This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I WANT THE 80mm MACRO LENS...NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by GreenGuy33, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

One thing you do need to learn is that you end up standing around in the forest a lot while he does stuff like this.
    Instead of doing this we could be climbing up and down steep hills which is what I prefer. :D

Please login or register to view links

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Topsy, Shadowside, YogiMik and 2 others like this.
  2. Richard_M

Richard_M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That image I was using the 150mm macro. Which along with the 105mm are my most used lenses for fungi. Native flowers and orchids I've found I need longer focal length again, so I'm now using 180mm macro for them. I also use an 85mm Lensbaby for those funky sort of shots :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shadowside, rmd and howlindawg like this.
  3. digital_noise

digital_noise Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Well, Im basing this off the fact that I prefer to shoot macro with my Canon 6D but I admit that I have yet to shoot my Xpro 2 with any true macro. That said the viewfinder placement would not allow me to use my Kirk flash bracket as my left eye would be too close to the handle for my comfort. The centralized viewfinder on DSLR's and possibly the XT-2 make this easier.

4. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It is pretty boring and unexciting kind of photography. I would fall asleep :D

5. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

All jokes aside I totally disagree with you there. It is very technically skilful and intriguing to watch @Richard_M set up the shots then see the finished results. It's not my thing I am not patient enough but it is definitely neither boring nor unexciting.

6. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

All jokes aside, I just can't seat and watch camera taking all those shots. Intuitive photography engages me much more. I anticipate much more the experience of taking the photo, than the final result.

7. buck777

buck777 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm happy with my 90. I can imagine the 80 being incredibly sharp, however I'm saving my $ for the 200 f2

8. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I like my 90 too. I wonder how much the 200 f2 will list for?

9. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

Crystal ball reading incoming:
    The 200/2 will be between 3'500 and 5'000$ (USD)
    They can't sell it at the price of a Canon or Nikon, but it will be nearly the same size and weight, and of just as high quality.

buck777 and rmd like this.
  10. buck777

buck777 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm hoping it would be 3K max but I think I'm dreaming. At f2 it'll be spectacular. I'll probably be trading in my 50-140 + kidney. The purchase invoice will be destroyed before getting home and will never be spoken about again.

11. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I suggest taking home invoiced as second hand lens!

12. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

Its dead easy. Shop at this place.

Xenon100F, cali92rs, Mischa and 3 others like this.
  13. blacksheep

blacksheep Member

-Return to Top-

Was hoping for a 120mm and this lens is heavier than my 90mm. So I think I might pass on it. Will use my 90 and the Fuji Extension tubes for now.

14. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm trying to decide between the extension tubes or the Raynox 250.

15. phocus.org

phocus.org Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Referring to this thread’s title – me too!

Contradicting some hypotheses here, I’m an experienced close-up/macro person and I’ll get the XF80. Don’t need OIS for macro (IS via tripod) but welcome it for quickies. Would have hoped for real smooth MF instead of MF by wire but, live is a trade off.

For what I’ve seen so far (macro pics, i.e., what it is made for), I like the XF80’s bokeh along with its nice pop owing to its OOF transition, sharpness and contrast (would like to see raw files though).

The XF80’s rendering of highlights close behind the plane of focus (transition zone) seems nothing to write home about though. Some nervous and slightly ring-edged highlights in the frog picture of Leigh Miller on Flickr (when enlarged, see Please login or register to view links ). Like with the Zeiss Touit 50M. The XF60 is much better here. To be fair, this is very difficult close background and most macros ‘feature’ this kind of bokeh then. I’ve experience with the Touit 50M, XF60, most AF macro lenses from Nikon and Sigma and the Zeiss Macro Planar 100mm f2 ZF.2 and mainly the Leica Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm f2.8. So far, smooth even strong highlights in the focus transition zone I’ve experienced only with the XF60, the Sigma 105 OS and the Leica, while only the Leica also comes with top-notch resolution and micro-contrast. Albeit this is obviously a difficult task I had hoped for smoother rendering of OOF highlights with the XF80. Luckily, in prints (even large ones) such behavior becomes less obvious than on screen.

I love the Leica Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R since my Leica-R days but, I’m tired of adapting it to digitals, i.e., of working aperture. Moreover, on sensors smaller than FF, it is wasted anyway with its marvelous sharpness and microcontrast throughout the full frame. Altogether, and at this point in time, my favorite macro lens on Fuji-X is the XF80.

Subject to future revocation due to new insights :)

16. Richard_M

Richard_M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm waiting for the lens to be released and then based on price and user feedback will make up my mind if to purchase one. At this stage I'm considering purchasing a Lensbaby Velvet 85mm. Although it is only 1:2, I've been playing with one on my Nikon's and I like the bokeh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: changed images to ones taken at f/4 and not f/2.8 as per the previous images to show the lens sharpness improves as the lens opens up

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 5:02 AM
  17. phocus.org

-Return to Top-

Hm, looks more like soft-focus rather than bokeh (the latter also lives from sharpness and contrast in the plane of focus, IMHO).

18. Richard_M

Richard_M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Your're probably correct, as wide open it designed as a soft focus lens. The lens has a 12 blade diaphragm, and apparently by about f/5.6 the softness effects of the lens diminishes.

According to Wikipedia

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 4:43 AM
  19. phocus.org

-Return to Top-

Oups, quite impressive jump from full aperture to f5.6.
    (PS: can’t edit my previous post anymore, so it refers to vanished pictures)

I don’t wanna be picky, but in order to sort out the terminology and to prevent misunderstandings:

Your lens baby’s behavior is less an effect than plain poor performance at large apertures. You can achieve this “effect” with any sharp lens by just using a softener filter but, with poor large aperture performance, you’ll never get bokeh-ish pictures that also have pop at large apertures. Bokeh does not mean softness all over the place. Nor does it just mean smooth rendition of non-contrasty far background, which can be achieved with any lens as of a certain focal length or magnification factor, rsp.

According to Zeiss, in contrast to Wikipedia and many forums, the mere number or shape of the aperture blades have little to do with the quality of bokeh. The shape of aperture blades rather determines the shape of (blurred) highlights than their smoothness (while the cats-eye shape of off-center highlights with some fast lenses has nothing to do with the shape of aperture blades). Smoothness of bokeh, especially of highlights and nervous contrasty areas, is largely determined by the correction of spherical aberrations (among others). Bokeh-wise, there is a lens and purpose specific optimum of spherical correction the lens should not fall short of but that also should not be exceeded (ie., there is no more-is-always-better).
    You may want to look for "Depth of Field and Bokeh" by Dr. Hubert Nasse (Zeiss), available as pdf, at Please login or register to view links

Smoothness of light transitions inside blurred highlight balls is also determined by the quality of the grinding of the glass, esp. when aspherical, which is particularly difficult. This doesn’t mean that non-aspherical lenses always show smooth transition here. When they announced the XF80 with an aspherical lens element I was already skeptical about the XF80’s rendition of blurred highlight balls. For more about this, see four posts above this one (#115).

As already mentioned, I'll "still" buy the XF80 anyway. :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 9:51 AM
  20. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Photographer Michael Magulski tested the new XF80mmF2.8 macro lens,
    during a food's picture shooting, in the 5-star hotel "Severins Keitum auf Sylt" in Germany, north-west of Hamburg.