This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Samyang 12 mm UV filter and lens hood safe to fit?

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by thelonious58, Oct 8, 2018.

1. thelonious58

thelonious58 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi again
    When I got my Samyang 12 mm 2.0 last week I immediately ordered a 67mm Marumi Uv filter to protect the lens, something that has become a reflex action with any new camera or lens for me. My question is about whether it is a good idea or more importantly a safe thing to screw in the filter and then put the lens hood on. I don't want to risk any jamming of the filter to the lens or any other possible damage. I am even wary of putting the lens cap back on when the lens hood is on in case the cap slips at an angle and scratches the lens. I know that there are divergent views on UV filters vs lens hoods, but I am primarily wanting to know whether the combination is safe or not. If the advice I receive here suggests that it's not safe, I will return the filter to Amazon. Many thanks in advance

2. MickM

MickM Member

-Return to Top-

Hi, I have the 12mm Samyang with a Kenko UV filter permanently fitted and have no problems fitting /removing either the lens hood or lens cap.

thelonious58 likes this.
  3. thelonious58

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your quick reply. This reassures me. If this combination works the lens hood would protect the bulbous tip of the lens and the UV filter would protect from any dust, dirt or splashes of rain etc, so fingers crossed!

4. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If there is a filter on the lens, the whole lens is protected.

The hood provides an extra layer of protection.

When a camera falls, it usually hits the ground lens first. If there is a filter in the way, it takes the first hit. I have been lucky and haven't dropped one yet, but I have witnessed a few falls and the results of many others. A filter makes a big difference and is much easier to replace.

A hood often gives you an extra cushion and some protection for the filter.

thelonious58 likes this.
  5. thelonious58

-Return to Top-

That's my opinion too. My worry was possible damage to the lens if the filter thread was distorted by pressure from the lens hood when fitting or removing the hood

6. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't know how the hood attaches. If it bayonets around the filter, you should be fine. If it screws into the filter, only serious torsion is an issue and, depending on materials, is more likely to affect Hood than filter. Perhaps a third party collapsible rubber hood is better for you if you must use a screw-on hood.

You want a filter with clean threads and for the material to be one which will not mar the lenses own threads. Most filters will be fine. If you are really into it, brass seems to work best but probably isn't necessary.

I haven't seen reports of problems with this lens and filter or hood, and the problems generally float to the top....

thelonious58 likes this.
  7. thelonious58

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your advice. The hood is Samyang's own, it clicks into place

8. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sounds like you are good to go on the hood.

Look at the filter and lens threads before applying. Clean off any dirt first. Screw slowly so you will feel any issues. Once it has gone on smoothly, you should be good.

the main issue is people using too much force instead of noticing something isn't right :).

thelonious58 likes this.
  9. mfk

mfk Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

The 12mm Samyang front lens has nano treatment as many Fujinon Lenses and cleaning is simple. I used my 12mm in heavy rain and spray of waterfalls without problems. The weak point of this lens is not the front lens, but the bayonet fixation which has no sealing ring. Water or light (if a dark gray filter is used in daylight) may enter there. Fortunately my lens sits not to loose on the camera. I'm using always a plastic front cover when the lens is in the bag.

thelonious58 likes this.
  10. thelonious58

-Return to Top-

Thanks. ImI not sure what you mean by the bayonet fixation, do you mean the way that the lens hood attaches, or do you mean where the lens attaches to the camera body?

11. thelonious58

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your reassuring and helpful practical advice

F2Bthere likes this.
  12. mfk

mfk Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes the fixation of the lens on the camera body may be quite loose due to fabrication tolerance on some samples.

13. wim bakker

wim bakker New Member

-Return to Top-

Are you sure that you heard a click when fitting the hood?
    When I first got my lens, the hood was a very loose fit. I then learned to twist it further to get the click and a very good fit. To get the click needs a bit of force on my lens.