This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Small wide angle package

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by Danny B, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello again :)
    Most of the time I am on a business trio with a lot of lugage, work related.
    I dont want to be lugging around a huge camera with x lenses.

Hereby I am asking for help.
    With all the possibilities to mount legacy lenses, Im looking for this:

- wide angle lens in the 21-28mm range which will be the smallest package combined with the adapter (possible use of a speedbooster in futute) with the XT10, X-T20.....

- reasonable Image quality in corners (does not have to be crazy sharp)

I will get the OM to X adapter at the end of the week.With the canon lens its not bigger then the kit lens (heavier yes). Will see how the 28mm Oly behaves and what pictures it gives.
    I shoot 90% B&W and many times square format too.

Was looking at LTM lenses but 35mm is a little long for me...35mm equivalent would be better but I read they dont work on X bodies well (microlens arrangement and sensir cover etc..) know on this forum.

So I am asking for your help to post pictures of the smallest package LENS+ADAPTER in the 21-35mm Equivalent focal range.

Thank you all in advance

DANNY

2. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a ZM 21/4.5 in use. The lens length is only 30mm [plus the adapter thickness of 10mm]...all measured from flange.

The ZM lenses new or used are widely available...on eBay and in stores.

The lens is a Zeiss Biogon...long proven to be sharp and distortion free, especially when you are only using the APS-C centre rather than FF.

3. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also use a LM 28/2.8 asph or a LTM Avenon 28/3.5...

The LM is also only 30mm from flange, but looks only 23mm [because of the small filter size of 39mm].

The Avenon is pancake lens at 17mm thick...the smallest lens in LTM or M-mount.

You might also consider the FX 27/2.8 pancake lens...total thickness of only 24mm from flange.

4. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you Frankie
    I know about the ZM an Voigtlander lensea but also read a lot that it creates a problem of smearing in corners.

How is your experience with them? I have to consider that some older SLR mount lenses are cheaper then the ZM or CV (800$) lenses.

5. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

I know about the native 27mm...hate it.I am after manual focus. To master it, to play with it, to enjoy photography as it should be.

With AF and all the bells and whistles I find my self cklicking away as mad....
    I will look up the Avenon lens.
    Thanks again.

How are they picture quality wise? Can you share some thought?

6. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There is no "smearing"...whatever that means; also no colour fringing and any other problem popularly denounced by Leica'philes on the 'net.

Remember, you are only using the centre 2/3 of the image circle...edge problems disappear.

The Avenon 21mm and 28mm lenses were cult classics...before Leica even got of their seat.

beakhammer likes this.
  7. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

Hahah Leica'philes...love that. I know, if its not 4 digit lens its not good etc.

I will look up the LTM options.

8. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

Can you post a pic of the X with the lenses pls? Would appreciate it.Just to get a sense of size.

9. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A 28mm FL is format diagonal for APS-C...thus "standard".

I have no confidence in Auto-focus...ever since it was dubbed "out'a focus" in the early '80's Nikkor attempts.

My LM 28/2.8 is welded on my X-E1...a 1C1L package and small enough. I also carry a helical LM/FX adapter for use as an adjustable extension tube for the occasion close-up's [rare].

Tim Foster and Goldingd like this.
  10. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

1) Specifically why are you looking for legacy glass?

A) Cost savings?
    B) Retro look?
    C) Absolutly manual only, no bells and whistles
    D) Other, specify?

2) Please describe definition of "huge camera with X lens". Is it a FujiFilm X camera you find huge, A FujiFilm X lens?

Tim Foster likes this.
  11. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

Looking for pure manual focus lenses.
    I am not after retro look.dont care about looks on camera. All fuji lenses except 18 and 27mm are big or long and manual focus on them sucks.

I meant to say that dont want to drag a big camera (Nikon Df or D300) with unspecified (X) lens.

Fuji X is small but the balance is thrown of with good lens size and crap manual focusing.

12. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Happens to have my Pen-F handy...

XE1-LM 28.jpg

13. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Somehow people have an impression that a quality lens is just too too big. Now I have a top notch Sigma 24 mm Art, a lens meant for full frame (Canon mount in my case), and a FujiFilm 23mm, that Fuji is a featherweight in comparison to the Sigma weight and dimension wise. And the Fuji is quality. (Hmm, edit, I see I misread your response per Fuji weight, ok, moving on)

I rarely autofocus, I do not like it, old old school. (Thumbs up to Frankie, out a focus) I have for my X-T2 the 14mm, 23 (1.4) and 35 (1.4) for my wide side. Not a single issue manual focusing. If you were talking about a long tele, then the focus by wire in a few lenses is an issue, wide end, not so much.

