This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-A3 Overexposure

Discussion in 'X-M1, X-A1, X-A2, X-A3, X-A10, X-A5' started by Márton Kopasz, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Márton Kopasz

Márton Kopasz New Member

-Return to Top-

Dear forum members!

I've noticed this possibly software bug:

Settings: A or S or M mode, Auto-ISO, multi metering, about 1EV overexposure present.
    I set average metering or turn off Auto-ISO the problem disappears.

I hope I'm missing something, am I?

2. Márton Kopasz

Márton Kopasz New Member

-Return to Top-

It has the newest firmware.

3. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Exposure is very subjective, that's why you have all the controls. Adjust the exposure to what you want it to be. Don't always go with what the camera "wants".

4. Márton Kopasz

Márton Kopasz New Member

-Return to Top-

Music is subjective too like John Cage's 4'33 silence but an image missing plenty of details due to bad light metering is not a matter of taste to me. The metering on my beloved camera is consistent except for this one setting with Auto-ISO and multi-metering.

5. Márton Kopasz

Márton Kopasz New Member

-Return to Top-

But that's true, there is absolutely a subjective side of the matter!

6. Márton Kopasz

Márton Kopasz New Member

-Return to Top-

But I'd like to know if you have the same problems as me with X-A3-s (kit lens) there.

7. Mike7

Mike7 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The first thing that comes to mind is the selection of the optimal measurement mode. In different situations, we have to choose the right mode. I remember the situation in which I was photographing in matrix mode, but the point mode was better.

8. Mike7

Mike7 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

All Auto modes are good only in certain standard (average) situations, it is better to first use the head consciously and then set the exposure. In many cases the M (manual) mode is the best, it often works well in A (aperture priority) mode with possible exposure correction.

9. nu2digital

nu2digital Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not familiar with the X-A3, but I get results like this sometimes when shooting the X-T1. For me, it is usually because I have the metering linked to the AF point, or because my aperture and/or shutter speed are set to low for the Auto-ISO to compensate. In particular, when shooting with DR200 or DR400 set, the Auto-ISO gets limited to a minimum of ISO 400 or ISO 800 respectively, which is usually too fast for shooting in daylight at large apertures. Lastly, you might want to check that default sensitivity is not set too high in ISO Auto settings.

John

JimFenner likes this.
  10. JimFenner

JimFenner Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No Exposure Compensation offset in operation?
    No Toy camera/other non-standard effect in operation?
    How do the RAWs look in post?
    Have you set your LCD to preview the exposure? Also is the LCD screen set below average brightness? Ideally the exposure should look right before ass well as after the take.

If you have upgraded the firmware, need to turn camera off and on again right away.

I'm rambling, good luck

11. Márton Kopasz

Márton Kopasz New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you for the answers.

There isn't any exposure compensation and effect set, just Auto ISO and multi exposure metering, RAWs are overexposed but as soon as I set fix ISO or frame metering the exposure becomes perfect. If there's anyone out there with X-A3 and firmware 2.21 might confirm that it's a software bug or an unique case.

12. Márton Kopasz

Márton Kopasz New Member

-Return to Top-

Default sensitivity was 200 and tried it in low lights with the same overexposure in the end.

13. Márton Kopasz

Márton Kopasz New Member

-Return to Top-

All those overexposed shots show DR200.

14. Márton Kopasz

Márton Kopasz New Member

-Return to Top-

Both the RAW and Jpegs are the same overexposed. I wonder if I miss something.

15. Mike7

Mike7 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ok, I will write it again. Have you tried to make the same frames using different methods of measuring light? Spot, center and matrix? I had such effects using in the difficult lighting conditions measurement in matrix mode. It helped to switch to point mode.

16. Márton Kopasz

Márton Kopasz New Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, once setting average photometry fixed the issue, now it doesn't but no matter what I set, the problem only occurs with electronic shutter, mostly when Auto-ISO and DR200+ is set along it. I think I'll ask Fuji, once I figure this out I'll update here. And if you have the same camera and firmware, please make a test.