This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Why are 4 out of 6 focal lengths in "Mount Adaptor Setting" fixed?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by ojporqpojrewpo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It seems to me that Fuji Engineers did not even do a good job appealing to Leica shooters because if they had, they would have also included 50, 90, and 135mm lenses in their fixed focal lengths.

2. specLegacy

specLegacy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think the point is not that Fuji should have chosen a different set of focal lengths to pre-set, but that they should have left more (or ideally all) slots open to be set by the user. It seems almost like they added this feature to make it look like they support using adapted lenses, but then made it as limited/cumbersome as possible to actually discourage users from using adapted lenses.

StephenL likes this.
  3. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There certainly are with Leica mount lenses, including my Voigtlander ones!
    Nikon mount on the other hand are fine, Pentax too.

Gerry

4. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji has no obligation to support anyone else's lens...legacy or new.

Fuji M-adapter has a reduced "throat" for accommodating the contact pins...just in case you want to use M-lenses but also want some EXIF data logging as well.

Don't like their M-adapter? Buy a generic one for $10 on eBay. Don't fret about infinity focusing...a DoF table will tell you much.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Which lenses have issues, and do you have supporting data? It was my understanding that only the early Voigtlander 15mm had real issues. I'd like to know what's wrong with the Voigtlander 21mm, as that's a lens I'd like to have. Thanks in advance for the info.

6. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

More user-determined slots would be nice, I agree, I was just taking exception to all the folks who seem to be peeved about particular focal lengths that they dislike being included. It's kind of funny, almost like focal-length bigotry. Please don't take my comments too seriously folks. No harm was intended. Those just happen to be some of my very favorite focal lengths in adapted lenses.

If the adapted-lens menu as it stands now is too much for such an impatient person to handle then perhaps all-manual adapted lenses would be difficult for them as well. All we are talking about here is mounting a lens and pushing a button a few times. That's really not all that cumbersome.

Certainly, some reasonable number of user-determined slots would be nice. Perhaps we should hold a vote and put the most popular 4 adapted lenses on the permanent slot roster and send those Leica-esque interlopers back where-ever they came from.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

On the other hand, no doubt the adapted-lens menu item could be a bit better designed. How about having a dozen user-determined slots that a person sets up in the menus, but can scroll through and select from in the Q-menu?

8. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes the 15 vers 1 has a lot of light fall off in the corners at least, (and the vers 2 is the same optically), the 21/4 some but less so, I am away from home at the moment but when I return in a few days I'll have a look at what Lightroom does with them. Neither is as sharp in the corners as the Fuji 14 and 23/2 until well stopped down.
    Voigtlander 28/1.9 is good, reputedly better than the later f/2 version.
    Both my 35s are ok (Voigtlander 35/2.5 and Summicron asph 35/2) but need stopping down to get near to the Fuji 35/2 in edge sharpness.
    Again, I'll check what else the Lightroom profiles do to them when I an home

Gerry

beakhammer likes this.
  9. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Thanks. I have the Voigtlander 35mm/2.5, and use it on film cameras. It is fun to use on my X-Pro1 because it is tiny, but as you say it is not as sharp, and the fine contrast gradations are not as impressive, as my FX 35mm/1.4. However, sometimes I want a small portable lens more than I want tip-top optics, so as long as the IQ is pretty good, and the lens works on my film camera, I might want one.

10. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Impatience or difficulty are not always the issue. When shooting action events, sometimes it just takes too much time to go to the menu to change the focal length setting.

Xenon100F likes this.
  11. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

True.

12. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also have a CV LTM 35/2.5...before CV restyle the same lens into M-mount. The whole lens with adapter is only 36mm from flange. IQ is more than good enough for my print standard of 8x10.

13. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

That is the same lens I have. While the Fuji 35mm/1.4 is better, I have taken excellent photos with the little Voigtlander on my X-E2. When I am mountaineering I like to shoot both film and digital. The X-E2 with 18mm/2 and a Voigtlander Bessa R film camera with the Voigtlander 35mm/2.5, a Jupiter 8 and the little FX-LSM adapter make a very light package and give me four different fields of view to work with. The small camera bodies and lenses are easier to handle when mountain climbing as well.

14. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I bought the little voigtlander 21 and 35 lenses to give me a modern experience on my Leica III, alongside the Leica lenses. I used to have a 21mm Elmarit asph in use on the M cameras and that was better than the voigtlander 21/4 until it was stopped down. The Elmarit went to fund the Xpro2 stuff, no regrets.

Gerry

15. StephenL

StephenL Pixel scutcher

-Return to Top-

Perfick!

beakhammer likes this.
  16. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

So the Voigtlander 21mm, when stopped down, was similar to the Leica 21mm lens? Is this comparison from use on the digital Fuji, or the film camera?

17. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

I am in the middle of re-thinking my own collection of lenses for 35mm format. For one thing I am moving over to medium format for my film work and would like to sell off some 35mm film cameras and lenses, keeping some of my favorites for when I want a small and handy camera, or want something cheap and sturdy to take into a hostile environment. However, because I like using the 35mm lenses on my Fuji cameras I need to sort through them, pick the ones that work best on digital cameras, and see what that tells me to get rid of.

18. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

On my M6ttl the Elmarit was sharper at 4 and 5.6 similar at 8, but I preferred the rendering of the Elmarit. On the Sony A7 the voigtlander was pretty useless, even at 8 there was 'smearing' at the edges. Its better on Fuji as the edges are cropped off by the aps-c sensor. The Elmarit asph was good on the A7 at 8 and 11, ok at 5.6, but in the end I rejected the A7 in favour of the Xpro2 for all sorts of reasons but mainly because of the ovf, and the evf is better. The Elmarit asph was too valuable an asset to sit on the Fuji's cropped sensor, amd was sold, the Fuji 14mm gives equivalent field of view and is really good at f/4, so gives me better photos (technically) and more possibilities.

Gerry

19. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Thanks. I keep coming to the same conclusion when I compare the latest Fuji cameras to the Sony stuff. I think Fuji did the right thing when they stuck to perfecting the APSc camera/lens system, and then jumped all the way to medium format for their high-resolution camera. Also, for me the way a general-purpose camera handles matters more than frames-per-second, pixel count, and similar specs. I'd also agree that the best Fuji lenses beat just about everything else out there for use on a Fuji. I still enjoy the different flavors that arise from using adapted lenses though, and plenty of the adapted lenses I use are more than good enough for the images I want to make with them.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  20. dko22

dko22 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had a 28mm Nikon f2.8 AIS. known as one of the best w/a lenses from the film era. This was fine with Nikon FF but soft towards the edges on my crop frame X-Pro2 whereas you might expect it to be the other way round. A different copy was even worse. I've read of many examples of wideangle lenses from different manufacturers where there were similar issues. On the other hand decent normal or telephoto lenses have always worked well with both Fuji and m43 systems.