This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Out of my comfort zone

Discussion in 'Sports' started by jamie allan, Aug 8, 2018.

1. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I normally take images of mostly static objects - architecture, landscapes and mainly stationary wildlife. Today I had an opportunity to try something different. The European Championships Time Trial Road Race passed through my neighbourhood so I thought I'd try shooting some sport. Well I think I'll need practice technique if I want to try that again. It wasn't helped that I chose a spot that was probably one of the fastest places on the course with a 12.5% descent - where the riders were travelling at 60kmph. Anyway here's some of my few usable images.
    X-T2 50-230 @162mm f9 1/1000 iso800
    tt 5.jpg
    X-T2 50-230 @50mm f9 1/1000 iso800
    tt 9.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    leoda1945, Beaumont, J J and 4 others like this.
  2. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

Some more
    X-T2 50-230 @53mm f9 1/1000 iso800
    tt 10.jpg
    X-T2 50-230 @80mm f9 1/1000 iso800
    tt 11.jpg
    X-T2 50-230 @80mm f9 1/1000 iso800
    tt 12.jpg

3. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

I like the look on the whippet's face - call that fast?
    X-T2 50-230 @162mm f9 1/500 iso800
    tt 4.jpg

4. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well caught and captured. §1 and §2 are my favourites, with the following thoughts.

In §1, you might consider lifting the brightness on the rider, as his facial expression is interesting.

For the others, I feel that the backgrounds sometimes detract, particularly where the spectators are not interested in the rider who has been captured. If they are not interested, why should we be, is the possible implication.

jamie allan likes this.
  5. yashica boy

yashica boy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice work Jamie like them all

jamie allan likes this.
  6. J J

J J Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What camera/lens/settings Jamie? If you’ll pardon the enquiry.. I couldn’t ascertain from EXIF.
    They’re all great by the way, you did a good job.

jamie allan likes this.
  7. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

J.J.
    Sorry I forgot to input the detail. I've edited the posts with the correct exif detail now.

J J likes this.
  8. SixstringSlinger

SixstringSlinger Active Member

-Return to Top-

Nice work! Sports is a tough one. Back in my film days I did a lot of motorsports photography. I found using slower shutter speeds say 1/200 to 1/250 and panning to blur the background gave a much greater sensation of speed in the photo. It also increases the blur of the wheel spin. The vehicle, whatever it is, looks like it is going fast.

I like to use manual focus for this by pre-focusing on the spot I will be tripping the shutter. I have my shutter speed and f stop selected, pan the object to my release point and bang. I just captured a race care at 200+ kph that looks like it's going 200+ kph! It takes practice but I think it's worth it.

jamie allan likes this.
  9. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

Anthony,
    Thanks for the reply. I take your point with the spectators but I couldn't get any part of the hill that didn't have spectators and I wanted to give some idea of the downhill gradient. The close in shots don't really convey how steep the hill is. When I was much younger I used to cycle to work on this route. I had a speedometer on my bike and even I could hit 55kmph on that hill. It was downhill on my way to work in the morning and uphill returning after a day at the office 15km away. Doing that uphill climb sure banished the issues encountered during the day's work.:)

AnthonyM likes this.
  10. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

One thing I did notice today with the X-T2 and it's new NP-W126S battery - I took over 300 images and the battery indicator is still showing 4 bars out of 5. I have boost mode on, was shooting CL, saving raw+jpeg fine and did a fair degree of checking images taken on the LCD ( I hate the term Chimping). I've read that the X-T2 battery indicator is more accurate and if it is the case that I've got between 60-80% battery power left I'm impressed.

11. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That matches my experience of CH shooting. I averaged around 1,000 shots per battery shooting a cricket match, even with a lot of image review. Shooting single shots with the same batteries gives me a lot less shots per battery, more like 300.

jamie allan likes this.
  12. Gillioen

Gillioen Member

-Return to Top-

I would use much lower shutter speed like 1/60
    if you do that and pan, the backgroud will be blurry and less distracting

jamie allan likes this.
  13. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Good to get out of our little boxes and try new things.
    I like these.
    If you enjoy the fast action, stay with it !!

jamie allan likes this.
  14. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I started shooting bike races earlier this year, after doing a lot of motorsports in previous years. It's not easy, takes a lot of practice! I'm getting better, slowly.

These conditions were very challenging, @jamie allan, but well done.

jamie allan likes this.
  15. DaveKennedy

DaveKennedy Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I'd concur with the other folks that replied about a slower shutter speed so you get a bit of a sense of movement from at least the wheels on the bikes. Also if you're shooting from a side angle like you were you can take advantage of that by panning with the bikes as they pass. If you're shooting with a wider lens like you were in this case, and can't isolate the subjects, panning can help separate (visually speaking) the bikes from the background.

jamie allan likes this.
  16. DaveKennedy

-Return to Top-

The second shot in this post is an example of what I mentioned with the panning effect helping to isolate the subject from background.
    Please login or register to view links

17. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

Thanks all for the comments. It's the first time I've tried moving subjects - other than the occasional bird in flight. I found it extremely difficult panning with many shots of a riders bum the only object in frame:mad:. I tried a slower shutter but as my panning was so bad I ended up with everything blurred. That's when I moved down to the bend at the bottom of the hill so I could get some close up, in focus shots. These events don't happen often here so I can't see me getting many opportunities to improve on panning. I think standing at the side of the road tracking cars might get me into a whole lot of bother. I can see it's a real art to getting it right with slow shutter and focussed object.

DaveKennedy likes this.
  18. DaveKennedy

-Return to Top-

You could practice with moving cars. Depending on the light sometimes you'd have to adjust up or down to see what shutter speed works best. Panning is something that's hard to master but you can do it with practice.

19. J J

J J Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You've also showcased/promoted that 50-230 nicely. Is that Ben waiting patiently in the background?