off-course) and use it around the house with mainly my Tamron SP90mm fitted. This 1:1marco lens is very good considered the price.

Flip screen? Well it's nice to have and I use it quite a lot on my Sony RX100 mk3 but I can easily live without it.

In my necks of the woods, I noticed that the Asian ladies loves taking selfies big time so X-E3 will not be popular here, the X-A3 sells like hotcakes (my daughter have one I bought for her, she loves it). 75% of the locals having a real camera are having the XA3 or 2 and in all kinds of odd colors, pink-white-brown, he-he, I think the XA's are made in Thailand?

Further the Asians are typically used to taking photos from their cells phones so most don't need/want a viewfinder.

The problem for me is getting my eager hands on a XE3 before buying but okay I am not in a great hurry and can wait a bit.

6. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

You will be able to buy the body alone or the body with the 18-55 as a bundle as well.

7. Munene

Munene Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Richard, I realize all of that (I have the 18-55 which came with the X-E2). Just trying to have some fun with what is really a nice dilemma.

But, while I am here, where do we sit? Upgrade to X-E3? Wait? With a surprising response on the marginal image improvement with the new sensor, I am less likely to upgrade so quickly. Even admitting the "improvements" made are, for the most part, improvements! : ) I might add, that I shoot mostly in manual setting, which certainly frames my evaluation of spending the $$. Perhaps after the holidays I will be able to find a nice used X-E3 body, and then maybe sell my X-E2, to recover some costs. Jury is out on the news 35mm lens, since I have the 40mm, but I love having the f-stop ring on the lens.

Another interesting question for other "street" shooters: It seems to me that this new X-E3 with the 35mm lens is a nicer option than the X100F! Similar specs, but now with an interchangeable lens. The main difference (and I might be wrong) appears to be the optical viewfinder option. Now I shot with my Leica M-6 for 20 years, so I know what an optical viewfinder does. I only ever thought of a viewfinder as a way to compose the shot. I have absolutely no issues with the EVF's, even the slightly older versions. I can see what's in the frame, set the exposure, compose, shoot. Not sure what else there is!

Anyway, I am so curious to hear how people will like the new 3 when it is out there, even if I do not run out right away, and what others think about an upgrade.

Cheers,
    Munene

8. redsim74

redsim74 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm definitely going to have to try the X-E3 (have an X-E2 now).

The technical updates are all welcome, but the decreased EVF size and the touch screen controls give me pause. I'll also admit that I'd have been happier to see a tilt screen.

9. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

The specs that irritated me when reading this discussion were VF magnification and eyepoint distance. I just checked the specifications of my X-Pro2: Both values are about the same as on my X-Pro2, so I could live with that. I wear progressive glasses even when shooting, and I get along nicely with my X-Pro2.

The rest of the camera features look very interesting, so I'm considering getting an X-E3 as a secondary body, complementing my X-Pro2.

I just discovered another Please login to view links, which revealed two interesting new details:
    • The camera features an overexposure warning which is active in live-view mode (5'25''). Not surprisingly, the warning depends on the selected film simulation and its settings. So, it can even be useful when shooting RAW with suitably selected JPG engine parameters.
    • The camera finaly sports an RGB histogram in playback mode (5'53'')!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    rayvonn likes this.
  10. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd noticed the VF spec. as well...but I believe more an indicator of a smaller unit rather than a down-grade.

0.62X v. 0.64X magnification is negligible; closer eye-point matches the smaller VF diameter [...and far bigger than my pupil if not dilated full ;)].

I would have liked a 0.77X VF magnification like the X-T2...but regretfully no.

Camera size difference is also negligible see picture below... [from Fuji's own promotional video.] But I am so glad it's now all metal top and bottom plates.

X-E2 v. X-E3.png

I'll keep my X-E1...perfect back-up for the X-E3.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  11. DougMac

DougMac Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

For me, it's good news and bad news. My eyesight is good enough that diopter adjustment with cameras allow me to shoot without glasses. The bad news is that I'm left eye dominant, although I have trained myself to shoot right eyed, which I find more convenient when I tested Fuji cameras.

I've pre-ordered the XE3 after renting and trying the X-T2, XPro2 and XE2s. I wanted the form factor of the XPro2 without the hybrid viewfinder. I also wanted a smaller body for travel. I'll be interested to see if the camera ships to be in the hands of purchasers on September 28 or if the first batches will ship on September 28. We will be traveling to London and Paris mid-October and I want to take the XE3. I'd like to have a little time to wring it out before leaving. I'm familiar enough now with Fuji cameras, I just want to avoid possible infant mortality.

guzzi850m2 likes this.
  12. palane

palane Member

-Return to Top-

Thats exactly the way i'm thinking....it carries a spare battery for a start.

XE3 is definitely coming to my kit, i was holding off buying X-T20 to see what was next.PERFECT for me.