This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Voigtlander 21/4 IQ Problem

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by bonesetter, Dec 6, 2018.

1. bonesetter

bonesetter New Member

-Return to Top-

I have been eyeing this lens for a while to try on my X-T20, and pulled the trigger on a 'mint' eBay used copy, which duly arrived today...

Of course I went out straight way with it, and walked over my local hills (the light was dismal, but hey ho, a new to me Voigt and all)

On looking at the images back at home, it is straight away apparent something is not quite right

Now, please note I know almost nothing about lenses, but 'decentered' immediately comes to mind

Here are some shots, including one of my shed, taken straight on. To my mind, the left of the images are better than the right, which to my eye are nothing short of awful

Any feedback much appreciated, as I will have to contact the seller for a return

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AndyH44

AndyH44 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Tend to agree with you. I wouldn't keep it either!

3. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Based on these three images, I would not accept this lens.

The chromatic aberration (purple fringing) is also not very good. Even on the left side of the image you can see quite a bit. This can often be cleaned up considerable in post processing and you might try just to see how good you can get the left side twigs to clean up. That might give you an idea of what you will encounter with a "good" copy of this lens. This effect is most noticeable in just this kind of image, a flat lighted image with small thin objects (e.g. twigs) against a strongly lighted background.

Hope this goes smoothly.

Roger

4. bonesetter

bonesetter New Member

-Return to Top-

It's disappointing, there's sooo many fine examples of what this lens has captured - Fuji body too

The lens seems pretty much brand new. So nice looking on the T20 (silver lens/black body)

5. daggy

daggy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Difficult to tell from your images but think you may be right, however the images also look as if they are not reaching infinity.

The voigt 21/4 is not a recommended lens to use with the fuji adapter.

Take a landscape shot at f4 focussed at infinity, if distant detail is not sharp the adapter needs shimming which is a very quick and easy task.

JimFenner likes this.
  6. cpu8088

cpu8088 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

it may not be the lens

what adapter u using?

7. bonesetter

bonesetter New Member

-Return to Top-

The main adapter is a Fuji one, not sure what the screw on one is

I do use a Voigtlander 15mm as well without issue

8. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 21/4is not as good at the edges as the 15mm (first version) that I have, it needs stopping down well to get edges sharper, but it should be even across the frame, if not then there are likely centring problems if the adapter is ok. I have never come across a LTM to M adapter with thickness problems, although mine are all either Leica or Voigtlander.
    If you lens is not as sharp one side as it is the other I would reject it, best test would be something around infinity at 5.6

Gerry

9. bralk

bralk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Roger Cicala on adaptors:

Please login or register to view links

10. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

But his main adapter is the Fuji, so should be good, and the LTM to M adapters are not usually a problem, I've been using them on leicas for 50 years.
    And in spite of Roger Cicala's reservations I've not found any visuallly evident problems with more than a dozen I've had over 4 sytems and 8 years, from cheapies to Fuji.

Gerry

11. bonesetter

bonesetter New Member

-Return to Top-

Here's one I have just taken (JPG straight out of camera) at 5.6 and at infinity

The same characteristics are present - right side is just way off, from foreground all the way out

[​IMG]

12. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Left sides not perfect but no worse than I would expect, right side is abysmal, de-centreing I think!

Gerry

13. daggy

daggy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Agreed, decentered.

14. digitalpatriot

digitalpatriot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Definitely a bad copy. But I would avoid using full frame lenses on crop image circles without a focal reducer anyway. Only very high end full frame lenses have the glass that can handle the magnification providing an optimal result. Such as any of the Sigma art series or Zeiss Otus. Some of the high end canons. but even then it's a waste. lots of excess size and weight.

Weaker lenses (than the ones like those mentioned above) are made even weaker when the sensor magnifies light from the center of the glass.

at 21mm, you are paying for extra glass engineered to project wide, only to have it act like a normal (cheaper to design) more standard lens (30mm) when mounted on crop. so you may as well get a standard (28-30mm) lens designed for your image circle. cheaper, and right for the job. A Fuji 18/2 would run circles around this, even with the best copy. just my own tip on this.

15. bonesetter

bonesetter New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for all the help and advice. I have now returned the lens

It's a shame, as I have been looking forward to dipping into trying some adapted lenses, that have character. I am quite pleased with the diddy little Voitlander 15mm, and have seen some decent looking results with this 21mm... maybe a good copy would be satisfactory

16. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've had mine for about 15 years to use in Leica III and M3, it does better on film than on Fuji but is normally a good lens.
    There is a contributor on this forum alled AdrianG I think who loved it for its rendering.
    Apart from the 21 I have the 15 v1 and also the 35/2.5 which also is better on film than Fuji. I have a 29/1.9 and a 75/2.5 which are both very good even on Sony A7 let alone aps-c.
    'Safe' alternatives are slr lenses, their more retrofocus design of shorter focal lengths suits digital sensors better than rangefinder lenses in general, Leica digital cameras have special sensors to cope better.

Gerry

17. yukosteel

yukosteel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd just try another Voigtlander sample, or double check the adapter thickness in left/right areas with caliper. My CV 21mm f/4 worked great on Fuji.

It's quite easy to check if lens is off-centered using Siemens Star chart.

18. daggy

daggy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I love my copy and use it extensively. Renders beautifully and a joy to use.

19. bonesetter

bonesetter New Member

-Return to Top-

Have you any examples/link?
    Cheers

20. daggy

daggy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi, I would estimate 90% of images I have posted here over past 12 months were shot with voigt 21 f4.