This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

New Zonlai Lens

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by geoff davies, Jan 2, 2018.

1. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

That's unfortunate, but the lens is available from reliable sellers via Amazon, here is a link Please login or register to view links

2. geoff davies

geoff davies Member

-Return to Top-

I won't be dealing with them again.
    Ordered on 5th January but it only took 6 days to UK after I threatened action.
    Hope you can find one elsewhere.

3. Stu

Stu Member

-Return to Top-

Seems like I like living dangerously....Just ordered one from Link Delight's website.
    The price, with coupon discount was $97 US....quite a bit less than what I could find elsewhere.
    I actually bought a 7artisans 25mm /f1.8 from them a while ago without any problems...via eBay, which might have got them moving a bit more quickly.
    But I'm in no great hurry anyway.
    I really like the 7a 25mm...apart from the inaccurate infinity stop...so if the Zonlai stops truly at infinity I will be happy.
    Also the 'click' aperture will be a pleasant change and also like the look of a wider focus ring...albeit on the inside.
    A bit wider would be good too....and although the 7a 25mm focuses close I don't think it gets down to 10cm.
    So just another $30 or so... to see if I made the right decision.

4. geoff davies

geoff davies Member

-Return to Top-

Hi there, I hope it works out for you.
    The price is what attracted me too.
    If they haven't already given you a tracking number, I suggest you harass them for it.
    I sent several emails without reply, and then managed to contact their online chat line.
    Thats when things started moving. I got a tracking number and could watch each leg of the journey.
    From China to Hong Kong to London, my local delivery office and when it was out for delivery.
    As I said previously that trip only took 6 days so getting them moving is the trick. LOL
    Hope you like it when you get it.

5. Stu

Stu Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Geoff, I'll start hammering them in a couple of days if nothing is happening.
    I've been learning a bit more about this lens.....the aperture/focus ring layout with the DOF/distance read-outs are rather Leica-like. If these are accurate [as, is it seems, is not the case with 7artisans 25] it should make zone focusing a breeze!
    Also it seems to have a bit of heft....235g...as against the 7artisans [143g]...and even the Fuji 23mm f/2 [190g]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  6. geoff davies

geoff davies Member

-Return to Top-

Focus marks are pretty good. Infinity focus peak sparkles are on a mountain top about 3 miles away, 6 feet mark is very close and 6" is about right.
    Haven't tried zone focussing but comparing the marks with a 28mm lens I have, they would seem about right. Have to try it out.
    It is hefty, Think all metal construction and a bit more glass than the 25.
    As with all lenses though I wouldn't want to bang it about to much.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it as long as the QC is as good as mine.

Stu likes this.
  7. Stu

Stu Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks again, Geoff.
    Have you had a chance to test for flaring? I've got the 7artisan 25mm and 35mm f/1.2....and at the wrong angle they are little flare machines.
    I thought I'd get in early at Link-Delight and find out the situation...and gee, oh gosh, you wouldn't believe it!....the warehouse is out of stock [sold the last one just that morning!] I was told they will be re-stocking next week [a generic term...'next week' really means..'in the future sometime']
    I went in with my eyes wide-shut so I'll take all the blame :)
    I'll keep harassing them until they send it...sometime.
    Actually hardly anyone else stocking this lens and on eBay, Amazon it's $30 AUD more expensive......so I'll wait

8. geoff davies

geoff davies Member

-Return to Top-

Same thing happened to me. E-mailed to see if they had stock, they confirmed they had, I ordered immediately and three days later they said they were waiting for stock !!!!
    Haven't tried flaring although some of my shots were into the sunlight ( not including the sun ) and there aren't any flares showing in the photos.
    I always use a hood anyway. Just took a pic of a light bulb and the frame is black apart from the bulb. Not very scientific but it looks good.

9. AngeloOportus

AngeloOportus New Member

-Return to Top-

If it helps, I've found a korean site where a guy (girl?) posted some test shots: Please login or register to view links

10. Stu

Stu Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks,
    And another one that popped up.....petty positive amateur review from China [with a fair page translation and quite a few shots]

Please login or register to view links

11. geoff davies

geoff davies Member

-Return to Top-

Well at least I'm not the only person in the world that has one LOL.