By the "looks" I did not mean how pretty the lens looks on the camera, I meant how the image looks, out of focus details, sharpness, or often lack of sharpness, the artistic looks. Some people love legacy glass for the look of the image, often for issues old glass had, actually looking for what today many would consider failures.

Now, not fair of me to not provide a idea for legacy glass. For size and still have quality, and for fit/feel (ergonomics) on a FujiFilm X body. I think you are looking for some Leica M glass. Such glass would not be as heavy as newer glass meant for DSLR's, would have had high end design put into it, and should be mechanically sound.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  14. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Golding for suggestion...will never afford a quality Leica. Too expensive.

I too have the sigma 24mm...although briliant in every way, i was draging it with me on a trip to Crete (greece).
    And I can tell you...after half a day I had enough of it.

Looks - I tried the Canon Fd 50mm 1.4 and like it a lot. At 1.4 it has some haze and overall sharpness is lower, but at f2.8 its great.
    So something in that quality is enough.
    I am no pixel peeper nor do I print 10x20 foot.
    I did a print from a 10mp D200 at 50x70cm....and was sharp enough.

Frankie....that is small enough.Like it a lot

15. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When I am mountaineering I like to shoot both film and digital. Here is one of my favorite kits for mountaineering:
    The X-E2 with 18mm/2,
    a Voigtlander Bessa R film camera with the LSM Voigtlander 35mm/2.5,
    a Jupiter 8 (50mm/2) and the little FX-LSM adapter.
    These make a very light package and give me four different fields of view to work with. In FF "equivalents" I get 28mm, 50mm and 75mm on the Fuji, 35mm and 50mm on the little rangefinder, The small camera bodies and lenses are easier to handle when mountain climbing as well. While the Fuji 35mm/1.4 is better, I have taken excellent photos with the little Voigtlander 35/2.5, as well as the Jupiter 8, on my X-E2.

The Fuji 18mm/2 doesn't have as nice manual focus as a legacy lens, but it hardly matters on such a wide angle lens. Except for extreme close-ups everything is nearly always in focus anyhow.

The little Voigtlander 21mm would complete this setup really well, adding a 31mm "equivalent" on the Fuji and 21mm on the film camera.

On mountaineering trips where image quality is more important I will carry a superb 1950s Voigtlander medium format folding camera (as small as my X-E2). This camera is limited to a standard 80mm at 6x6 format, so I like to have the Fuji digital with a couple of wider Fuji lenses as well. Really top quality wide angle legacy lenses are generally either big and heavy, or very expensive, or both. Shooting medium format film in the backcountry really demands using a mini-tripod or ball-head-and-clamp along with a cable release. The Fuji GFX 50S with it's wide angle zoom and high ISO performance would be the bees knees for this kind of work. I also have a fairly lightweight device that allows me to stitch together multiple frames shot through medium format SLR lenses. Here again, the best lenses are big and heavy. I have used medium format film rangefinders in the backcountry as well. These can produce superb images and are not bad to carry, easy to shoot hand-held, but are in the neighborhood of DSLR-sizes.

In general I have the best luck using my Fuji cameras with X-mount wide-angle lenses, and using adapted lenses for longer focal lengths.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    YogiMik likes this.
  16. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had tried the CV 21/4, also M-Rokkor 28/2.8, and Contax 28/2.8...and sold them all. Finally settled in an LM 28/2.8 asph. Lucked out with a LNIB on eBay at a good price.

YogiMik and beakhammer like this.
  17. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

Beakhammer:
    Thank you for the detailed description.realy appreciate it.
    Frankie:
    Yeah, Leica...need to sell a kidney to get one.

Lets see how the Oly 28mm turns out.There is a speed booster fot it although at a hefty price. I consider that option to the Voigtlander and others.

18. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For the smallest package, nothing is better than a LTM/M adapter/lens.

All SLR lens adapter are ~30mm thick...plus the lens, Olympus Zuiko were smaller but the adapter is not.

Some older Canon LTM lenses are said to be good...but few wider than 28mm FL. The smallest LTM was CV 35/2.5...I have one.

I had also looked into the olde Olympus Pen lenses [half-frame is APS-C] but now priced as collector's items.

In all, the CV 21/4 is not bad...and could be found at ~$400.

mokeiyong likes this.
  19. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

The OM 28 is a nice lens and is a relatively small package. I like the 28/3.5 more than the 28/2.8 and used it extensively with my X-P1. Not only is it significantly cheaper it's also better IMHO. I really liked shooting BW with it. You could also look at the OM 24/2.8, it's a very well respected lens and an OM 24/2.8, 50/1.8 and 100/2.8 together are barely taller than a pop can. Personally I prefer the 28/3.5 to the 24 but YMMV.

The Fuji 18/2 is a terrific lens and works great for travel.

20. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I forgot, I also had a CV 25/4 before...like it better than the 21/4.