This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Is anyone using a tablet for post process

Discussion in 'Post Processing Forum' started by SquarePeg, Aug 30, 2017.

1. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I bought lenovo laptop for travel, it is quite thin and not that heavy, the one I got was refurbished.
    Please login or register to view links

The one I got was an i7 processor and 16gb ram. It is just under 5 lbs. I don't find a huge difference to the color, it uses an Nvidia graphics chip. I find apple colors do not match my calibrated monitors but they are not that far off, it is not a huge issue for me, but I find that I do everything in sRGB for the web. With any kind of lcd angle of view is always an issue, as well as ambient light.

Alan

2. adnan w

adnan w Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Peg
    I was at a friends house last night and had a fondle of a 12 iPad pro.... I'm sold. Images look beautiful.
    Fuji Jpegs open up like a deep colorful world right there in ones hands.
    Combining that platform with the iPhone and Cloud sharing I can see a whole new method for workflow.
    Will probably still continue bring RAW images over to the desktop for a while.
    I scan a lot of B+W images also so the desktop is not going anywhere soon for me.

Mobile is where the future is going for all of this. It's one area I don't mind adopting early (it may be too late to be early??).
    Considering a 14day window to return to Apple. It's easy enough to give it a go.

Flickr will either figure it out and catch up or screw many, many of us that have a decade or more work there.
    I hope for the latter from "Oath". Bets are still running.

3. Tin Man

Tin Man Active Member

-Return to Top-

I am using an iPad Pro (First Gen), Apple Pencil, Pixelmator and Affinity Photo with my X-T1. I use a Lightning SD Card Reader to download to my iPad and then later connect the iPad to my iMac to backup the photos I keep.

For me this is a perfect setup as most photos require little editing.

As a side note, I also picked up the Brydge keyboard which makes the iPad into a quasi MacBook.

SquarePeg likes this.
  4. mmalia

mmalia Member

-Return to Top-

Tried the Brydge keyboard too. Nice to type on but found it too heavy and bulky. Thicker than my MacBook Pro if I remember right, definitely so than the 12" MacBook. Settled on the Smart Keyboard cover and got used to it but yeah for typing, Brydge is a better experience.

Tin Man likes this.
  5. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

For "typing" emails or forum posts or really anything...when I'm on my phone or tablet, I will typically use the talk to text feature for 80-90% of that. It's such a useful feature. Although you really have to proof read. The other day I said "we are all set" in a text and it typed "oral sex". Yikes good thing I didn't hit send since it was to my mother.

Tin Man likes this.
  6. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

I think I'm sold. Looked at the large iPad Pro yesterday and it's gorgeous. Found this review and like what I see. Now to try to hold off for Holiday sales!

Please login or register to view links

7. mmalia

mmalia Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not sure where you're at but I just saw it was on sale for $100 off from Best Buy, I don't keep track of that kind of thing but I think that's one of the largest discounts I remember seeing. Anyway, hope it helps!

8. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

Yes thanks! I was at BB yesterday.

Now I have to decide between the 256GB and the 512. Not sure I need the 512 but its "only" $200 more... Still I could use that $200 toward the pen, keyboard case and SD transfer cable.

9. mmalia

mmalia Member

-Return to Top-

Awesome! Yeah definitely include those 3 things in the cost. I also highly recommend apples lesther case that also holds the pencil, very sleek. If it's in your budget the 512 will help future proof you. Though, having said that, I also have the 512GB but heavily make use of iClouds function where it stores iPad optimized photos locally instead of full res. It then downloads the full res as I need it, it's been pretty reliable so far. However, I know a lot of photographers are not comfortable with that.

10. Dr.S

Dr.S Premium Member

-Return to Top-

RNI ?

11. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

What about it?

12. Dr.S

Dr.S Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Please search on App Store for it.

13. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

I did that and can see what it is. What was the point of your post?

14. Mk1

Mk1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am planning the same idea too.
    Over here in the UK I am aiming for the 12.9 and 512gb storage and LTE or over here 4G
    All we need now is tethered shooting to it.....

15. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

What are the advantages to getting cellular vs just using wifi? I can set up a mobile hotspot with my phone and have wifi anywhere that I'd have cell service. Why pay a monthly fee to have another device on my wireless bill??

16. Mk1

Mk1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thats a good point! I do get 25GB per month on my phone plan!

17. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

I got the iPad Pro 12.9 yesterday! It was a tough decision after the announcement of the 80mm lens but I decided to forego that for now and go with the iPad. Will have to wait until the gear budget is replenished before I can get the 80. Hopefully I will sell the rest of my Nikon gear soon - I'll be drooling over the 80 until then... will let you know my thoughts on processing with the iPad and Affinity app when I've had some time to evaluate it.

Heavy Doody likes this.
  18. DFW

DFW Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

So
    So what are your thoughts on your decision? I am looking at all options myself right now. I am the same as you posting pics for family and friends to Instagram and onto Flickr and eventually the odd print. My first thought was a laptop as I don’t really want to be tied to a desk with desktop . Right now I am using my old iPad Air to do a bit of post on the jpegs before sending wherever. Did you go with the 256 or 512?

19. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

I’m thrilled with how it’s working for me. I’m using my iPad Pro and Affinity Photo for 99% of my editing. The only time I sit at my desk these days, other than work, is if I want to use my Topaz plug ins as they don’t work in the Affinity app. Getting away from my desk and all that editing had freed up so much time to shoot and do other things!

I got the 256 and use iCloud storage extra $2 month. For the difference in price it would take 8 years to make up the additional cost of the 512 at $2 month and I doubt the iPad will last or be used for that long before newer technology calls me!

Have not had any storage issues but I’m good about only saving the keepers and dumping the rest. I put the iPad on airplane mode while I cull so only the keepers make it to the cloud. I don’t use the iPad for much else other than surfing the web so your mileage may vary.

liggy likes this.
  20. DFW

DFW Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I like hearing that you do 99% on the iPad , so many replies to my queries about using a iPad or MacBook for editing they always say they do a bunch on them and then finish up on the desktop. My old desktop has sat unused for probably 5 years and my old Dell laptop is about the same. They would both need so much work to upgrade that I might as well buy new. Right now I do all my web surfing and purchases etc on my iPad Air and like the mobility. The wife loves her little HP laptop and does all our banking etc on it so no need of the desktop.

SquarePeg likes this.