This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Thinking of returning EF-X20 flash; is there another way to bounce?

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by Tselem, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Zazoh

Zazoh Member

-Return to Top-

My solution, at least for the time being. You know how we photographers are NEVER satisfied with our gear.

I sold all my Canon DSLR stuff, but they didn't want my 430EX, which has a great refresh rate and long battery life. So, while I was going back and forth on the best off camera solution, I picked up, from Amazon, Cowboy Studio remote triggers. It works two ways, as stand alone off camera flash that I can place anywhere, or in commander mode triggered by the hot shoe but also firing on camera flash. Okay, I can even put on camera, but look at the size compared to the camera, kind of ridiculous looking on the camera.

CowboyStudio.JPG

2. rpavich

rpavich Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've been down this road more than once...and did it all...foil covered shields...tape, gaff shields....turning the flash down as low it would go...using the onboard as a commander, Canon extension cable, holding it in my hand with a trigger on camera...none of it satisfied me so that I got good "side lighting" without bleed into faces and that horrid "center pupil catchlight"

I ended up buying an EF-42....it's not the greatest flash in the world...but it swivels and that's what's needed.

I also have Buff Cybersync triggers for off camera flash and a few Yongnuo manual flashes so I'm covered for bounce-TTL, and manual off camera flash.
    In my opinion...none of these kludges work as well as just spending $150.00 on the EF-42 (with the added benefit of TTL).

3. Darkaeden

Darkaeden New Member

-Return to Top-

Has there anyone found a reliable solution to bounce with the ef-x20 attached to the camera hot shoe?
    I really would like to tilt the flash...
    Thanks

4. Gilzuma

Gilzuma New Member

-Return to Top-

I found this: it won’t be ttl though...Please login to view links