This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Tips for travel in Italy & Amsterdam

Discussion in 'General Photography Discussion' started by Vaibhav, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Vaibhav

Vaibhav New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi,

I'm in Italy & Amsterdam for almost 10 days each in November 2018. Not the best month but this is all I have.
    Since I've lived most of my life in Asia, can I request for tips on where it would be good to spend time doing landscapes - preferably long exposures in both these places.

Appreciate the support.

Thank you,
    Vaibhav

2. spudl

spudl Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In Italy definitely Tuscany. Florence and Sienna but also the smaller towns like San Gimignano, Volterra, Monteriggioni etc. Plus all the beautiful Tuscany scenery with light that's fabulous! All this plus great food and wine.

3. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Amsterdam is a relatively compact city, I would suggest the canals at nightime for long exposure.

Italy is a large country - any specific area you are travelling to, but most of it is pretty beautiful in my experience.

4. Vaibhav

Vaibhav New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi,

Thank you for your time.

I've not decide yet on where to travel. Will have my wife and 3 year old son along - so preference is a place where they can enjoy as well as us - Away from too many people :)

Regards,
    Vaibhav

5. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Take the Fuji XF 10-24 for interiors and narrow streets. Also take the Fuji XF 35 and 50 f2 lenses and you are set with a lightweight kit.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at Please login or register to view links or on Instagram at Please login or register to view links.

6. Ean50

Ean50 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Some month ago I wrote something for a friend of a friend trying to indicate some "minor" part of Italy to see.
    I'll copy here hoping to be anyway helpful also if it's not thought for a photographer !
    "
    Random suggestion for a trip in the “minor” Italy

Here some random suggestion based on my experience for some place to visit in Italy that is not always trivial to find in small guide.
    For sure there are many places that I don’t mention that worth a visit but that I don’t mention but only because I don’t know it !
    Starting from north east :

Dolomitiare the mountains located in Trentino Alto Adige (Trento e Bolzano) and they offer a beautiful scenario and fantastic walking tour also for non skilled people.
    On summer time especially there are many easy walking track in every corner.
    I know a little Val Rendena with many small valley around (as Val di Genova for example) with the view of Adamello mount. Many little torrents and cascades to walk trough.
    The kind af Alps in the West side of Italy (Val d’Aosta) are more savages and offer less from a touristic point of view are preferred by expert climbers or serious mountain lovers.
    If you like easy mountains more with more scenography the east side is far better.
    If you are interest in modern art museum down on the way to south don’t forget to visit MART museum in Rovereto(south from Trento).

Down from Dolomiti you get a region called Veneto.
    That’s a beautiful place with Veneziathat don’t need presentations but a visit that is a must is Verona. Verona is a small city near the lake of Garda that require a full day to be visited also if I suggest to spend maybe two or three days visiting the surrounding.
    You can stay in Verona or In the nearby ad visit also Peschiera del Garda, Sirmioneand Valeggio sul Minciowith the parco di Sigurtà on day two and Mantova on day three.
    Est from Verona must be considered to visit Vicenza, Padova and Chioggia.
    All are small cities that require at least half day each. Vicenza is small but Padova is bigger with many things to visit. Chioggia is on the seaside on the same laguna of Venezia. Chioggia is a “poor” village famous for fishing with a sad charming aspect especially from autumn to early spring. Could be less interesting in summer with mosquitos and hot humid weather.

In the middle of north Italy there is Milano. That is the economic capital of Italy that mix interesting art and cultural stuff with a vibrant nightlife.
    I’m not sure to suggest a visit because is the classic city that require to be understood to be appreciated. It means time to stay and to live in. Maybe could be good to spend two day visiting the cultural highlights only.

Torino worth a visit of two days but the surrounding are not special in my opinion so I’d live the north west area of Italy for future times.
    The area south of Torino between Asti and Ligura named Langhe is where the famous Borolo wine is made. Are smooth hills wit grape plantations that seems a poor Tuscany. I don’t like it in a special way.

Liguriais beautiful. Especially the area from Sanremo to Savona on the west and from Camogli to La Spezia in the east (Portofinoand Cinqueterreare most famous place around and are very characteristic).
    Crowded in the summertime is best to visit in autumn. Spring could be raining. If you don’t like to swim also winter could be an option.
    Local people are a little bit rude in the east part but places are magic.

Let me spend some word on Tuscany: too many things to see and to many historic places to visit. A real guide is far better than me but let me suggest to keep an eye on Pienzaand Val Norcia forbeautiful landscapes. Could be packed and towns could be seems a little false and a trap for tourist but viewings of the hills are spectacular and worth the visit if you are in the area.
    If you like seaside and Islands don’t forget to visit Isola d’Elba with a scooter in the right season. Beautiful Mediterranean Island with many small hidden corners to swim and some nice half mountain to walk. Packed in summer have the advantage to have a limited places to stay that limit the amount of tourist not over a certain quote.

Umbria, a must see, is a small central region that has much to offer also because is small enough to stay in one place and getting around from there with many very special places to get.
    I can bet that everybody get Umbria will be delighted.
    Perugiais the big and most famous place but must be visited all other places. Especially Assisi,a medieval place that is out of the time (half day), Spoletoa nice small town to be visited stopping in Spello, Foligno and Trevi.
    Orvieto with the astonishing Duomo and beautiful hills around.
    From there on I have to say that I have a partial knowledge of the rest of Italy until Sicily.

I know Rome that is a beautiful city to visit and some place nearby as Tivoli ,Anagni. Frosinone that are nice but I don’t have the idea to suggest a visit. Probably more for my ignorance that for the quality of the area.

Definitely worth a visit Napoli, Casertaand Costiera Amalfitana(the peninsula from Sorrento to Salerno) that are beautiful places and I I know, quite well but a guide is better than me.
    Many places in Puglia are interesting but I don’t know the region well enough to suggest something specific. Lecceseems to be beautiful but I never get there. The Alberobelloarea is very nice but I visited that area 40 years ago and I’m not updated. Foggiaand Garganopeninsulahave a good reputation but I never been there.

A region I know quite well and worth a trip is Sicily. All island is special and has many beautiful places to visit. Must be known that in summer could be very hot (but usually windy). I guide would be helpful more than me so let me only mention Palermo and surroundings (San Vito lo Capo, Scopello, Riserva dello zingaro). Egadi Island and Trapani are very nice and all the east coast is a must see. The Etna volcano is interesting and some island like Eolie are fantastic for people who like the sea. Let me suggest to visit the Villa Romana del Casale near Piazza Armerina in the inner part of the island. It is the ruin of a Roman Villa very well preserved that worth the diversion from the coast.

I have no more to say and I hope to have suggested some nice place that is not the usual Venezia, Firenze and Roma to see."

YogiMik likes this.