This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What's with the blinking green light?

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, X70, XF10' started by LincolnLogs, Jun 1, 2011.

1. LincolnLogs

LincolnLogs Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The manual sez, when you get a solid green light, focus is locked. If you get a blinking green light it means; blur,focus or exposure warning- picture can be taken. What the blazes does that mean? It ain't right , but you can take the picture anyway?

Lincoln

2. viramati

viramati Premium Member

-Return to Top-

not sure I've never had a blinking green light. I presume you mean that the focus area which normally turns green or red if no focus is made blinks green.

3. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I just tested your observation: I get the blinking green light when I am AF focusing to something really close when in OVF. At the same time, the OVF displays the AF frame in red, and also shows an "AF!" warning. However, if I fully depress the shutter, the camera will take the picture even if it is completely blurred.

That's exactly how I want the camera to behave - I don't want it to patronize me. If the pictures don't come out right, it's always a level 8 problem.

4. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Yes I agree.
    Let's hope they dont change.

5. LincolnLogs

LincolnLogs Premium Member

-Return to Top-

To be clear,

The blinking green light is on the rear of the camera(not the focusing frame). Sometimes that light is hidden under your right hand. I have never seen the focusing square blink, either it is white, green or red.

Lincoln

6. Rob7711

Rob7711 New Member

-Return to Top-

If this is in reference to the read/write led on the rear of the camera body then good question. I was just wondering about it too just last night. The focus indicator was green but yet this led blinks and then switches to write (red) after the shutter is released. Wonder why it does that too.

7. wchutt

wchutt Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have never seen my focus frame turn red.

I do not trust the focus frame being green as a confirmation of focus. Have other found a green focus frame to be 100% reliable? I have only found the focus beep to be 100% reliable.

I could be doing something wrong. Please advise.

8. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Well, this will happen consistently if you're trying to do AF on an object at a distance smaller than 2ft while using the OVF.

Careful - thre green frame or the beep are just indicating that AF has locked on something, it doesn't indicate it has locked on the object you specifically wanted it to lock on! It's still a good idea (a) to check the distance scale for plausibility, and (b ) to either chimp your picture, or change over into EVF if you're trying to focus on an object that is less than 10ft away from you. Otherwise, you might become a victim of parallax errors.

9. lnbolch

lnbolch Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Area auto-focus mode is selected, and the focus frame is placed where the subject will be in the image, assuming it is not just a grab shot. Then the frame is placed upon the subject—generally the face. When it turns green, I shoot. I will say 100% success in well over a thousand exposures so far. I have all sounds turned off—silence is a great virtue with this camera, since 95% of my shots are of people.

Shooting in available darkness conditions, I have seen the red-frame a few times. A shift to a more contrasty part of the face usually fixes it. Of course, under any lighting conditions, trying to focus in the macro range using the OVF will bring about the warning as it should.

10. SausalitoDog

SausalitoDog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's exactly right. Many cameras using autofocus will not release the shutter until they have a positive focus; some actually allow you to turn that on or off as a user setting.

tom

11. Miguel salgado

Miguel salgado New Member

-Return to Top-

I think i'm having the same problem. The back light blinks without pressing the shutter and start to close the aperture even though the aperture set it's wide open.