This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What's the purpose of the rumored GFX 50R (Fuji's medium format digital rangefinder)?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm X News & Rumors' started by HansA, Dec 6, 2017.

1. HansA

HansA Member

-Return to Top-

Hi,

As far as I understand, the two generations of X-Pros with their OVF are made to be used primarily with semi wide angle to short telephoto prime lenses and thus particularly suitable for street photography - I'm wondering what would be the case with the future/rumored GFX 50R (R for rangefinder)?

It would certainly be bigger (compared to X-Pro), heavier, and as an interchangeable lens system, won't be compact either. Would it be marketed to people who just prefer the rangefinder as opposed to SLR form factor? As a complete beginner to photography, I seem to see that image quality doesn't sit particularly high on the list for street photographers. I know that some of you have been using medium format film rangefinders, perhaps you could give some idea on why people would choose the GF's future RF compared to SLR format?;)

2. HansA

HansA Member

-Return to Top-

Well, as I read further that the price is supposed to be around 2/3 (around $4000) of the current GFX 50s, it could be a nice but still very pricey "gateway drug" to the Fuji's digital medium format system.

Could look nice with the GF63mm on..., still big though. Can't wait to see. Maybe Fuji can offer them as a bundle for $4500.

3. jptsr1

jptsr1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Right in my wheelhouse (price-wise anyway). Cant wait for the reviews. I want to see how it does against the 5Ds dollar value for dollar value.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  4. monst

monst Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It would be nice if they did make a real rangefinder again. Used to love the 6x9 Fuji's

5. JonPB

JonPB Member

-Return to Top-

Film rangefinders are great because they are so compact, regardless of film size. The rangefinder mechanism requires width, which most cameras have anyway, while through-the-lens mechanisms require enough length for the mirrorbox plus height for the prism and eyepiece. Of course, today’s digital cameras offer TTL focusing by reading the sensor directly, which allows them to be at least as small as a rangefinder.

Which is to say, I suggest looking at the difference between EVF and OVF, not historical form factor. EVFs offer a preview of the captured image while OVFs offer a slice of the scene to be captured. Both have benefits and drawbacks. The main benefit of an OVF is that it shows the scene’s full dynamic range while an EVF can hide shadow or highlight detail. A window finder, like in a rangefinder, also allows the eye to see outside of the frame, which some like and others don’t.

Modern window finders tend to be more expensive than EVFs, so I don’t know how the 50R will cost 2/3rds as much as the 50S. Could be that the interchangeable finder of the 50S makes it as expensive as a fixed OVF, and they both will be around the $4,000 mark.

Window finders also work best with small lenses. The GFX lenses aren’t huge, but the finder would need to be a good distance from them to show a clear view of the scene, making the 50R much larger than the 50S.

So I’m not sure how it’ll all come together, but Fujifilm seems to make mostly wise decisions in its designs, and it’ll be great to see what they release.

6. TonyWilkins

TonyWilkins Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Do we know if it will have the hybrid or just evf rangefinder style?

7. DougMac

DougMac Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's a good question. I'm interested because rumors have the price as lower than the GFX 50s. The X-Pro2 is more expensive than the X-T2.

I have seen videos of photographers using the 50s for street photography. I guess Fuji figures there's a market for that form factor. I wonder if there will be other attributes to set it apart.

There have been some classic film medium format cameras in the past, including the Koni Omega, which was popular with newspaper photographers because of its rapid film advance lever. Here are others: Please login or register to view links

8. HansA

HansA Member

-Return to Top-

I was thinking along the lines that the RF form factor is the stripped version of the 50S (but with OVF) thus the price difference (e.g no detachable viewfinder, flippy screen, top e-ink display, battery/vertical grip, and probably less video capability among others) but what you said that the 50S' price would come down to match the 50R seems to make more sense.

Regarding the OVF, I do know that some people like to work with it but as it seems that the GFX system is marketed more towards professional photographers, I'm not sure if the profit from selling a medium format RF form factor camera with more restricted functions like the X-Pro (compared to X-T1/2) but with an OVF could justify the R&D cost in this segment. Perhaps the profit is secondary to other factors like establishing Fuji's identity in photography, but what do I know :p

Good question. I assume that it will have a hybrid viewfinder like on the X-Pro.

The "Brenizer effect" mentioned on that page looks very cool!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  9. Martin E

Martin E Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Where is all this information about the new camera coming from?

Topsy likes this.
  10. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you go to mirrorlessrumors dot com and go down to Dec.4 there's something about it. Also Fujirumors dot com on Dec. 2.

11. lawsofphysics

lawsofphysics Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The primary purpose of an RF style OVF is when able to compose with awareness of what's outside the frame is more important than precise framing. This is often the case in dynamic, spontaneous circumstances often encountered during candid photography of strangers.

Other advantages are clearer viewing in low light; avoiding aliasing flicker from frequenc- modulated light sources and slightly reduces power consumption.

DougMac likes this.
  12. Finder

Finder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am not sure that was the primary purpose of RF frame lines, just a happy accident. The other difference with viewfinders is that the entire scene is sharp, so nothing is obscured by depth of field. You can see all elements. The down side is you cannot judge depth of field.

13. HansA

HansA Member

-Return to Top-

I do understand the main benefits of RF form factor for photographers but in this case, I'm especially trying to understand why Fuji wants to develop this camera.

Digital medium format is still very expensive for your average photographers and the X-Pro2 is already awesome enough if you like using OVF to take photos in the street. Would there be enough street photographers who would jump the ship to medium format because of this camera to justify its existence? Why would professional photographers choose this over the GFX 50S?

I have a hunch that Fuji is willing to take some losses just to develop this camera and launch it to the public. Rangefinder cameras are part of Fujifilm's heritage anyway, it would be a shame if they don't continue to bring them into the modern age.

14. Finder

Finder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji has never followed the herd with camera design. And their camera division has probably never been a profit maker. I am sure if they continue to break even, they will be around. You might enjoy this:

Please login or register to view links

HansA likes this.
  15. HansA

HansA Member

-Return to Top-

That was an eye opener. It's interesting to know that Fujifilm's photographic division only contributes 1% to their total profit!

I guess Fuji doesn't have anything to lose with its camera division and the people there can do anything they want :p

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  16. The Judge

The Judge Active Member

-Return to Top-

There has been a rich history of 20th century street photography shot on medium format film, though typically with chimney finders. The original photojournalists at the end of the 18th and through the 19th centuries used even much more cumbersome equipment.

The benefits for me would be the native 4:3 aspect ratio and a Bayer sensor.

Also, to answer your question from a business sense, a compact rangefinder style body could position itself as a competitor to Hasselblad's X1D. Fujifilm and Hasselblad took different approaches to their mirrorless medium format systems: Fujifilm positioned itself as a fully-featured professional system with maximum flexibility while Hasselblad was more pared down and portable. They both went for different markets but Fujifilm could have two lines that cover both.

A truly radical medium format system would be a box with a 44x33mm sensor, computer and lens mount that would fasten to the back of a tablet. You would use the screen of your tablet as the viewfinder. It would be like a digital view camera.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017