This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Thoughts Please

Discussion in 'General Photography Discussion' started by DaveX, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:36 PM.

1. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had put some money aside so I could get the 35mm f2 at Christmas, so I gave the money to my mother for safe keeping ( I am terrible with it ). Well I have come back from mums today and she said that if as I gave her the money to keep she would put more to it and get me the 50-140mm, if I go for it then it would be in the summer I`d get the 35mm. I do shoot wildlife and landscapes and since mum has given me a choice I have been looking at reviews of the 50-140mm and think I`d be fine with it. So what I am saying is, would you get the 50-140mm this year, then get the 35mm next summer ? I could never get the 50-140mm on my own either.

2. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 50-140 is an excellent lens that I would not miss an opportunity to acquire.
    The 35mm is fine but you already have that focal length in several iterations and the fast 50-140 can do things your other lenses cannot. Such as your dog running and playing, for example. It is much larger and heavier than your other lenses, though - might need to pony up for another bag...

DaveX likes this.
  3. Marty M

Marty M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Get it while you can. It's way more versatile and will help you define a look, while the 35....not so much!

DaveX likes this.
  4. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you, she did say I could have a choice if any other lens was cheaper so I said, there is the 90mm f2 or 16-55mm. It was mum who said about the 50-140mm. I`ve got some serious thinking to do now then.

5. Tillman_b

Tillman_b Active Member

-Return to Top-

I'd go with the 35mm, you've already got zoom lenses that cover the range you're looking at, but as far as I can tell you don't have a fast prime. Having one focal length eliminates the tyranny of choice and is actually a lot of fun. Give your Mum a big hug and thank her for her generosity regardless though.

DaveX likes this.
  6. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you.

7. Tim Sewell

Tim Sewell Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

The 35mm f2 barely leaves one of my XT-2s (whichever one I'm mainly using - I like to rotate them), but if my mum was offering to pony up for a 50-140 I'd take her a cup of tea to have in bed every morning for the next year (and she lives 150 miles away).

Topsy and DaveX like this.
  8. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You could say I was gobsmacked, giving me a choice of either the 50-140mm or 90mm f2, as I said I would not go for the 16-55mm.

9. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 35mm f/2 cost about $400 usd.

The 50-140mm f/2.8 cost about $1500 usd.

Your mother has promised to keep the money you gave her to hold for you and add enough money to buy you the 50-140mm by Christmas of this year.

How much money did you give your mother to hold?

Assuming you gave her $400 usd or less, I would take the deal!

10. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's a generous offer and I'm sure your Mum would appreciate you thinking about it - rather than simply snapping her hand off!

Simplistically you already have a very wide range of focal lengths with the two XC lenses. Actually for the money these cost they are remarkably good lenses (and light/easy to carry). So an important question would be "why would you need anything else?". Now I don't say that because I don't think there's any point in having something else. Just that it is the question upon which you should focus. In effect - what is it that you most want to be able to do that you can't do currently?

For example - comparatively good though the 50-230 is - it cannot match the 50-140 for quality and fast aperture. But the 50-140 is much heavier (and a smaller range unless you add the 1.4x Teleconverter at some stage). I personally would choose my 50-140 any time I thought it was likely to be needed. My 50-230 would only go in the bag "just in case" if I didn't expect to need a Telephoto. But that's me - not you. So you need to think about how best to spend that generous offer in a way that will give maximum benefit to your Photography? Then go out and get some fantastic shots, frame them up, and present them to your Mum!

J J, Charzes44 and DaveX like this.
  11. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi I gave my mum £430 as the lens will come from either Jessops or Wex. I have just been looking and the 90mm f2 is lighter, I don`t won`t to make a mistake and get a lens that is too heavy so I might go to Jessops and see if they have both lenses in as it might help me decide.

12. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Definitely a good plan - the 50-140 is heavy. Good - but heavy.

DaveX likes this.
  13. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I do like the thought of having a 137 fixed focal length if I am right about the 90mm and it would be a lot lighter.

14. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

But not quite as light as the XC Tele-zoom (540 vs 375). How often do you use (or COULD you have used) the 90mm focal length on your existing lens?

15. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The only time I used full 230 zoom was at our local airshow. I only really zoom if I have too.

16. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

They are two very different beasts.
    I personally love the little 35 f/2 for it's form factor. I leave it on the X-T20 as my general take-everywhere combo and it delivers great images.

The 50-140 is versatile, very sharp, gives you way more reach but it's heavy and clunky.

Depends what you need and what you're after.

You have a great mum, by the way :)

DaveX likes this.
  17. jptsr1

jptsr1 Active Member

-Return to Top-

If it were me I'd go with the 35. I have lots of glass between 50 and 200 for other systems though. Adding Fuji to my kit was about size and weight. I hear great things about the 50-140 but I also hear its big and heavy. Good luck with the decision. Seems like a win for you either way.

DaveX likes this.
  18. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you both, in between doing a edit I have phoned mum and said, Thank you very much for the fantastic offer but as I want to look to the long term ( Me getting older hah and weight ) I will stick to my first choice and go with the 35mm. Part of me does not want mum spending her well earned cash on me at that price.

Tillman_b, Topsy and jptsr1 like this.
  19. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That 35 is a pocket rocket and I really think you'll enjoy it!
    It's so small and inconspicuous that it travels well in a small bag and is unobtrusive and not all 'in your face'

I shot this last week night during a dress rehearsal, 35mm wide open at f/2 1600 iso under artificial light

FUJZ3859-IreneMcC.jpg

trainer, DaveX and jptsr1 like this.
  20. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That is a lovely shot Irene, and thank you all again for the help. Deep down there was know way I`d let mum spend that much on me and she is happy if I am. Roll on when I get the 35mm, as I think I will have to change my zooming to my feet :)

Irene McC likes this.