This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What films are you shooting? Please post examples.

Discussion in 'Other Cameras' started by beakhammer, Nov 25, 2015.

1. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have used an app to measure shutter speed through sound, with my iPad. The trick is in learning to analyze the sonogram to determine which spikes represent the opening and closing of the shutter. I found that leaf shutters were a lot easier to interpret than an SLR, where the mirror sound can be confused with the shutter, and where focal plane shutters may make more than one noise as they fire. This sonogram is relatively easy to interpret at the slower shutter speeds, and at slower speeds the opening and shutting of the shutter provide a good measure of how much light is getting through. At the fastest speeds the sonogram can be harder to read, and the time from "snick" to "snack" may not be a precise measure of the amount of light getting through either, since the shutter mechanism travel is a factor as well (both leaf shutters and the way focal plane curtains interact can make this calculation less straightforward than a simple unit of time.

Now I have an electronic device that measures the shutter speed by shining a beam of light through the camera body to a receptor on the lens side This is precise at all shutter speeds.

The shutter speed-measuring app is worth a try. It should give you a good idea of the speed of your most important mid-range and slower speeds, and as long as you know what the speeds are, and have a way to set the shutter manually, you are good to go.

The good news is that print film is very forgiving, even if the shutter is off, you will get good results, and by learning from your results you can adjust exposure to where you want it by experience.

Activatedfx likes this.
  2. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Even though, as Robert points out, exposure is not a big deal with print film, it can be good to know what your mid-range speeds actually are so that you know where to set them for hand-held shots. It is fairly common for old leaf shutters to be 1/2 normal speed, so you may need to make your minimum hand-held speed one step higher than expected.

On the other hand I have some very old shutters that are very very accurate.

3. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I'd be very surprised if the shutter is off enough to matter. Generally speaking with the leaf shutters in 1970s era cameras, if they work at all, they are accurate enough. :)

4. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Most of mine are quite good. The worst of them tend to be running at around 1/2 speed (and these are mostly from the 1950s), so it's easy to compensate by adjusting 1 stop, and as you say it is not that important with print film anyhow.

5. Activatedfx

Activatedfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the tip Robert!

I've lost 3 days of my life researching all of this, and the battery issue seems to be solvable in many ways. The Yashica GX (which uses different batteries from the more common GSN) can take a standard Hearing Aid battery - the Zinc Air or Duracell 675, which are the correct, 1.4v voltage (x2 batteries). The Canonet can replace the original PX625 mercury with either an Energizer E625G, or the Wein Cell PX625 Air-Zinc, which is the correct 1.35v, and good for @3 months of shooting. Luckily I can buy both either on Amazon or right here in NY at Adorama.

6. Activatedfx

Activatedfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm hoping the Canonet is spot on, since I paid quite a bit more for a "tuned up" copy! As I said, the Yashica GX will be more suspect, since it was not CLA'ed.

I plan to eventually take both out and do side-by-side comparison photos. That will reveal any exposure problems, as well as which lens is better, and ultimately help me decide which camera I want to keep and use.

beakhammer likes this.
  7. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I don't like the Wein zinc air batteries. They do have a flat voltage curve but they are expensive and don't last long at all (they start dying the second they are exposed to air) unlike the silver oxides which can hold a charge for years.

I bought some of Eveready 357s for about $1.50 ea, shipped.

If you go with the hearing aid zinc air batteries, just add the o-ring and it will work in your Canonet. This is much cheaper than the Wein cells.

beakhammer likes this.
  8. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Good plan.
    I have to agree with Robert about the batteries.