This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Why are 4 out of 6 focal lengths in "Mount Adaptor Setting" fixed?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by ojporqpojrewpo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a few manual lenses but none of them have one of the predefined focal lengths. Why are there 4 fixed focal lengths and only 2 custom in that menu? This makes no sense.

2. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I suppose whatever they do that doesn't match an individual's manual lens collection would not make sense.

Xenon100F and beakhammer like this.
  3. StephenL

StephenL Pixel scutcher

-Return to Top-

I have already raised, as a suggestion to Fuji, that more "slots" should be customisable. The fixed slots reference the potential use of certain Leica lenses. But nowadays more people use lenses from other manufacturers, and therefore different focal lengths, than Leicas. I am not asking for more pre-configured slots, but more free-entry slots.

jknights and Irene McC like this.
  4. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The presets are all the short focal lengths which with Leica mount lenses give the most problems with light fall off in the corners and various coloured shading which needs correcting, presumably if you are using the Fuji M to Fuji adapter which allows access to those corrections in the camera they can be saved for regular use? I only have a cheapo adapter at the moment so correction is done in Lightroom.
    Beyond 35mm correction is not really necessary with most lenses.

Gerry

5. StephenL

StephenL Pixel scutcher

-Return to Top-

Agreed. I'm not really worried about lens corrections, more the correct recording in the exif of focal lengths.

Irene McC likes this.
  6. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Beyond Exif, entering the focal length of an adapted lens allows the X-Pro cameras to adjust the frame lines to the correct size.

I use a ton of adapted lenses, so there would need to be a couple of dozen custom slots, at least, to accommodate all of the focal lengths I use. Having just two custom slots (that's what my X-E2 provides) is a reasonable compromise, allowing me to quickly swop between a couple of favorite lenses while on an outing. I usually leave one of the custom slots set at 400mm, to match the lens I most often grab in a hurry when my local owls show up, and use the other custom slot to set for whatever lens I am mounting. It only takes a few seconds to reset the focal length. Scrolling through the focal length options is about the same as scrolling through a couple of dozen pre-set custom options.

It would be nice if there were about 4-5 customizable slots to match the fixed ones.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    jknights likes this.
  7. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

My X-E2 has fixed slots for 21mm, 24mm, 28mm and 35mm. The few fixed focal length slots come in handy when mounting one of those focal lengths. I often use 24, 28 and 35mm lenses, though I do not own any Leica glass. Almost every lens maker makes lenses in these focal lengths; they are very common among adapted lenses. I'd like to have a 21mm, and someday I will. Voigtlander, Pentax (and probably others) currently make lenses in 21mm (and older all-manual copies are to be found), so no need to buy Leitz.

The Fuji focal lengths of 23mm and 27mm are the oddballs. 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm are extremely common.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  8. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I MF by default with LTM/M-lenses, set camera to "shoot without lens" and FL at 28mm [my 1C1L outfit], and swap lenses [rarely] as I please.

Never needed the EXIF data, never shot so much I'd forget...never cared.

9. merosen

merosen Active Member

-Return to Top-

on a side note:
    The only adapter that Fuji made is a Leica M mount.
    Thus the corresponding presets.

10. StephenL

StephenL Pixel scutcher

-Return to Top-

I'm very happy for you. A useful contribution.

vague_logic likes this.
  11. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I can see where they are coming from with the Leica lenses but we still need more custom slots. Or make all of them custom and Leica users can enter theirs.

StephenL likes this.
  12. dko22

dko22 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

what Fuji should do, like Nikon, is allow you also to set the maximum aperture of the lens so the EXIF info will be closer to complete with a fixed MF lens. I agree that their stupid system of having four presets in focal lengths (which many people don't use anyway because of the issues adopting wideangles) is frankly one of the most annoying things with the X-Pro2. At least it was as I've now sold all my legacy lenses except for one superb Nikon 50mm AIS but I have the Samyang fisheye and even with a modern lens, you still can't programme the EXIF properly.
    David

StephenL likes this.
  13. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

With the Nikon system you need to set the max aperture so that the aperture feeler can work out what the lens is set to, otherwise the metering wouldn't work with the lens at max aperture (the auto diaphragm is working on the lens). As a bonus you get the actual aperture recorded in exif.
    On the fuji there is no communication between lens and body with adapted lenses, the metering works in stopped down mode, and there is no way the body knows what actual f stop is in use so cant record it in exif. All you'll get is the max aperture you have set, which IMHO would be more confusing than useful.

Gerry

dko22 likes this.
  14. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree!

My X-Pro1 has four fixed focal lengths (21, 24, 28, and 35). The 28mm is the only one I routinely use. My Fuji 23mm f/1.4 lens makes using my adapted 21mm Leitz and 24mm Nikon lenses unnecessary. Also, I rarely use my adapted 35mm Nikon and 35mm Leitz lenses on my Fuji body because the 35mm focal length on an APS-C body is not a favorite of mine.

I normally keep the two custom settings on 12mm for my 12mm f/2 Rokinon and on 135mm for my 135mm f/2 Zeiss. When I shoot macro, I change these two custom settings to 55mm and 105mm for my two Nikon macro lenses.

I would be more than willing to give up two presets for two additional custom settings.

StephenL likes this.
  15. specLegacy

specLegacy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Agreed. Why have any hard-coded focal lengths at all? Make all 6 slots customizable, please!

Xenon100F, Irene McC and StephenL like this.
  16. dko22

dko22 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ok, I feared there was a technical reason like this so Fuji is at least off the hook on that one! But Fuji must be aware of the aperture as it exposes correctly so is there nothing that can be done?

17. StephenL

StephenL Pixel scutcher

-Return to Top-

I don't think the camera can know the aperture on manual lenses. The aperture is set by the human with no link to the camera, and the camera sets the shutter speed/ISO according to the amount of light coming through the hole. In theory the lens doesn't even have to touch the body. So I think we're stuck with that one!

18. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

The camera measures the amount of light coming through the lens, but has no idea what the aperture is on an adapted lens, since there are no electronic connections to relay that information to the camera.

19. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

The engineers at Fuji may not have known about your preferred focal lengths.

20. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

There are no "issues" with 21mm, 24mm, 28mm, or 35mm focal lengths.