This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Is anyone using a tablet for post process

Discussion in 'Post Processing/Software Forum' started by SquarePeg, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Mk1

Mk1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I now am typing this on my 10.5 iPad Pro 512gb WiFi beast of a machine.
    I have compared Lightroom CC on this and against my Imac - this beats it every time, I have hardly turned on the Mac really.
    With my current health issues and now I have sold lots of my equipment this suits my X100F perfectly.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    SquarePeg likes this.
  2. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody New Member

-Return to Top-

Brilliant! I can't believe I never thought of this. This is going to be a game changer for me. Thanks!

I too do almost all my editing on an iPad Pro. Lightroom is fantastic on it, and it supports roundtripping to Affinity. The only piece of the puzzle missing for me is the ability to use X-Transformer to convert them to DNG. Wish I could do that on the iPad.

SquarePeg likes this.
  3. DFW

DFW Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Picked up my IPad Pro. Bought the 12.9 first but after 3 days I took it back and swapped for the 10.5. I just didn’t like the bigger one for how I like to hold it while I am sitting and using it . It was awkward . The 10.5 is way better for me. Loved the bigger screen but this one is nice too. Got the pencil as well and it is great. I am working my way through Affinity and it seems like a good program . Snapseed works great for jpegs which I use mostly but I will continue to work with Affinity with Raw files until I am comfortable with editing them.

SquarePeg likes this.
  4. mnhoj

mnhoj Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the 2018 9.7 iPad incoming with a pencil.
    I am curious to see how much and what I can do on the Pad vs. my MacBook Pro.
    Also curious to see how an app like Duet Pro can integrate the in between.

Should be loads of fun.

5. mjm obrien

mjm obrien Member

-Return to Top-

The 2018 9.7 iPad/with pencil is entry level. Not even close to what the 2017 iPad Pro's are capable of.

6. Mk1

Mk1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Changed to the 12.9 IPad Pro and love it
    Bigger screen is beautiful makes the Fuji images sing!

SquarePeg likes this.
  7. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Tin Man-
    How is the transfer rate via SD reader?
    After your edit are sending them to cloud storage or to external drive? Going to an external drive would require a few extra steps in your workflow.
    Are editing JPG's or Raw uncompressed files?

Square Peg-
    It makes sense about going with the 256GB over the 512GB financially. After working with a laptop with limited storage I've become accustom working limitation of small screen and finding storage solutions. With the Pro the only external that I can see is being cloud base which is not not really a bad thing.

Are you working in jpg's or raw files or both? (sorry if you already answered above thisI just can not remember or did see it.)
    how large of files are you creating? Multiply layered file which are later compressed into a single layer image?
    How does the Pro handle lager files with multiple layers (take you can do multi layered files in Affinity Photo, sorry once again don't know the software except it an alternative to LR and other in mobile market.)

How are getting your images from card to Pro? What is the transfer rate like? On the average how many files are moving at time? 50, 200, 500 more or less not looking for an exact number just a ballpark. Obviously jpg's will move much faster than raf file. Maybe one day apple will update the OS to read compressed files.

Still happy as a bug in a rug with your new workflow?
    Thanks for your time!!
    Ru2far2c-

8. BloodNGutsMurphy

BloodNGutsMurphy Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

SD card in laptop. Windows automatically imports them to a hard drive. Then drag them to Google Photos. Then edit on tablet and upload edited ones to Flickr. I have a good Samsung s 10.5 tablet but smashed the screen the other day. It is a bit old now anyway.

Using the wife’s iPad for now but it is not as good e.g. no editing options when uploading to Flickr, cannot open photos from Google Photos on an editing app, not 16:9 screen so videos are smaller and can’t load videos on it to watch when traveling (no SD card and they just don’t play many formats).

Going to get a Windows tablet notebook 2 in 1 hopefully with a pen and calibrated screen. I like using Polarr but it doesn’t work at all on Android anymore, it does on Windows, hopefully on weaker netbook tablets too. The ideal would be a powerful, sleek Surface Book that could handle heavy video editing too and just had one plug for wires, so it could also be used as main laptop, maybe in a few years.

I only use JPEG and often just do a touch of editing in Google Photos and/or Flickr, Snapseed is very good but lacks a lot. Switching to Fuji has been great as my photos need far less adjustments.

9. mnhoj

mnhoj Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My question to myself was how much I could do on this iPad vs. my MacBook workflow.
    The answer so far..
    Not much. ( :
    The pencil is awesome. The 2018 has run flawlessly so far with Procreate and Affinity photo.

Easily the best $400 I've spent in a long time.

10. mjm obrien

mjm obrien Member

-Return to Top-

The 2018 9.7 iPad is an entry level toy compared to either iPad Pro. It is not for photographers. It's for fun...

The problem is Color Space. The Wide P3 Color Gamut. The cheaper display of the 9.7 iPad is incapable of displaying it.
    So it never can be an accurate editing solution.

