This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Why I didn't buy an X-E3...

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by TonyWilkins, Nov 9, 2017.

1. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I understand your decision came down to quality, but it seems this would be reasonably far down a list of reasons as you're talking an X100 v. XE3. These are very different cameras.

Truth is, quality is far less important than it once was. No need to have that "Leica build" today as most of us will probably only keep a new camera today for 3-4 years, not for 10 years or longer as might have been done with a film camera.

Must add, I haven't noticed any issues with quality compared to other Fuji X cameras I've purchased since 2012.

mango likes this.
  2. DougMac

DougMac Premium Member

-Return to Top-

IMG_0053.JPG
    Hmm, I plan to keep the X-E3 for a while!

3. palane

palane Member

-Return to Top-

My intention too!

As far as Japan verus China QC goes, theres plenty of good product coming from both places.However on a production run,humans have not so good days and one human differs from another.So ANY product can vary,hence a warranty.

I'm new to Fuji(a bit over a year now)...more fun than some of the other brands(and i own most).My observations are the quality is as good as the opposition on a $ to $ basis.The old cliche of "you get what you pay for" is true.

rayvonn likes this.
  4. jptsr1

jptsr1 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Thought about your question a little more as a buddy of mine contemplating the X-E3 asked me almost the exact same thing last night. He asked "well how is it compared to any of your M's" so I grabbed one out of its short 48 hour post Fuji banishment and gave it a fondle. In my mind I had been comparing the fuji to my daily driver (my 6D with the 35 1.4 mounted) which is obviously not fair. Comparing it to an M or an M3 is a little more apples to apples. In the end the Fuji still looses in terms of build but it isn't as huge a gap. It comes down to the feel of the materials. Things like the seams, the thickness of the plastic in areas, the hinges and the tactile feel of the controls. Theres just a lot of "wiggle" everywhere which makes it seem cheep. Thing is though when I compare what both the M3 and the X-E3 are supposed to do there is an even bigger gap but in the X-E3's favor. There is just no comparison between the out of camera jpegs from this camera and my other small mirrorless ones.

So for me its absolutely worth overlooking my relatively minor build quality concerns in exchange for the quality output. You however were comparing Fuji to Fuji and had the added influence of "always wanting" a 100f so I think you made the right choice.

20171111_051533.jpg

20171111_051619.jpg

5. FMW

FMW Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I didn't buy an X-3 because my X-2 and X-1 do everything I need done and do it in a famously excellent manner. No more sensor chasing for me.

johant and rayvonn like this.
  6. TonyWilkins

TonyWilkins Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So I do believe I was unfair. However, I've been contemplating how much I love my XP1.I really love the graphite version of the XP2. I also really like having money in the bank lol. I've poured over the specs but they can only tell you so much. Unfortunately the local camera store only carries lenses and XT2s.

Anybody have both to give me a comparison?

7. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Me too, my choice is down to an X-E3 or 16mm F1.4. Choosing the X-E3 i that scenario seems a bit silly.

8. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Which both - X-Pro1 and X-Pro2?

9. TonyWilkins

TonyWilkins Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Was actually thinking X Pro 2 and XE3 but I'm open to thoughts between the 1 and 2 too. Just ordered the graphite Pro 2 but I'm second guessing (which I often do when I spend this much)

10. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Because my daughter did and get to borrow it for a test run before going any further.

First impressions from a quick hands on are favourable with no build quality control issues.
    Think I would like the additional grip and a soft shutter release, do wish Fuji would make the shutter button sit a bit higher.
    So much smaller and lighter then the Pro2, feels different to the X-E2 as well.
    Lack of D pad isn't a problem, joystick is a welcome addition instead

11. Primes4ever

Primes4ever Gear Nerd

-Return to Top-

Just bought mine yesterday, no quality issues on mine. Nice and light, like the layout. Love the joystick, getting used to the touch screen.

12. jptsr1

jptsr1 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Had a chance to re-fondle the X-Pro-2 again yesterday. I'll definitely be pre-ordering whatever the next iteration of that camera is. Most of the bells and whistles of my XE3 but rock solid. To be honest if I wasn't lured by the Bluetooth (which ended up being horrible) and the new algorithms (which the Pro2 is supposed to get in an update) I would probably have the current pro 2. Hindsight is 20/20. Still very happy with the XE3.

13. NickMilner

NickMilner Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A big part of your photography is how you feel when you're doing it. If the X100F makes you feel good (like it does me!) and makes you more likely to get out there and use it (important!) then you made the right decision. It's no more complicated than that. :)

14. DougMac

DougMac Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I lived with the X-Pro2 for a week and loved it. I can see the X-Pro2 in my future.

There were a couple of reasons why I ended up with the X-E3. It was my first foray into the Fuji world and I wasn't sure I could wean myself away from FF Canon DSLR's. I feel the X-Pro2 is a wonderful street camera and best suited to be used with primes, especially the Fujicrons. The minute you hang a zoom or a big lens or any lens outside the 23-55mm focal length, the OVF that adds some expense becomes extraneous. I was looking for something I considered a little more general purpose.

I also didn't feel the need for an extra memory slot since I'm not a professional and have lived with one slot for a while. Finally, I was looking for a smaller kit for travel and while the X-Pro2 is smaller, when I put it side by side to my ungripped 5D2 it wasn't that much smaller or lighter. The X-E3 was released and has almost everything that I liked about the X-Pro2 in the form factor and size I want. I'm very happy with it.

The Bluetooth is a PITA. I've finally found a way to use it the way I want, which is to choose photos for transfer. I found the easiest way is to make my selections, then turn the camera off. I get a message on my iPad and if I'm connected to a different wi-fi site, I just go into settings, select the camera and the files download automatically.

jptsr1 likes this.
  15. jptsr1

jptsr1 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Great points and we have a similar path to Fuji. Although I'm not trying to ween myself from my DSLR's. I see Fuji as complementing my overall kit. I was also very interested in the size factor both for travel and just everyday walk around. My XE3 gives me almost everything I want except the build quality. There's no getting around the fact that the camera feels less robust than what I'm used too. Maybe the next Xpro whatever will be a good compromise.

DougMac likes this.
  16. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I reckon you need both, some good points and I use a Pro2 in conjunction with a X-E2.
    Probably end up getting the E3 one day, but for now the above combo works fine.

DougMac likes this.
  17. jptsr1

jptsr1 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!