This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Lens Hood and Lens Cap for Hiking with the X T-2

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by J. Ross, Jul 11, 2018.

1. J. Ross

J. Ross Member

-Return to Top-

Hello Fuji X Forum Members:

I do a lot of hiking and I usually have my camera, X T-2, dangling from my neck or on the side of my body. Because it is often dusty, I like to have the lens cap on to keep it as dust and grit free as possible. I have the kit lens 18-55 mm, but I use a 72mm polarizing filter at times. I would like to have a lens hood that I can leave on with the 72 mm step up ring and be able to cover it with a lens cap or something that acts like a lens cap. I also would like to avoid vignetting if possible.

Would you know of a quality lens hood and "cap" solution? Do you have a "hack" to solve the problem?

If you don't have a complete solution, I would like to know of a good quality 72mm lens hood that won't break the bank and will be effective with my lens and step up ring combination!

Thanks to the community for your considered advice!

Regards,

J. Ross

2. Rand47

Rand47 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Optech makes a product called “Hood Hat.”

Please login or register to view links

I have several of them that I use as “lens caps” that fit snugly over the lens with the lens hood installed. Keeps dust and junk off the front element, and because they are neoprene, also provide some nominal protection from bumps.

Price is reasonable, and they can be easily stuffed in a pants pocket when taken off for shooting, without worry about damaging them.

Rand

3. Allsop

Allsop Member

-Return to Top-

Amazon stock them. Look good.

4. Sarawak

Sarawak Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I once knew a guy who went into his local pound store. He tried the various sizes of plastic storage containers and found some whose lids fitted perfectly.

He claimed they fitted perfectly and never fell off!

5. J. Ross

J. Ross Member

-Return to Top-

This looks very promising. I wrote to the company to ask questions about sizing. In your experience, do they hold up well. I will be taking it off and on quite a bit as I hike the dusty trails of your national parks to capture nature and wildlife pictures.

ALSO...do you know of any manufacturer who produces a quality 72mm lens hood? I need one to stick on my 18-55 kit lens which I sometimes use with a 72mm polarizing filter.

Thanks again for your consideration.

6. kiwitracks

kiwitracks Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The lens hood is fixed to the lens, not the filter. So, I don't think you can fix any lens hood if you use a step-up ring on your lens to fit a large filter.

7. J. Ross

J. Ross Member

-Return to Top-

II believe that if you have a lens hood with the correct thread, it will screw into the filter; not sure, but this was my understanding! Thanks for your thoughts.

8. Rand47

Rand47 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Optech Hood Hats are very rugged. They’re basically wet-suit material. One could even wash them off if they got dirty and dusty.

Rand

9. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use several of the generic rubber lens hoods that screw onto filter threads. They are available from suppliers such as B&H or Adorama in just about any filter thread size. These work well with with a typical revolving polarizing filter. Many of them fold back to save space (or to prevent vignetting with wider focal lengths) and can also accommodate many lens caps that fit close to the filter (depending on the specific lens cap design), rather than covering the whole hood. It can be a pain unscrewing a round rubber hood stuck on a filter.

My feeling is that you don't need a lens cap at all, since you have a filter mounted over the lens already.

Polarizing filters can sometimes ruin a photo too, so I seldom leave one on the camera for extended periods; I use skylight filters instead and boost contrast as needed in post processing. The other reason people use a polarizer is to cut through reflections, but I almost always prefer seeing the reflections, rather than doing away with them, but that's just a personal preference. They can cut glare as well, but I often like glare, and again the "de-haze" slider in LR can fix quite a bit of glare.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  10. John Criminger

John Criminger Member

-Return to Top-

11. John Criminger

John Criminger Member

-Return to Top-

I use them too. They are great for those long hoods where you can't reach the lens cap to remove it without taking the hood off. Get them snug. They will loosen over time but only by a very small amount.

12. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, and watch out for vignetting. They can often be partly folded out of the way for wider lenses, or even cut down with scissors.

13. John Criminger

John Criminger Member

-Return to Top-

I was referring to the Op/Tech Hood Hats.