This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Post Your Latest Adapted-Lens-on-Fuji Shots Here

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by beakhammer, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Iwan van der Linden

Iwan van der Linden Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links

Meyer optik orestegor 135mm F/2.8 (zebra version) on X-T1

2. AndresC

AndresC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Have you found an aperture sweet spot that will give you good sharpness and bokeh? For the 57 that is.

Tara Elizabeth likes this.
  3. Tara Elizabeth

Tara Elizabeth Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, f/2 is the sweet spot to my eye with the 57. It sharpens up nicely there and still has pleasing bokeh.

AndresC likes this.
  4. AndresC

AndresC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Will try it out, thanks!

5. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Deleted by me. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  6. Untxizuria

Untxizuria Member

-Return to Top-

After I had to google some of your lenses, here's another obscure one:

LRM_EXPORT_20180311_195418.jpg

E. Ludwig Meritar 45mm /2.9 on X-T1

rokphish likes this.
  7. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

stuck in the house forever it seems, so I'm shooting out the windows now .....
    this was earlier today.
    jupiter-8 on the XE1.
    [​IMG]

rokphish likes this.
  8. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well, you got me Googling your lens, as well.
    Is that EXA / EXAKTA mount ??

9. Untxizuria

Untxizuria Member

-Return to Top-

It's the lens of an old compact camera, Please login or register to view links, converted to M39. I had found an Please login or register to view links who does lens conversions.

My very first camera as a kid was a Beirette, so my photography gear has come full circle :)

melanieylang likes this.
  10. vague_logic

vague_logic Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The first camera I bought with my own (pocket) money was a Beirette. Good for the cost though, annoying to change film as the back was not hinged and a fiddle to get back on correctly. I've still got it in a cupboard. I don't think I'll use it for a lens conversion though.

11. melanieylang

melanieylang Member

-Return to Top-

I come from using micro four thirds systems for a few years, but having always yearned for Fujifilm gear I briefly I bought and tried a used XE1 but didn't prefer it to my Panasonic GX7, so sold it.

This month, as the result of lots of research, I made a couple of decisions in quick succession: to buy a Canon FD to m43 mount focal reducer to try to get results I would be happier with (than with a standard adapter), and to buy a used XE2 body plus another Canon FD focal reducer in X mount to compare. Crazy! I bought a Roxsen m43 focal reducer first, and tested it on my GX7 - I was happy with the results, so ordered it with the X mount (free shipping made this make sense!)

The XE2 arrived and I set it up ready for the focal reducer to arrive. When it did, I attached my old 50mm f1.8 and banged away in a friend's garden on an overcast afternoon. Bearing in mind that I'm used to shooting with cameras that have a tilting touchscreen (and, indeed, a tilting EVF), my first issue was the lack of tilt - I thought it would do me good to shoot without one, but it's the pits!

Secondly, the ergonomics are different from what I'm used to, and the camera doesn't feel as secure in my hand, nor do I much like having to use my left hand for zooming in to check focus (when I usually double tap the screen, or use a scroll wheel). Also, the body feels a bit hollow when using a heavyish metal lens.

My main reasons for wanting to try Fuji again are (1) my thought that larger-than-m43 sensor + focal reducer gets me a close approximation to ff without the bulk and expense, (2) using a more old-school body with dials for EV compensation and shutter speed would be good for me to grow as a photographer, and (3) the film simulation modes. I chose the XE2 for its rangefinder form, EVF, and price.

Already, I feel the results I've had with the GX7 + focal reducer setup are more pleasing and easier to get. Samples (full colour) are here:
    Please login or register to view links

Below are samples from the XE2, shot with BY(R) film sim. All photos have been enhanced a little with Snapseed app. I'm looking for a bit of feedback - I found it harder to nail focus, even with the aids, and wonder if the body not being stabilised is an issue for me.

I'm not sure I want to adjust to a fixed screen, but definitely need an EVF for using legacy glass; that leaves me with only a couple of Fuji options in bodies. What I'm wondering is if an XT series body with tilting LCD might work better for me, specifically with adapted lenses - has anyone here had experience with one, particularly also with m43 for direct comparison? Again, I also note the lack of body stabilisation. And budget
    2018_0317_13420900-01.jpeg 2018_0317_13425700-01.jpeg 2018_0317_13441000-01.jpeg 2018_0317_13443800-01.jpeg

Many thanks,

Melanie

talponne, Untxizuria and Kirstybell like this.
  12. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Melanie,

I posted a response to your query on the m43 forum and I responded there (that's easily the best m43 forum there is, I still check in there from time to time having previously owned an Olympus E-P5 - still got the lenses). As I stated there, using a non-focal reducing adapter could work on old lenses too, on the basis that the APSC sensor would be reading most of and the best part of any adapted lens. That and the analogue controls is why for adapted lenses at least, I prefer Fuji to m43. For adapted lenses, I think that a used X-T1 would be the most useful due to it's tilting screen and great EVF/ focus peaking. You could even do split image focusing. Plus the camera's weight feels completely natural with legacy lenses.

melanieylang likes this.
  13. Iwan van der Linden

Iwan van der Linden Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Agreed, a used X-T1 isnt that much $$$ anymore ;)
    I shoot with adapted lenses all the time (M42) and the X-T1 is great for that !

rayvonn likes this.
  14. napalm

napalm Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

DSF1020.jpg Fuji X-H1 + Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
    @F1.4 Night / Available light
    Fujifilm M mount Adapter
    IBIS ON

15. melanieylang

melanieylang Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your reply and recommendation. I decided to get a focal reducer - at least to begin with - for the extra stop of light, and also to assist with crop factor calculations (i.e. nearly the same as full frame on APSC). The XE2 has split screen focus aid, which I was excited about, but so far am not liking it; maybe it's better with a larger EVF.

rayvonn likes this.
  16. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Precisely. You'd be better off with an X-T1 than say an X-E3 or X-Pro 2 in that respect.

melanieylang likes this.
  17. Fuzzdog

Fuzzdog Active Member

-Return to Top-

Vivitar 70-210mm S1 on an X-E1 today - not my best shot, but considering how quickly the snow leopard was moving, I'm quite happy with it!

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

18. Penduboy

Penduboy Active Member

-Return to Top-

Very nice shot Fuzzdog....I have a copy of Vivtar which I never used with digital. I used long time ago with Film SLR (Canon A1). Your post encouraged by take that lens out.

19. Fuzzdog

Fuzzdog Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks! It's pretty much my favourite manual zoom on mirrorless, mostly as it's an absolute delight to use, bit soft wide open but knock it down to 5.6 (pretty sure the above shot is 210mm and 5.6) and it sharpens up nicely. CA can be a bit of a handful at wider apertures in the out of focus areas of some shots, but it's a lot better than some older lenses I own. My only real niggle with it is that the aperture ring works backwards to everything else I own! :D

20. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nothing wrong with that shot at all.

Fuzzdog likes this.