This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Non-Fuji Flash on X-Pro 1 and X-T20

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by Dave Jenkins, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins New Member

-Return to Top-

I've recently sold most of my Canon equipment and purchased an X-Pro 1 and X-T20 and a few lenses. I still have a Canon 580EXII flash and several Nikon SB28 units which I use both on-camera and in multiple flash setups. I also have several Yongnuo 622C transceivers.

I programmed both cameras with the flash settings I normally use for weddings -- ISO 800, 1/125th second, f8, manual exposure.

I tried both types of flash on each camera and ran into the following problems:

1. Both flashes and the transceivers work on the X-Pro 1, but nothing works on the X-T20.

2. On both cameras, when a flash is mounted with the above settings, the LCD/EVF are almost totally dark in normal room light. I can point the camera at a window or light source and see it, but otherwise, nothing.

Is there a setting that will enable me to use the EVF while shooting flash? Do these cameras require a Fuji-dedicated flash?

Unless I can solve these problems, I'm not going to be able to use the cameras for weddings and other work that requires flash on camera. So any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

2. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I do not normally do a lot of flash work, but I know that you should be able to solve these problems. I have an X-Pro1 and an X-E2. I am sure there is a menu setting that will make your X-T20 fire the flash, but since I don't have this camera I will leave it to someone else to solve that problem.

The dark viewfinder problem is easily solved: on the X-Pro1, turn "Preview Exposure in Manual Mode" OFF. This is way down on the bottom menu. With this feature turned ON the electronic viewfinder shows you what the camera would see without the help of flash. At the exposure settings you are using the screen is naturally quite dark. With it turned OFF the EVF stays brightly illuminated and ignores the exposure settings. I am sure there is a similar menu item in the X-T20 menus somewhere.

In other words, as "Preview Exposure" suggests, this setting allows you to see how the exposure settings will turn out in the finished image, but the camera can't anticipate how much light flash will add to the scene. The "Preview Exposure in Manual Modes" can only be switched on and off in manual mode, since in "auto" modes the camera is adjusting exposure and this automatically keeps the EVF bright. When you adjust exposure in Auto modes by turning the Exposure compensation dial you are essentially "previewing" exposure.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    lawsofphysics likes this.
  3. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The only advantage of Fuji branded flashes, and the few flashes that are made to work with Fuji-X cameras, is that they work with the TTL system. In my limited experience I find that I always end up setting flash manually anyway, so TTL doesn't do much for me.

4. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Have you set the flashes to be purely manual? In that mode I have never had a problem firing SB600 or SB700 flashes on my Fujis but I do not have a X-T20.

5. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If flash doesn't work (it should, in manual mode) cyou might have set "sound and flash off" (silent mode) on the x-t20.

lawsofphysics likes this.
  6. lawsofphysics

lawsofphysics Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I used manual flash on the X-T1 extensively. I also took thousands of photos with YONGNUO wireless triggers and off-camera flashes (manual operation of course).

With practice, TTL isn't that valuable to me. Admittedly I use raw files and alter global image brightness during post production.

I don't own a X-T20, but I'd be shocked if it requires a FUJIFILM flash for non-TTL work.

7. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the help, guys. The dark viewfinder problem was easily solved on both cameras by turning OFF "Preview Exposure in Manual Mode." I had no trouble getting the X-Pro 1 to fire my Canon and Nikon flashes, but the E-T20 was more difficult. Here's what I found:

Go to the menu for "Flash Setting." Choose "Flash Function Setting" and press the right selector button on the back of the camera. This brings up a screen called "Sync Terminal." In the upper left is a box that says either "Off" or "M." If it's "Off," turn the Rear Command Dial to bring up "M." This will also open a small panel called "Sync" in the lower right of the screen. Navigate to it via the selector buttons, then use the Rear Command Dial to choose front or rear curtain sync. Press the "Back" button to exit.

My Canon 580EXII will only expose properly in Manual mode. The Nikon SB28s will work in Auto mode, but underexposes by about a stop. They work just fine in Manuel.

I'm going to post the instructions for using 3rd party flashes on the X-T20 in a separate thread to make it easier for people to find.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. inkista

inkista Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Nice. Autothyristors (Ext.M on the 580EXII and A mode on the SB-28s) should cover the situations where TTL would be nice.

Have you tried taping over the TTL pins on the foot of the flash/triggers (they're the little four in a square below the sync pin)? The fact that Canon and Fuji X contact/pin placement is identical may be sending a wrong ack signal or something. You might also want to try putting a YN-622-TX into single-pin mode (C.Fn-o4). [The Please login to view links is great for learning this kind of stuff].

You need to turn off exposure simulation, since your ambient settings are underexposing. MaybePlease login to view links can help?

No, but it might make life a lot easier. :)

There's a reason a lot of us are wrestling with Godox gear and all the alpha/beta testing pains of early adopters.