This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E2 vs X-E2s over my X-E1?!?

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S, X-E3' started by verysame, Jun 12, 2018.

1. verysame

verysame Member

-Return to Top-

Hi there,

So much confusion :)
    I'm currently using an X-E1. I'm super happy with the camera, the only thing I'm missing is speed: with the EVF, because of the blackout, and after I take the picture I can't do things like check the focus (I shoot manual) as the camera is busy (and I'm using a fast memory card).

So, long story short: would I benefit from going with either an X-E2 or X-E2s? From my understanding, they are basically the same cameras, and the X-E2 with the latest firmware has nothing to envy from the X-E2s.
    If the speed of operability is near to the X-T10, then I guess I could consider myself happy with it. I know is not the top of the line (I also use the X-T2 and the speed is definitely better!), but with the X-T10 is still acceptable. That's basically what I'm missing with the X-E1.

I also know the updated sensor won't deliver the same SOOC files as with the X-E1, which are indeed beautiful. But I also end up playing with my RAW files anyway, so I guess I won't miss that SOOC too much.

Any hints?

2. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I started with the E1 and then bought a E2, my advice would be go for it.
    If for nothing else get the newer model for the considerable AF improvement.

Think the E2 is only slightly different, doesn't sound like you would want or need the full auto setting

3. verysame

verysame Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you for your advice, tijuana.
    I forgot to mention that I'm also considering changing my style, going from fully manual to automatic.
    In fact, I'm thinking to buy a 23 f/2 WR lens for my street photography. Hopefully, the X-E2 will be fast enough!

4. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It will be fine, so much faster in every respect, can be set up so the camera selects aperture, iso and shutter speed.

5. verysame

verysame Member

-Return to Top-

Awesome!

Thanks for the info :)

6. Brossa8

Brossa8 Member

-Return to Top-

I recently got an X-E2. I've had an X-E1 for several years now. Great camera's, the both of them.
    What annoys me is the missing view-mode-button on the E2. Changing view mode must be done through the menu. Also, on my E1 I can set view to EVF for shooting and it automatically changes to LCD for viewing (after pushing the view button).
    For me that's a major draw back on the E2 and I therefore use the E1 more.

7. mikEm13

mikEm13 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Here are the differences between the X-E2 and X-E2s
    Please login or register to view links

8. verysame

verysame Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting points!
    I also use the EVF mode only for shooting and the LCD for viewing. So, that's not possible on the X-E2?
    Why brands remove features?
    As for the view mode button, is there a way to assign it to a function button?

9. verysame

verysame Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you, mikEm13, I'm reading it right now.

Edit: and done. So, nothing new worth upgrading :)

10. marsmail

marsmail Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A couple of points to consider:-
    1. The E2 has PDF points and the focus (in reasonable light) is much quicker and more "precise" I did a personal test in poorish light, my E1 missed focus 9 out of 10 where the E2 hit it 8 out of 10, using the same lens and camera settings, so much improved IMO.
    2. The "view mode" missing button can be assigned to any one of the the programmable buttons to suit, so that facility is not totally missing
    3. as indicated above the differences between the E2 and E2s are slight and probably not of a lot of real world use to many of us. The only thing is - both models are now out of date and might be difficult to obtain, the longer you leave it, the more so it will become.

marsmail

11. verysame

verysame Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the info, @marsmail
    The first two points are really comforting!
    As for the latter, I've found a couple of used X-E2 for a decent price. I think I'll buy one and pair it with the 23 f/2 WR. It should be a great combo for street photography.
    Initially, I wanted to go with the X-Pro2 but considered the cost, I'll rather wait another year (or perhaps two, considered Fuji's camera production cycles) and wait for the X-Pro3. The X-E2 should do just fine. Heck, I'm quite fine the X-E1 :)

12. mikEm13

mikEm13 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a two month old X-E2s, bought new, with 10 months of warranty left Ill sell. If interested message me.

13. intheviewfinder

intheviewfinder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use my two X-E2 bodies along with the 27mm pancake and the 35mm f2 Fujicron pretty consistently for my street photography. Take a peek at my IG stream for samples.

14. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog New Member

-Return to Top-

I love the X-E1, it was my first Fujifilm X body and entrance into the system and I still use it. I also have the X-E2 and the X-E2S. I don't see that anyone has mentioned that both X-E2 (after firmware updates) and X-E2S add the Classic Chrome film simulation, not present in the XE1, as well as a set of filters (toy, miniature, pop, soft, dynamic, etc.) accessible through the "drive" button. The Classic Chrome simulation is probably my favorite. It seems to me that the X-E2 versions are a little more responsive than the X-E1, but it doesn't really matter to me as my manner with a camera is, well, deliberate; I love how the Fujifilm cameras allow one to slow down, think, and take the proper amount of time to get a picture taken.

And, to the original poster, the XF23 F2 WR lens added to and X-E2(or S version) makes a perfect camera. If you purchase the X-E2 be sure to update the firmware.

15. verysame

verysame Member

-Return to Top-

Ouch! I have seen your post right after I ordered an X-E2.
    I'll receive it soon and I'll test it. If for any reason I'm not happy with it and your E2s will be still available, I'll definitely get in touch!

Thanks for sharing it, intheviewfinder!
    I don't have an Instagram account but at least I can look at others' people feed.

I hope the X-E2 is definitely more responsive, is the main reason why I'm switching.
    Glad to hear the 23 is the perfect combo, that's what I figured. Can't wait to test it out!

Prairie Dog likes this.
  16. mikEm13

mikEm13 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ok sounds good.

17. Blackcoffee87

Blackcoffee87 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I actually like how it doesn't preview on the LCD automatically. That way when you review you can find the image you want to display and only you can see it.