This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Next Fuji X camera? - Advice sought

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by BernX, May 14, 2018.

1. BernX

BernX New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi everybody,

I've just joined this forum.

I've owned a Fuji x20 for 5 years and taken lots of images with it.
    At this stage, I feel it's time to move on to something bigger and better within the Fuji X family.
    I wondered if I could please get your advice on what to consider.

I tend to shoot street photography, people, buildings and small music concerts.

I was admiring the x100f for some time (and still do), but an important factor in my decision is that I now have a walking issue caused by MS which limits my mobility. I feel that the fixed prime lens on the x100f would make life difficult for me (x20 contains a decent zoom lens which means that I can stay put and shoot from where I am if necessary).

Weight and size is also an issue in my consideration.

Is it worth looking at the X-E3 plus an X zoom lens (18-135mm)?

Really appreciate any feedback on this; thanks in advance.

bern

2. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Bern - welcome to the forum.

I think X100F would meet all of the above subjects except perhaps music concerts, but you should also consider the wide and tele-adapters to extend it's capability. If you are used to a zoom you may find it limiting at first, but once mastered its a great camera to use.

If you do go the X-E3 route I would suggest the 18-55mm as the best option, you really need to get to a dealer where you can try out both options for comparison.

3. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Whatever Fuji body feels right in your hands would be great, and a zoom lens or two makes sense. The 18-55 is a great lens.

4. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have used an X-E2 for years, and think the X-E3 is a great choice. I have an X10 as well, so have an idea of what your X20 is like.

5. jedorme

jedorme Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've used X-100, X-100S, X-E2, X-Pro1 & now X-Pro2, all of which are in the rangefinder style of Fuji X cameras (in contrast with their X-T series which are styled to be more DSLR like in appearance & function). If you have enjoyed the X-20, then I think you would also have an easy adaption to the X-E3. It doesn't have the optical viewfinder like you have been using, but has an excellent electronic finder. You may want to try this out to make certain it works for you. Staying small & light weight with an optical finder would probably mean getting the X-100F. But given you've also been working with some zoom capabilities, then the X-E3 with the fairly small & excellent 18-55 zoom might be a better option. The 18-135mm is also an excellent lens but much larger & heavier to use on a small body like the X-E3. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

6. The Judge

The Judge Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, though that 3.5-5.6/18-135 lens weighs 490 g. For me mobility is a problem but carrying weight is even more of a problem. I would do some testing after buying a zoom lens to make sure your copy performs to your standards of sharpness, but overall there is nothing wrong with superzooms. Do you have the money to get a compact prime lens in addition to a superzoom? This way you can go outside either optimized for weight or for reach depending on how you're feeling.

The 2.8-4.0/18-55 is a very nice lens as well and you can buy it in a kit with the X-E3.

7. The Judge

The Judge Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I know this is a sensitive topic and I mean no offense (I've a fairly debilitating chronic neurological condition as well) but if you need to use a wheelchair your lens needs might change. You may be able to get away with carrying heavier gear than by walking. And your social interactions might change and you will find people are more patient when taking their portrait or doing street photography.

As an aside, a public librarian where I live has progressive MS that he manages by eliminating gluten and dairy and with meditation and yoga. He has bad days but he has stopped the progression with his diet change. He swing dances at a group I go to (I had to stop dancing due to heart problems) and is also a self-published sci-fi author.

For that X100 itch: you can pimp out your X-E3 by getting a prime lens and getting an external viewfinder that rangefinders used to have before viewfinders were integrated into the bodies. Sure, the X100 is modelled after the Leica M3, but you can have one up on that by aping the IIIf.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  8. Wayben

Wayben Member

-Return to Top-

+1 for the X-E3/18-55mm combo. My 18-55mm seldom leaves my X-E3, it's a great combination. Small and light-weight, with tons of picture taking capabilities!!

9. surfdogs

surfdogs Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No question, if possible, get to a shop and feel them in your hand for comparison. I have both X100F and X-E3. The previous suggestions all make sense. I don't own or want the 100F add on lenses. Simply because the 100F is, for me, meant to be, small, agile and near invisible. I'd be curious to know, using your X20, where do you most often find you're shooting focal length wise? Yes, 18-55 is great, and also in my case .. quite often on my X-E3. But, it's shorter than the zoom you're accustomed to on your 20. BTW, I bought, then sold 18-135mm lens. It might be great for you. For me, it was heavy. Which doesn't mean I don't sometimes use the 55-200mm on my 3. Also, though I don't own any, the Fuji C series lenses are lighter and cheaper. One of those on an X-E3 might be a great second lens after the 18-55.

10. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have X30 and when I move to bigger and better I got the X-T20. Seems like X30 on steroid except the zoom lens where X30 still better in that regard.

I now also have X-Pro1. Having had tilt screen for quite awhile, going with non tilting screen is the first annoyance to come to mind out there while shooting. I don't use it every time when I shoot, but when I need it, it's a pain to not have it.

After months of using X-T20 AND X-Pro1, I circled back to the X30 and having fun. This last one month trip to China and Hong Kong I took X30 and X-T20 with two lenses. I didn't take a single shot with the X-T20.

11. Mervington

Mervington Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My wife has had MS for over 6o years. Thus, I know a little about the problems it causes. She isn't a photographer as such, but when we are out I usually give her an X-M1 to use. It certainly would not be my X-Pro 1 or X-T1 that I have, purely because of the weight. As for a lens, it would be the 18-55 or the 27mm. The latter keeps the weight very down, but the former gives decent range. Optically, they are both super.

I sometimes use the X-M1 myself (in fact I have two) both costing less than £150 used with a top warranty. After the best part of two years, they still surprise me with their performance. One downside - no viewfinder, but do have a tilting screen.

As others have said, the opportunity to 'feel' the various bodies and lenses would be a great advantage.

I wish you well!

12. kenbennett

kenbennett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't own the 18-135, though I've used a friend's. My personal feeling is that the 18-55 would balance better on the small XE3 body.

Good luck figuring it all out.

13. Just Browsing

Just Browsing Member

-Return to Top-

I'm as much a Fujiphile as everyone else here seems to be, my last few cameras have been Fuji, but don't limit yourself to just Fuji. Many other manufacturers out there all producing nice small self contained cameras with zooms, Canon, Sony and Panasonic spring to mind.

14. gremlin75

gremlin75 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd try out the x-e3 and x-t20 to see which feels better for you.

the 18-55 is a little smaller then the 18-135 but will also be a little "shorter" then you're used to with the x20. the 18-135 is a very nice lens as well and will actually be "longer" then you're used to but the trade off is its size.