This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I hate the x-pro2

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by kofa, Jun 26, 2017.

1. George Komiotis

George Komiotis AKA Photogeo180

-Return to Top-

2. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Their prices for the X-T2 at £1005 and X-Pro2 at £1059 body only are the lowest I've seen in the UK. I don't understand their pricing of the X-T20 with 16-50 though where the black is £709 and the silver is £819.

3. Threaded

Threaded Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Full disclosure - I did buy an X-Pro1 from them previously - they're Hong Kong based and clearly grey market, hence the prices. I did get fuji uk to confirm in principle that they would honour the guarantee, but the camera I received was clearly US stock (I'm in the uk) with a us serial no and a travel adaptor thrown in for the charger.

4. kofa

kofa Active Member

-Return to Top-

UPDATE: I got an X-Pro1 in excellent condition and I'm in love again. This sensor has a quality that just didn't carry over to the X-Pro 2. I'm thinking of picking an extra one up just in case this one breaks.

5. adamjbonn

adamjbonn adambonn.com

-Return to Top-

Just out of pure boredom...

I renamed* some of my X-Pro2 RAF files to "X-Pro1" within the meta data and opened them in SilkyPix

I then set 'Astia' (a bit of a go too of mine) and exported them without editing (bar my default tiny amount of sharpening pre-set)

Wanna see? (so these are EXACTLY the same file pairs, but one of each pair has been renamed so that the editing software thinks its from an X-Pro1)

XPR21629.SP8.rfc.jpg
    X-Pro2

XPR21629 - Copy.SP8.rfc.jpg
    "X-Pro1" (sic)

XPR21642.SP8.rfc.jpg
    X-Pro2

XPR21642 - Copy.SP8.rfc.jpg
    "X-Pro1" (sic)

Now I've spent a fair bit of time going through old (I no longer own one) X-Pro1 files (grrrr to you @kofa lol :D)

and PLEASE don't get me wrong - these exif modified x-pro2 files are not close** to real XP1 ones

But for sure they're a LITTLE bit different out of box than the unmodified XP2 exif data files

Interestingly SilkyPix seems to take them at face value... the renamed files lose the options for classic chrome and Acros in the film sims drop down (and yes folks - if you rename X-Pro1 exif to say X-Pro2 you gain the options for CC and Acros, and NO it won't be the same as real CC and Acros - but it's another option if you need it)

But I had some fun....

Ironically, RE the OP - these "X-Pro1" hack files have more red (and yellow and cyan) in them to my eye!! (The irony being that the X-Pro2 complaint was that skin looked too red)

I doubt this helps anyone, but it sure beat doing those chores I had earmarked for this afternoon :D

That said, someone who's more knowledgeable and adroit than me (not difficult) with this sort of thing could possibly create something a little special and unique....

*I spent like 45mins trying and failing to use the exiftool CMD thingamy to achieve this, gave up - then realised you can do it (en masse if you want) within windows - total facepalm moment :D

**I would imagine that as far as the raw editor is concerned there's a LOT more going on in the meta data than what camera model was used, WB values for one (which IME are always higher with AWB from the XP1) and other data that I don't pretend to understand

AdrianG likes this.
  6. jecottrell

jecottrell Member

-Return to Top-

Can you post a shot from each that shows the difference you've found? I need to know if I have to have a X-Pro1 :)

7. jonathan7007

jonathan7007 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I got an xp1 to tide me over while the XPro2 had teething problems. I now have the XPro2 and consider selling the 1... Never quite happens. I did like it albeit frustrating when I need responsive hardware. I'll have to do some side-by-side to compare color.
    That Fuji Vs Fuji article was scary. Red channel result for their test was radioactive soup.

8. kofa

kofa Active Member

-Return to Top-

Unfortunately, I no longer have XP2 to do a side by side comparison, but I am thrilled w the XP1 images.

Grabbed a few shots of my friend and his 3 month old son. Only slight exposure adjustments made. Skin tones and everything came out just as it should.

[​IMG]

Peter H and johant like this.
  9. jonathan7007

jonathan7007 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I will do that comparison with my two copies of these models. That's what I wrote. Those comparisons posted by Adam were telling. I know they are just made-up comparisons by way of changed metadata. But they show how different the demosaicing software coders thought the basic RAW file would be.

10. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I still find that I like all the different versions of the X-trans sensor, and I like my Bayer sensors too, and I like all the different kinds of film. Each is great at making some sort of image. I like variety and find that working with only one sensor or only one film soon grows monotonous. My X-Pro1 is still one of my very favorites, but for some images the XE2 works better, or my Pentax, or Portra 160, or whatever.

11. kofa

kofa Active Member

-Return to Top-

I hear you on this.. I primarily shoot video and I love creating different looks depending on the client and direction of the shoot.

But for photography, I love being able to shoot and have the image be exactly as I imagined. It's why I specifically shoot fuji, or else anything else would do.

12. blacksheep

blacksheep Member

-Return to Top-

New bodies are still out there. Just have to look.

13. blacksheep

blacksheep Member

-Return to Top-

Hooray!

14. mikEm13

mikEm13 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have had a look and an unable to find one do you have any place in mind I can locate one? Thanks.

15. blacksheep

blacksheep Member

-Return to Top-

I saw new bodies on Amazon from third party sellers (US). Plus if you live in the states you can check KEH, Roberts or Camera West for used bodies in excellent condition.

16. Threaded

Threaded Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Both digitalrev and e-finity (Hong Kong online stores) have them.

17. mikEm13

mikEm13 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you I will have a look.