Transfer an image from a Retina Mac Book Pro to a iPad Pro and they will look the same. Not so with the 9.7. It will look washed out.

My Brother has the 9.7... I have the 12.9, The difference is massive.

11. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Understand your talking about the difference between the 9.7 iPad and the iPad Pro 12.9. Is your iPad Pro a 2015 iPad Pro or the 2017? Would think there would be difference between the two generation of the Pro's as there is a major difference between iPad air 2 and the new iPad 9.7.

Don't think that you profile these guys as far as I'm aware of right now. Find it interesting your not getting a color shift going from your 12.9 to your MacBooK Pro. Also taking it you calibrate your MacBook. Are using LR CC mobile, affinity or another post processing app?
    Thank for your time!

Cheers~

12. gremlin75

gremlin75 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As a photographer I can say it’s a fun toy to do some editing on and even more fun with the pencil.

It’s far from a computer replacement but to do a couple quick edits for Facebook and Instagram. For the size and price of the 12.9 iPad Pro I’d rather get a 13” MacBook Pro.

BloodNGutsMurphy likes this.
  13. mnhoj

mnhoj Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A good point. I apologize for not following the point of the topic.

My joy is being able to integrate the pen interface. As limited as it may be. And draw - the main reason I'm loving it.
    Which I've wanted to do for a long time having used cheaper Wacom tablets and not wanting to invest in a stand alone tablet or change over to a Surface.

Toy, fun, entry level price. Life is great!!!

14. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

So sorry not to have answered you sooner! June was a very hectic month for me and I’ve barely been online at all.

To answer your specific questions as best I can...

I shoot raw + jpeg and they’re split on 2 different sd cards. 99% of the time for me I’m good with the jpeg and that is what I process. I will use the WiFi if transferring just a few photos. If I have more than 50 I’ll use the sd transfer thingy.

I haven’t calculated transfer rate but with jpegs it hasn’t been an issue that I’ve noticed.

If I do decide I need to make the type of adjustments that only a raw file will support, I will download just that one file or if it’s an easy fix like exposure, I’ll convert the raw file in camera then transfer it via WiFi.

For one project I wanted to adjust the white balance of all the photos so I used the sd thing and loaded about 300 files. It was a while ago and I know it wasn’t instant but it wasn’t all that long either or I would have noticed.

Still thrilled with the workflow and would buy the Pro again in a minute. No issues so far. But I’m just a hobbyist and not shooting every day so not sure how efficient it would be if I were...

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

15. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

SquarePeg-
    Thanks for getting back to this post!

I'm still on the fence about just using the iPad Pro for editing and post processing. I don't shoot as much as I use to do either. I have been working more on person projects than shooting as a working photographer. So it may be a good fit once I figure out my strategy for workflow. Transfer speed is not that big of concern I don't think. I were doing a paying job I'd more than likely go back to my workflow the iPad just to expedite the process.
    Thanks for your feed back along with the other here!
    Enjoy!

16. BreylPhoto

BreylPhoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Mk1,

indeed, the latest updates to the IOS version of Lightroom have impressed me a lot !
    It is very fast and has now a nearly complete feature set. The addition of synced pre-sets was really great.
    I use that much more nowadays.

The only thing still bugging me, is the import functions offered by Apple on their mobile devices.
    I like the Photos App as the place where I store and present the finished picture, but importing RAWs or RAW&JPEG first into Photos, then in Lightroom and then the results back to Photos is still something I don't like. JPG only workflows are ok though.
    And I heard that the upcoming IOS 12 will bring some changes in the area of picture import. I don't know the details though.

Cheers & get well soon,

Robin

17. Mk1

Mk1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Robin sadly I had to sell my X100F and lens adaptors as with my nerve issues I couldn’t bring it up to my eye for the viewfinder
    I am keeping my little X70 though
    I now have the 12.9 iPad Pro and it’s great.
    I too find the issue with import is not being able to import directly into LR CC on here and I have to then go back and delete all of them to save storage.
    Google photos uploads them as I import them so original JPEG are up there.

18. DFW

DFW Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Two months into PP with my iPad Pro and still loving it. Sometimes I think it would be fun to do post on a big screen desktop but really don’t want to spend that kind of money on one as I only use my iPad for all my computing needs these days.
    I learning to process Raw files with Affinity just so I can but most of my pics are jpegs and I am doing very little processing. I find I am using Snapseed a lot ! I love their presets especially the one called Pop.

DrSommer and SquarePeg like this.
  19. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

I'm a year in and have only used my pc for editing 2X and that was because I wanted to use my Topaz Lab filters. Editing on the iPad with Affinity is so easy. I love it. I'll have to try Snapseed. I've used it on my iphone photos on my phone but didn't think to add it to my tablet. Nice idea.

DrSommer and DFW like this.
  20. bralk

bralk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I occasionally edit on an iPad using the "Artstudio Pro" software whitch also runs on
    desk- and laptops. It will eventually replace Photoshop when I can no longer run CS6.

SquarePeg, DrSommer and DFW like this.