This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Remote Shutter Release for the X-Pro2

Discussion in 'Fuji X Accessories' started by Ed Vatza, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza Active Member

-Return to Top-

Okay, I am puzzled. I have an X-Pro2 with the RRS L-bracket. I just bought the Fuji remote and I have a Canon remote from a previous life. Both will fire the X-Pro2. That's not the issue. The issue is neither will work with the camera/bracket mounted on the tripod in the vertical/portrait position. Definitely not the Fuji remote. And while I can squeeze the mount into the bracket with the Canon, it is only with the risk of damaging the door to do so.

I know I can't be the only person with this issue. Any solution other than turning to the Fuji Remote app for my iPhone when I want to shoot in portrait which, thankfully, isn't often.

2. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

Not sure how you will solve this problem, but I can tell you how to avoid it completely...

Go old school, get a mechanical cable release for the shutter button - these work in all positions and are inherently WR too :)

pandoraefretum and Marty M like this.
  3. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Right angle adapter for the mic/remote socket or a bit of customising Dremel action.

fugu 82-2 likes this.
  4. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Cable relief spacer

Please login or register to view links

5. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza Active Member

-Return to Top-

Good point. I have a mechanical release that I used to use with my Leica. I forgot about it and having a soft button mounted in the shutter release button didn't serve to jog my memory! :)

Shadowside likes this.
  6. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza Active Member

-Return to Top-

Nothing RRS make it cheap! I'll have to think about this.

Shadowside likes this.
  7. Shadowside

-Return to Top-

That's crazy, they sell a bracket that is made specifically for tripod mounting and you can't access the cable door when using it... and we all know how rare it is to use a cable release when we use a tripod!

For the amount that RRS charges for the L Bracket it should include the bit you need in order to use it with the cable release. Don't get me wrong, I love their products the quality is amazing and the customer service is top drawer stuff too. But overall product value is at times compromised by the high cost.

8. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was not going to pay RRS the $180 (?) for the L bracket and then an additional $66 to fix their inadequate design.

I purchased a Meng brand L bracket off of ebay for $20.00+, and use a mechanical release as was previously suggested. The bracket is great, not so much so a mechanical release. I got very spoiled using a Canon electronic release on my XPro-2, but can't use it in portrait orientation on a tripod with the L bracket.

This is a design fault, but I don't if by Fuji or the bracket makers. Frustrating.

EB

Shadowside likes this.
  9. Shadowside

-Return to Top-

Well, after snooping around a bit, here's a thought. If you are using the Canon or Canon compatible electronic release with the 1/8" micro 3 conductor plug (I use one of these) then this might be your huckleberry:...

Sorry, I guess admin doesn't approve of links to Amazon... Just do a Google search for 'Right Angle 3 Contact male to female 1/8" extension". There are several very cheap extension cables where the male end is right angle and might work without the need of the extra bracket.

fugu 82-2 likes this.
  10. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Shadowside, many thanks

EB

Shadowside likes this.
  11. fzdp

fzdp Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am using x-t20 but I have the same issue ... There is a problem with the Mengs plate and some other brands - the vertical rail is to slim. So even if you use some extension, the opened door go trough the l bracket and it can be damaged by the tripod. This drives me crazy... I ended up using two l brackets when I know I want to use a tripod. One is with the grip (I am to lazy to take it off), second one is to give enough space for vertical position. And the second one, universal one, is filed to give access to the battery compartment... Ugh...

At the same time, the shutter button feels so flimsy, that I do not want to break it with the mechanical release cord, and Canons release feels much better... I would like to know if there is a proper l plate for those cameras, with a grip, and its price is not ~100$...