This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Which shutter function?

Discussion in 'GFX 50S' started by fishjump, Sep 12, 2017.

1. fishjump

fishjump Member

-Return to Top-

I almost exclusively shoot landscapes, and have been using ES. Iv'e heard (although I can't now find the source) recently that I may be better served using EFCS? Giving the abundance of shutter options, it's confusing.

I'm well aware of the problems with ES regarding moving objects, but I'm yet to find a rock or tree moving that quick

2. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

The only worry you might have is shutter vibration from a mechanical first shutter action - closing the live-view to prepare for the exposure. Either of the options you mentioned have an electronic first curtain, so will solve the issue of vibration. Apart from the fact the ES is silent, there's nothing to chose between them.

3. fishjump

fishjump Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, for your response. It's as I thought, stay with ES unless I have something moving fairly fast.

4. Left Eye

Left Eye Member

-Return to Top-

If you are shooting hand-held there is also the risk of some wobbly distortion, the manual states ES will be a problem at higher shutter speeds. If you choose EFCS, at high shutter speeds the camera will automatically switch to MS - which will give the best results, EFCS is where the camera's intelligence seems to be.

The GFX has a very slow ES transit time, 1/4 second. On a tripod even moving branches could be a problem.

Jim's done the most detailed analysis of the ES,

Please login or register to view links
    & had some fun with it
    Please login or register to view links

I shoot landscape, portraits, product photography, and use EFCS, it's vibration free (when it matters, at the start of the exposure) you have the faster moving mechanical shutter in the mix to eliminate the wobble you might see from the purely ES, and EFCS automatically switches to MS when required. I read other peoples advise a few months ago and think EFCS is a wide choice.

dem likes this.
  5. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This 1/4 second can be easily verified without the need for an oscilloscope.

The light coming from a fluorescent light source flickers every 10 msec in Europe. So, if one counts about 25 horizontal lines in their image, that would be about 10x25=250 msec or about a quarter of a second.

AFAIK, the ES read out times are:
    67 msec for the X-T1
    45 msec for the X-T2
    250 msec for the GFX50S

The X-T1 figure is accurate (about 2% error) as I measured it myself but I am not sure how accurate the other two figures are. 10%?

6. fishjump

fishjump Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Left Eye. I had actually read Jim's article, but it didn't quite answer my question.

I'm going to assume that you are referring to using "EFCS E-Front Curtain Shutter", as opposed to the other option"EFCS E-Front Curtain + ES Electronic"

TIA

7. Left Eye

Left Eye Member

-Return to Top-

Yes the straight 'EFCS'. I would not advise 'EFCS+ES'.

Only EFSC will automatically switch to MS when shutter speeds are fast enough to cause issues with the ES (in this case the front curtain ES).

I really recommend EFCS, it's one of the strong points of the camera; choose the setting then forget it, it'll give you the best results whatever you are shooting and at whatever shutter speed.

The only reason to use ES is when you don't want the shutter to be heard at all, and you are aware of the possible issues it may cause (-not only from subject movement also florescent lights), but those occasions are rare when you'd need only ES (and are prepared for it's issues).

Use EFCS, or at least try it! - I would never now use anything else.

8. fishjump

fishjump Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you.

9. deeel

deeel Member

-Return to Top-

At fotocare (NYC) today I met Justin Stailey a Sr. Product Mgr. for FujifilmUSA and when I told him of my not all together completely sharp results with the rented GFX he said to only use EFCS to eliminate any shutter shake at speeds slower than 1/500. The shutter reverts to mechanical at the 1/500 threshold. Also at the store was the NY rep for Fuji (Brandon, I think) who showed me the 45mm lens on a GFX body. Very nice combo. Jonas Rask (jonasraskphotography.com) has very nice things to say about this lens and body for MF street shooting!
    My GFX with 32-64 lens arrive tomorrow!

David