12. FMW

FMW Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have that lens with the 7 Artisans brand. It is very soft at the edges and has an amazing amount of color aberration, especially at the edges. As long as you crop your images, it is useful. I'd look for something better.

BloodNGutsMurphy likes this.
  13. specLegacy

specLegacy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Mine finally arrived yesterday! It fit fine on my X-E2, but for some reason is too tight on the X-Pro2. I ended up filing down the throat of the lens mount a bit to make it fit.

Build quality likes:
    Feels solid
    - Clicky aperture stops, but feels smooth in between stops
    - Aperture ring at the front of the lens (I'm weird, but I like this setup)
    - Smooth focus throw. Twice the focus throw compared to the 25/1.8, 35/1.8, (and Wesley 24/1.8 and 7artisans 25/1.8). Much easier to get accurate focus
    - Distance and aperture marks are fairly accurate
    - They took the time to design a different mount for Sony vs. M43/FX cameras, so the rear of the lens actually is the same diameter as the camera mount. With the 25/1.8, it seemed to be more designed for Sony E, which made it too fat for the FX mount. Just cosmetics, but it's a nice touch

Build quality dislikes:
    - Lens mount was too tight on the X-Pro2
    - Aperture blades are not rounded
    - A tiny bit of play in the focus ring
    - Aperture clicks are louder than I'm used to

Image quality first impressions:
    - Good sharpness wide open, excellent by f/2.8 or f/4
    - Much better corner sharpness than the 25/1.8
    - Some barrel distortion mid-frame, but lines are pretty straight at the far edges
    - A bit of soap-bubble looking bokeh

Compared to the XF23/2.0, the Zonlai:
    - Is a bit wider
    - Feels more than 1/3 stop brighter
    - Is sharper at close distances
    - Has less global contrast (shadows are not as dark)

14. specLegacy

-Return to Top-

The 7Artisans 25/1.8 is a copy of the Zonlai 25/1.8. This 22/1.8 is a totally new design, and I think much better than the 25/1.8

Stu and geoff davies like this.
  15. geoff davies

geoff davies Member

-Return to Top-

Glad it arrived LOL..
    You sound pleased with it. Strange about the mount fitting - as I said mine is has a tiny bit of slack on the X-E1.
    Odd how the lens is ok on one camera and tight on another.
    Nice to know how it compares with the Fuji offering at a fraction of the price.

Stu likes this.
  16. Stu

Stu Member

-Return to Top-

Hmmm...sounding better all the time! Even without having mine yet I've got a feeling this is going to be a very popular lens!
    Time for another email to Link Delightful!

geoff davies likes this.
  17. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Wow. I heard the XF 23/2 is deemed about 21mm. If the zonlai is even wider...

18. geoff davies

geoff davies Member

-Return to Top-

Checking unscientifically, It seems to have about the same field of view as a 28mm lens on Full Frame.
    That would put it at about 19mm ?
    Was hoping for a 35mm equivalent which would have been the advertised 23mm.
    But hey ho, now its a compact wide angle instead of a wide angle standard.

19. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That would be an alternative to XF 18/2. Wished it as small as the 18/2...

20. specLegacy

-Return to Top-

I saw a test comparing the 23/1.4 to the 23/2 that claimed the 23 is a bit wider, but the comparison was done at close distances. I'm guessing the 23/1.4 might have some focus breathing (haven't used the 23/1.4, so I'm just speculating). The 23/2, on the other hand, has what seems to be no focus breathing at all. This would mean that at close distances, the 23/1.4 ends up giving a narrower field of view, while the 23/2 still maintains the same field of view as it would have when focused at distant subjects.

I've just compared the Zonlai against the XF18/2, and the Zonlai 22mm is noticeably narrower than the 18/2. It's just a touch wider than the 23/2, so I believe their claim of 22mm.

I also compared the 22/1.8 against the 23/2 focused at something about 0.3m away. At this distance, the 22/1.8 is slightly narrower than the 23/2.

rokphish likes this.