This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Is there an aesthetic to Fujifilm x .... ?

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by dee Dowling, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The EVF panel is the size of a thumb nail, the eyepiece is only a loupe for viewing close... If Fuji could fit all that without a hump in the X-Pro and X-E cameras, why then the fake SLR hump?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 1:54 AM
  2. Zlatko Batistich

Zlatko Batistich Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that several factors are involved, each contributing something to the "hump" design:
    • The X-Pro's EVF is significantly smaller, I'm guessing 70% as big. Relate to that, the X-T offers much better eye comfort thanks to its bigger EVF.
    • The entire X-Pro body is taller than that of the X-T series, giving it more headroom for an EVF. The X-T body is shorter overall, but still needs room for its bigger viewfinder. If you made an X-T with a flat top (no hump), either the EVF would have to be smaller, or the entire body would have to be taller.
    • By moving the EVF to side instead of over the lens mount, the EVF can sit lower in the X-Pro's already taller body body.
    • The X-T has to support the weight of a flash right above its EVF, so some of the bulk may be for that.
    One other thing I see is that add-on EVFs like those for Leica, Olympus or Canon mirrorless cameras are all pretty bulky. I'm admittedly no expert on camera innards, but it seems to me those EVFs are bulky for a reason, and the reason isn't to create a fake DSLR hump.

3. dee Dowling

dee Dowling Member

-Return to Top-

The SLR styled cameras are good for those using a left eye .
    I have just one eye that is not distorted-luckily the right.
    If it is geared towards SLR users .... and SLRs are going out of fashion ... maybe the centred EVF will die out .
    i am used to a central finder , but can adapt readily-even to screen composing if need be.
    Intriguing responses , thank you all .
    I also bought a new , close out Pentax KS1 with kit zoom and 35mm @ £215 , so I may be a bit daft wanting a Fuji XT10 when my 3x cameras over the last year came to just £630 !
    It's not as if I need an SLR .. but those Fuji-files are just so evocative !!
    dee

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. NYRich

NYRich Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A lot of truth here. Most of us (myself most certainly included) have way too much gear.

In addition to shooting Nikon SLRs, I shot Leica M (M2 and M6) for many years. I wanted more than anything for Leica to release a digital M but you're so right about the M8 being a brick. Just the colors that came out of that thing could make a buzzard puke. A ZI digital, with maybe a Nikon or Canon sensor from that era, would have gotten me to open my wallet really fast. Tried the Epson and returned it in 3 days.

So you're using LTM and M mount glass with adaptors on your X-E1? I've been thinking about the M adaptor but, having long ago sold all my a Leitz glass, the cost of buying another set of Summicrons just isn't in the cards.

5. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have 8 LTM/M-glass still...[15~85mmFL] but only a solo FX 27/2 pancake just in case. Never trusted "out-a-focus" since the first AF Nikkor [...'82], Fuji has a long way yet to go.

My 1C1L rig now is an X-E1 with a LM 28/2.8 asph. welded on, but the slimmest is an Avenon LTM 28/3.5 pancake...a mere 17mm protruding from flange.

My R-D1 is still working fine, a fast SD card cures indigestions in JPEG procession since early days.

My 8 Nikon's and 14 AIs Nikkors are permanent displays [in my personal museum]. My M2 and ZI are now occasional finger toys.

I dislike the slope right shoulder of the X-Pro's since day one. The X-T model had never caught my interest because of the fake SLR-like hump.

My X-E1 would serve as backup soon as FW 1.1 released [initial bugs fixed] for the [soon announced] X-E3.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017