This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Aperture Bug - Has it been fixed by now?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by streetlover, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:17 AM.

1. streetlover

streetlover New Member

-Return to Top-

I LOVE my X-T10. And even more, the 4 amazing fuji primes I have got by now.

Just one thing drives me nuts: the aperture opening wide-open after every first shot.
    It's true: as long as you take a single shot, there are ways around this problem. You can have the first always spot-on. No delay at all.

It's when you need to take a sequence of shots, firing rapidly, that this bug becomes a huge issue.
    It doesn't matter if you hold the shutter half-pressed, or if you have focus locked AND AE locked. It will ALWAYS open the aperture after the shot, causing a HUGE delay on consecutive shots.
    It is a bug, since it has no reason for opening if focus and metering are locked. If I tell the camera not to reassess anything, it has NO reason for opening between shots. Even 300$ DSLR does this.

I now want the X-T20 or X-T2 mainly for this reason. The question is: has the issue been fixed by now?

Can someone please confirm if the aperture remains closed between shots when you locked in focus and exposure?

2. AlphaCygni

AlphaCygni Active Member

-Return to Top-

I have bad news for you - it's the same behavior with every Fuji X body (and I already tried X-E2, X-T1 and now X-T2). The only solution I found to go around it is to set the shutter manually using the dedicated dial (yes, the shutter) - you can also set it to "T" and use the command dial to configure the shutter speed, whichever you find more convenient. then you'll find out that the aperture doesn't go all the way to its largest state right after each shot.

3. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Out of curiosity, I just checked with the X-T1 and 18-135mm but that doesn't work either, when I release the shutterbutton the diaphragm jumps to wide open even with everything fully manual, like the OP mentioned. That didn't really bother me because of my style of shooting, but I understand this can be quite an issue for others..

4. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My XP2 doesn't do that, if I keep the shutter half pressed between shots. It lets me basically shoot as fast as I can release. Once I let the shutter go all the way back after a shot, the camera will open the diafragm and then set it according to its needs to provide the best possible EVF/LCD/ERF IQ and refresh rate. That's exactly the behavior one would expect

5. rod.kendall

rod.kendall Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Many Fujifilm cameras have this bug. This is because the camera re-focuses after the first shot even if you hold down the shutter button. In order to re-focus accurately, the lens has to open.

I am not sure if the newer (X-T2, X-P2) cameras still exhibit this behavior. I simply use BBF (or front or any button focus) and the camera does not do this any more. AF lock works too. Anyway, it is a good technique to separate the focus action from the metering and shutter release. Try it.

6. streetlover

streetlover New Member

-Return to Top-

My experience also.
    Setting a manual shutter speed (and high performance mode also helps a tiny bit), it is possible (on my X-T10) to get 2-3 shots in a row without so much delay (still slow). Anything beyond that, it will open up wide between shots. But I have to time my finger well to fire the shutter exactly at a certain pace roughly same as CL mode speed.

That is some very sad news indeed. I so hope they would fix this.
    The issue has inspired possibly hilarious efforts to delicately time that first shot, anticipating motion while performing an elegant yet invisible dance around the subject, waiting for the decisive moment to manifest itself like CB himself. But I'm no CB. Sometimes you just want to get the damn sequence and hope to find your decisive moment in the pile. Then it's a huge issue.

@AlphaCygni have you tried, on your X-T2, to disable shutter half press and uncouple it completely from focus action? Does it still do it then?
    And also, on the newer models, do they also still take 2-3 pictures minimum in CL/CH mode? If you could do a single shot in CL or CH mode (impossible on mine) it would also be somewhat of a workaround.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 12:45 AM
  7. streetlover

streetlover New Member

-Return to Top-

Which camera do you use? I tried all of that and on x-t10 there seems no way. Also settings are limited for this action unlike x-t1 or newer.

8. rod.kendall

-Return to Top-

X-T1: I focus with the AF lock button. In order to make it easier to find and press, I built it up using adhesive hardened by UV light.
    X-T2: I assigned AF-ON to the front button and use middle finger to focus. Works surprisingly well.

I rarely use use X-T1 these days. I also wish Fuji finally recognized the convenience of BBF and gave us an easily reachable back button for this...

9. rod.kendall

-Return to Top-

Please note that in order to prevent re-focusing:

TX-1 has to be in manual focus mode (front lever in M position)
    XT-2 must have shutter button focusing disabled (or in be in manual mode as X-T1)

Yes, it is a workaround. But it works.

10. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's clearly not correct, for any vintage Fuji x. The only way to avoid this behavior is to keep the shutter half pressed. Even so, the 16MP cameras are slow to get the second shot off. The 24MP cameras, at least the higher end ones, don't have this problem.

11. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That is exactly how you want to do it, regardless of how fast the camera is.

Both my XT1 and XP2 fire single shots from CL. The XT1 might be able to do it in CH, the XP2 definitely fires at least 3 in CH. Since the XT1 takes single shots in CL, your XT10 should do it too.

12. rod.kendall

-Return to Top-

I do not have any vintage Fujis. But I was under the impression that AF-lock works with any old Fuji. Set the front focusing lever to M and use the AF-L to focus. AF-L can be put into either Push or Switch mode, whichever you prefer. This would be a workaround to avoid re-focusing on every shot.

Are you saying that this would not work with older cameras?

13. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@rod.kendall I meant to write "with Fuji's of any vintage"

It doesn't work with any Fuji X camera. As I wrote earlier, only keeping the shutter half pressed between shots works. Even then, other problems, such as slow writing speed, slow processing and/or inability of all except the latest processors to perform parallel tasks, slow older models down. The only way to circumvent this problem with X-Trans I + II cameras is by using C-L mode. X-Trans III cameras will fire as fast as you can press the shutter, If you keep it half pressed in between. Shooting manual or locking exposure/AF has nothing to do with this problem and thus has no influence.

Of course you could use manual lenses, which generally improves performance, or possibly shoot the XP2 with the ERF deactivated, but I didn't try that.