This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Would you buy a rangefinder style MF camera?

Discussion in 'GFX 50S' started by Richard_R, Jul 11, 2017.

?
  1. Hell yes. Where do I sign?

15 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No thanks I already have the GF-X

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Yep I have a GF-X but it needs a sibling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Do they take trades I'd rather have the RF than the SLR style body?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I can't afford it but I have GAS so I will drool and buy lottery tickets

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. What on earth has he been smoking this time?

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. blacksheep

blacksheep Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am hoping that Fuji strongly consider another design option for the camera. RF style would be the bee's knees.

2. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The options are:
    • eye-level SLR [like the Pentax 6x7];
    • Texas-size Rangefinder as Fuji did one time;
    • Waist-level reflex [like a Hasselblad and every competitive camera since];
    • TLR from way back
    The GFX is neither any of the above, but I still like a waist-level reflex in Medium Format since my Hasselblad days. A waist-level mirror-less camera for tripod-mounting would rekindle my desire...gave up weight lifting long ago.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  3. Dr.S

Dr.S Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My permanent unanswered question is why on earth camera manufacturers design mirrorless cameras in SLR design...?
    (except few models)

blacksheep likes this.
  4. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

I agree, unless it makes sense of course. The real issue here is: Are cameras designed to facilitate use or are the designed to cater to known ergonomics and habits?

As a career technologist I can tell you that very few frequent/familiar users of any like change. So, to some extent we will carry forward some sins from the past with camera design. The truth is that most of us hate menus or having unmarked controls (like thumb wheels for aperture settings) but the alternative is pretty much what we had with SLRs.

I love RF design and feel, I really like being able to change most anything without taking my eye from the camera, but there will always be limitations to this. I think in terms of what is out there, both past and present, the manual film-based SLR and RF designs are still the benchmark in many ways for both usability and ease of learning.

A lot of left eye shooters benefit from the raised center hump of the SLR design and now it permits a much larger display than does an RF design of similar characteristics.