This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Williamsburg, Brooklyn. A7ii + Rokinon 85 & Tamron 17

Discussion in 'Sony Mirrorless Discussion' started by Activatedfx, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Activatedfx

Activatedfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've lived in Brooklyn (DUMBO/Vinegar Hill) for almost 4 years now, but I have never gone to Williamsburg, which just a short 25 minute walk from my apartment. It's not a very picturesque walk because it runs around the Brooklyn Navy Yard, so everything is fenced in and much of it is in disrepair, but once past that area, I found Williamsburg to be pretty cool. Just as I imagined, it's like entering a completely different city compared to DUMBO. Very "open", and more of an old industrial feel. Completely different demographic as well. After a short time, I had an overwhelming urge to put my hair up in a "man bun", and get a few tattoo's! Ha ha! Everything you've heard about Williamsburg "hipsters" is true. Love it.

I took the A7ii and the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, which just might be my favorite lens. It's sharp, contrasty, great color and super smooth OOF rendering and bokeh. I feel like (on FF) it gives the closest approximation of a "Medium Format Look" that I will ever get without a true MF camera. The Contax 100/2 is a hair sharper, and has a hair more micro-contrast, but images from the Rokinon have a quality that always makes me happy. And it's the least expensive lens I own! I also took my Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5 to get some ultra-wide shots of the Williamsburg Bridge.

All A7ii + 85/1.4 or 17/3.5. All wide open. I haven't converted to B/W in awhile, but I felt these photos felt best in B/W. I used a free set of high quality LR presets I found many years ago. (Please login to view links)

Williamsburg Bridge from Shaeffer Landing park. (Tamron SP 17/3.5)
    DSC05276.jpg

NYC skyline from Grand Ferry Park. (Tamron SP 17/3.5)
    DSC05297.jpg

Street Fair. There were areas of grass (sod placed on the street) to sit on, a pile of wood chips with people playing "Zombie", and a taped area "trapping" these faceless performers inside. This is Williamsburg! (Rokinon 85/1.4)
    DSC05303.jpg

I don't think the good people of Williamsburg like "The Donald". (85/1.4)
    DSC05307.jpg

Under the Williamsburg Bridge. I had pre-focused on the wall, and as I hit the shutter, this person walked through. Happy accident. It would be perfect if I hadn't cut off her feet, but I still like it. The shadows are awesome. (85/1.4)
    DSC05309.jpg

Mischa likes this.
  2. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

And a few more....

The walk-up to the Williamsburg Bridge pedestrian walkway.
    DSC05312.jpg

J Train. You can almost reach out and touch the trains as they pass by.
    DSC05320.jpg

The pedestrian walkway. There's a separate bike path on the other side, but I guess this guy didn't get the memo.
    DSC05324.jpg

Looking toward the Brooklyn Navy Yards.
    DSC05333.jpg

The Bridge tower.
    DSC05337.jpg

timichango, Mischa and niggyl like this.
  3. niggyl

niggyl Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Really liking #1 :)

Activatedfx likes this.
  4. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

Some impressive shots! Black & White suits them well.

Activatedfx likes this.
  5. timichango

timichango Grand Hoser of the North

-Return to Top-

Love these!

Activatedfx likes this.
  6. timichango

timichango Grand Hoser of the North

-Return to Top-

¬°DONALD ERES UN PENDEJO!

Activatedfx likes this.
  7. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

That was a particularly good day/set. Ironically, I had the Tamron 17/3.5 up on eBay for a few months with no bids. That weekend I decided to take it for a spin, and was considering keeping it after those 1st 2 photos, but that very evening someone bid on the lens! Arghhh!

8. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

I'm looking for a full-frame wide, and I'll check out the Tammy. I've already got the adapter, as I just sold my 90/2.5 macro without the adapter...:rolleyes:

9. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

Hey @pfogle - There is some stretching/softness in the corners with the Tamron 17/3.5 at 3.5, but it sharpens up when stopped down. I picked up a Contax 18/4 C/Y after I sold the Tamron 17, but IMHO that was NOT as good as the Tamron. Just sold that as well! I'm not really a "wide" shooter, so I may just stick with my contax 28/2.8 C/Y as my widest lens for now. That little lens is a gem.