This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Thumbs Up or a Grip or both or nothing

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by kivis, Jan 12, 2018.

1. kivis

kivis Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It seems like every Fuji needs a little help in the grip department. What say you?

2. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For me, the starting point of buying an X-Pro2 is the fact it is rangefinder like - so comfortable in your hand. It does not need a grip. I have large hands. Never have I felt the need for a grip of any dimension. I believe the owner of an X-Pro simply needs to keep the camera with him/her all day, every day and, get the feel. Don't get caught up in buying another non beneficial accessory. Do you think photographers like Henry Carter Bresson or William Eggleston would have wanted a grip accessory? No way.

3. ThroughTheMind

ThroughTheMind New Member

-Return to Top-

To me, yes. I have an xpro1, xt1, and X-T2

4. Carolyn

Carolyn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

All my cameras have grips. 2 of them are half cases, 1 is a metal grip. It’s a personal choice. Maybe if I had stronger hands I wouldn’t feel the need but I like the extra grip it gives me with my bigger lens.

ThroughTheMind likes this.
  5. kenbennett

kenbennett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I like the Thumbs Up device. It replaces the film winding lever where Henri Cartier Bresson likely rested his thumb on his Leica.

Topsy and Robmas4229 like this.
  6. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

Yup, I have a Lensmate thumb grip on both my X100F and my XP2, it makes a world of difference. I used to use the original 'Thumbs Up' on my XE2, but they are priced so ridiculously high there is no value when compared to the Lensmate units.

I also use a soft shutter button, with these small additions the cameras fit is so perfectly natural - truly a joy to hold.

The real beauty of these types of additions is they cost very little and are easily undone at times when they are unwanted. Even a half case is more troublesome to remove than a soft release or thumb grip.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    kivis likes this.
  7. kivis

kivis Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the thumbs Up from Match Technical. Made of brass, does the job and looks awesome.

Shadowside likes this.
  8. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

Yes, I have the one for the XE2, and they are well made. But for the cost of one of those I can have one for each of my other cameras and truth be told, the folding of the lensmates are brilliant. I like the quality of the Match Technical's better, but not enough to part with that much cash for so little difference. Also, the Lensmates fit better than my Thumbs Up ever did.

9. Price

Price Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Unless trying to go really small and light, I have my JB Designs grip on my X-T1. And I always have it on with my 16-55 2.8, a pretty sizable lens.

10. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

I have a Fuji battery grip on each of my X-T2s for the several benefits they provide. In portrait mode the grip buttons are better placed. In landscape mode they give my large hands more to grip. They eliminate the need to carry extra batteries as the three batteries easily last a full day, and the grip charger charges 2 batteries simultaneously. The grip also has a boost mode that does not lead to battery depletion as quickly. In colder weather, three batteries seem to me to be better than one.

This does not prevent me from using the Lensmate thumb grip, but these are less necessary with the grip.

11. Musicophile

Musicophile Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I thought a thumb grip for my X100T was completely unnecessary until I bought the lensmate one in a sudden attack of GAS. Now I’m wondering why I waited so long to get one.

12. SithTracy

SithTracy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use a grip plus Lensmate thumb grip with the X-Pro1 and X-Pro2... My hands are freakishly large and my fingers are quite long. The camera comes close to disappearing in my hands and that is one of the things I like... It is much less intimidating in certain moments that I cannot do with my 5D Mark III (which is my favorite camera to hold). It's a more comfortable experience for me. Especially with the 90mm or the 55-200. I can go without the Lensmate with the smaller primes or kit zoom or when I am using a strobe trigger or hotshoe flash. I think it would boil down to comfort. When my daughter borrows my X-Pro1, she removes the grip but keeps the Lensmate. Do I think they are for everyone? Not at all... and I could get by without either (especially on the Pro2) if I needed to slip the camera in a large jacket pocket.

13. rmd

rmd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use the Lensmate and the Fuji half case on my XP2, the camera feels solid and comfortable in the hand.

14. jamescp

jamescp Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I would highly recommend a thumb grip to anyone. I had a Match Technical on my xp1 and liked it a lot but the lens mate on my xp2 is awesome the way it folds away to access the ISO dial. I was constantly accidentally changing the exposure dial until I started using the thumb grips and now it is never a problem. I switched to fuji to save weight and bulk and am not interested in grip for that reason.

15. Dr Settings

Dr Settings Member

-Return to Top-

I thought a thumb grip for my X100T was completely unnecessary until I bought the lensmate one in a sudden attack of GAS. Now i realise it really was unnecessary and I’m wondering how to create an eBay account to sell it.

16. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yep, back in the film days one always had the wind on lever at the half cock position thumb behind it. The Thumbs up (or variant) settles the thumb in the same area. In fact if memory serves on the Nikons you had to have the wind on lever at half cock because that was the power on switch as well (on the battery powered FMs etc).

17. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Back in the film days it served a purpose.

18. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Still does for me, makes the camera more comfortable in my hand.

19. rmd

rmd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In the digital age it also serves a purpose. Solid grip and comfort, also adds to stability.

20. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the Fuji metal grip on my Pro2, find the standard front grip a bit lacking and would want an Arca plate anyway.
    Also use a convex soft shutter button, but don't find a thumbs up is needed, do on my X-E2 though