This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

"required" accessories for your x small sensors???

Discussion in 'Fuji's Small Sensor X Cameras' started by kojack, May 2, 2017.

1. kojack

kojack Member

-Return to Top-

I was thinking half case of beer ha ha!

Shadowside likes this.
  2. NYRich

NYRich Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A few folks have already mentioned straps, but nobody mentioned the Domke "gripper". I've been using these for years and have them on my X-E1 and X-E2. Originally, I used them on my Leica M's which are not all that different weight-wise from the Fuji X bodies. When I bought my X-30, B&H had a deal where you could get the Fuji leather case and strap for something like $12. I've never used the case (I hate those things) but the leather strap is very nice and well worth what I paid for it.

I used the wide neoprene straps on my Nikon bodies as they weighed a lot more than the Fuji X bodies, especially with a heavy Nikkor attached. They really did make these setups feel a little lighter on the neck and shoulders but I don't see the advantage with X bodies unless maybe one uses the heavier lenses hand-held.

Depending on what you shoot, a selection of ND filters (get them for your largest lens with the appropriate adaptor rings) can be very useful. I like to use them for landscapes to soften clouds/water. I did try one of the variable types (not a cheap one) but found it less than consistent. Thinking of a Singh-Ray variable, but the prices are way out there.

There was a suggestion about an Arca-Swiss type plate and I couldn't agree more. I prefer the "L" type from RRS (super stuff from that company) together with one of their tripod clamps. Not sure if Kirk makes "L" plates for Fuji bodies, but their stuff is really good too and a bit less expensive than RRS. I use a Kirk ballhead and couldn't be happier with it.

3. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think we are slowly moving from straps and filters to softboxes and backdrop stands. ;)

4. kojack

kojack Member

-Return to Top-

Nah...I would just use them for bouncing and adding light in our outdoor camping/adventure photos! no backdrop stuff!

5. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

At first I thought "I don't have any accessories", then as time goes on I start to remember.

1) This forum and the time to read and study it is the most important IMO.

2) Strap: I like the ThinkTankPhoto serpentine strap. It's a very basic strap, very flexible and with a very functional silicon serpentine beading that helps it stay in place. The "stickiness" of the strap allows it to be worn in a multitude of configurations and with good purchase. It also "wads" up nicely so you can get it out of the way when needed.

3) Soft Release: I've always used a soft release button on my cameras. It helps promote a slow shutter press with the "pad/first knuckle" of the index finger and allows for a very steady and shutter uninterrupted press.

4) Lens Cap: I use Nikon center pinch caps on my lenses because they stay put: Whenever I order a Fuji lens, I order the appropriate Nikon lens cap

5) Grip: I like the standard Fuji grip on my X-Pro2. It offers a more positive grip for me and the arca-swiss groove on the base-plate means I'm always tripod-ready for the kind of photography I often do. When I remove the grip, I'm pleasantly reminded of just how trim the basic camera is and why I like that versatility so much.

6) NOT Lens Adapter: On my initial order of the XP2, I added a lens adapter for my Nikon lenses. When I experienced the quality of the Fuji lenses, my Nikkors stayed with the Nikon. I don't know what I was thinking, sorry Fuji. I should have had more trust in the accolades of this group. I'll no longer think I know better ;). IMO it a rare lens that can beat the Fuji AF lenses and those that have the AF/MF clutch ring are ingenious, practical and superbly engineered. They make critical photography much more achievable when mated with the Fuji body.

7) I have a Domke F6 bag that stores my kit and I use a Domke F5xb for my daily carry bag (or a no longer available Tumi half messenger bag). The Tumi was a carryover from my international business trip days and it's the "ultimate" man bag. So if you are a bag connoisseur, the Fuji takes to off-use bags very well. Each of my lenses have their own Neoprene lens pouch. That way I can mix and match my kit (supplied from the F6 bag) in an instant, filling a small carry bag for the day's work. That carry bag may be those already mentioned, a shopping bag or beach bag or just whatever. I also find a REI Flash day bag a very unassuming carry bag for when I need things off my shoulder. The latter is totally unpadded, not very convenient to access quickly but very compact in other luggage and with good straps. It allows for versatile carry of small items when it's more about carry than anything else. My F5xb fits in easily.

8) Luxury Item: Domke J803 bag. This bag is a tad bit large for he Fuji. It is however (and of course IMO) a world's best travel camera bag. It holds the equipment in a single width "linear column" and hangs close to the body. With my bag, I carry body, lens attached, aux lens or two (don't forget the neoprene bags), a large water bottle, maps, zipper security pockets, etc. The strap is a quick disconnect and can be used to wrap around a chair back or radiator :), or something else to secure it while you are having a long engaging lunch with a partner at a sidewalk cafe, etc (and might be otherwise distracted). Just one of those items, that is specialized enough to be just the right tool for when you need it. 12 years ago when my first grandchild was born, that bag made a cross continent trip containing a Nikon F6, 35 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 and 24mm f/2.8. Along with all accessories. It's an expandable bag and takes much overloading with ease.

Have fun and it was great helping you think about how to spend your money.

Best Regards,
    Roger

rixpix likes this.
  6. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree that this forum is the most important.

However, in my case, rather than an accessory, this forum was my most important precursor to the purchase of my first Fuji X camera.

7. kojack

kojack Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah, I was on another forum fujimugs when I bought my s9100/9600. After I bought my x-s1 and x10, I found this place. Some great information here.

On a related side note. I just measured my camera bag and it falls into the "personal item" of the airlines requirements. I can take my camera kit, and computing kit on board with me at the same time. I am very happy about that. I have an MEC outpost messenger bag with 2 notebooks, 2 ipads, and all cables for them, and my small lowepro camera bag fits all my imaging gear!

I am looking at a new pro sport backpack from lowepro. I love their cases. Its a little bigger but has many back country benefits I want, waterproof, carry my hydration pack from my hiking pack, and can take extra clothing.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  8. astrnmrtom

astrnmrtom New Member

-Return to Top-

I was ready to list all the goodies I bought for my X-S1 then I realized none of those accessories are unique to a small sensor camera. They are general photography accessories I'd probably buy for any camera. The only thing I have unique for the X-S1, is a silicone wristband that sits on the lens zoom ring to be used to prevent lens creep if needed. Even that isn't really a generalized small sensor camera accessory, just a X-S1 unique accessory. I guess one item that sorta overlaps into the small sensor category is a larger flash to get better low light shots which the small sensor can struggle with.

Tom