This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Help! Best Fuji lense for handheld video

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by Thomas Christensen, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Thomas Christensen

Thomas Christensen New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Fuji guys,

Just to make it short, I am quite new to Fuji and my current setup is a X-T2 with the 18-55mm F2.8-4 and a 23mm F2.

I have now been looking for some time for a good or hopefully the best lense for video. The type of video I am doing is mostly just handheld video, not running gun but handheld when standing still and walking slowly. I have not really been able to find out what to get. A lot of people are recommending the 18-55 2.8-4 but I don’t really like that lense because of the image quality and the variable aperture makes it very bad for video. The 23mm F2 I have is actually damn good and it feels super steady for video, but some times I miss the zoom functionality. I have been looking at the 16-55 F2.8 with the red badge as a sign of Fuji’s Pro lense line up but I can see that it is not OIS and I don’t have that much experience with lenses so I hope someone in here can help me in the right direction. Maybe OIS doesn’t make that much of a difference on wide zooms, I mean I can’t really feel that my prime dosent have it?

Fujifilm X-T2 is absolutely amzing for video work and doing video with primes is no big deal, but having a great zoom would be ideal in most cases.

Thank you all in advance.

//Thomas

Zuri likes this.
  2. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am not much of a video shooter, but if you can get along without OIS I would fool around with some adapted manual focus lenses. Minolta is a good inexpensive place to start.

3. Fujicronippon

Fujicronippon Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Thomas,

I am in a similar boat to yours, except I haven't invested in the Fuji ecosystem yet - so I don't have an XT-2. I am as interested in the system for video as well as for stills. I have some micro 4/3, but I want a larger sensor and I think Fuji's got the right size compromise going on (they remind me of Apple about 10 years ago). So that's my story.

In any case, I plan on picking up the 16-55mm and an XT-2S next year with IBIS. That lens is better corner to corner, faster to focus, weather resistant, and has continuous aperture. Check out this video:

But, if I already had an XT-2, I'd spend $300 on eBay in the meantime to pick up the 18-55 since it has IS in the lens. Since we date the bodies but marry the glass, I'd wait to see what the XT-2S is packing for video - but I bet it'll have higher bit-rate 4K, IBIS, higher FPS, with better color options like internal F-Log (and possibly 4:2:2 internal) and then you can invest in expensive glass knowing how well the stabilization will or won't be. We'll know within a year.

4. Thomas Christensen

-Return to Top-

Hi,

And thank you for your reply, I know IBIS is great but not always nessecary, I was kind of having the same thoughts as you 4 month ago but decided to just get married to the Fuji body and glass now since for me it was very needed. I have done a lot of video work using the 18-55mm 2.8-4 which was okay except the IQ, then I got the 23mm F2 and it produces absolutely amazing video with lots of shallow depth of field and for some reason it is super steady, you can almost run around and still the footage does not get too shaky. With that said I think the X-T2 really great for video and you are able to get super steady video handheld. What I need is just a great zoom lense and I am not sure if the 16-55 F2.8 without OIS is able to produce the same steady footage for me like my 23 F2 does or which lense I else should look at.

//Thomas

5. Fujicronippon

Fujicronippon Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting regarding the 23 F2 and lack of shake. It's gotta be a result of the focal length and sensor size.

This 23mm F2 footage looks incredible, but is stabilized with a Ronin-M:

This 16mm 1.4 4k footage looks pretty stable for hand held and in motion, but once he gets too close to the subject the wide angle distortion isn't too flattering:

To be honest, this 90mm F2 footage (hand held) looks pretty stable all things considered:

Obviously the wider the better for stable footage and camera shake, so I doubt any focal length in a zoom will perform as well at greater apertures as your 23mm F2 without IS.

Maybe this video will help:

6. Thomas Christensen

-Return to Top-

Hi,

Thank you for the information.

As I see it, there are really only two options when it comes to zoom lenses if you are serious about video and that is the 16-55 F2.8 Res badge and the 50-140 F2.8 Red badge and a new upcoming wide angle zoom red badge. I am sure the 50-140 is perfect for video and it has OIS but it could be really interesting if someone that actually owns the 16-55 can share his experience from doing handheld video, maybe it’s stable enough for for handheld video when standing still and only walking slowly around. Usually walk shoot walk shoot pan etc. works great with primes that does not have OIS but this 16-55 is a very front heavie lense and maybe it is hard to stabilize by hand. If someone that owns the lense could say, it’s never gonna work without a tripod or it’s perfect as long as you don’t run and jump then it would be a lot easier to make the decision :) damn I hope someone owns it.

//Thomas

7. Fujicronippon

Fujicronippon Member

-Return to Top-

Oops, that's meant to read that "I doubt any focal length in a zoom will perform as well at *longer focal lengths* as your 23mm F2 - without IS.

Yeah, I'd like to hear from someone who has some first hand experience with the 16-55mm for video as well.

I don't need it until an upcoming project next spring, but since I fully expect a XT-2S to be released around then with IBIS, I plan on picking up a 16-55mm this holiday season or whenever Fuji's next sale is...

Have you thought about sticking with primes for standard shooting, and picking up the 50-140mm for your telephoto needs? Also, based upon how you like to shoot, I'd say the added weight of the 16-55 would add stability (and it is supposed to balance well with the vertical grip).

Thomas Christensen likes this.
  8. Thomas Christensen

-Return to Top-

Yes deffenetly,

I cannot aford buying both right now, so I am just trying to make the right decision on getting the right one first, if both are the right once’s.

An option could be to use the 23, 35, 50 F2 for handheld and then compensate with the 50-140 F2.8 for video zoom. Actually I think that would deliver the absolute best quality and stability.

And again the 16-55 F2.8 would be awesome if it just works, i think it fits in a ONA Bowery and you would not have to change lense so often but if it is away to shaky then it would be worthless until the X-T2S comes which could be my second handheld cam and the the X-T2 could live permanent on a mono/tripod. :)

Why do I not have triple income :) at least I know I love Fuji and my X-T2 + 23mm F2 makes me more than happy for quality of hardware and IQ on video every time I review my footage so that’s good for now. I think my decision comes down to wether I should take the chance on the 16-55 or go the safe route and buy the beast 50-140.

Let’s hope someone owns the 16-55 and wants to share real life handheld video experience, have have watched everything I could find on YouTube but there is not much that could help.

Fujicronippon likes this.
  9. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

No one but you know how steady your hands are when shooting video. Why not rent the 16-55 and try it yourself?

10. otsws

otsws Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 18-55 is the best handheld lens for video, even so though, steady hands will also help with an OIS lens.
    Variable apature, don't worry about it, you can't zoom with the lenses anyway so, zoom in focus adjust ISO or F-stop, this is vey easy to do.

Good Shooting.

Simon

11. Thomas Christensen

-Return to Top-

Hi,

I have done a ton of testing with that lens and I could never use it for any video.

12. isaacinsoll

isaacinsoll New Member

-Return to Top-

Why?

13. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The lenses I find most useful for video are the 50-140mm f/2.8 Fuji, 16-55mm f/2.8 Fuji, and 12mm f/2 Rokinon. However, I rarely shoot my Fuji handheld. I usually use a tripod or a monopod. For my handheld, I prefer to use a micro 4/3 with in-body image stabilization.

Zuri and Thomas Christensen like this.
  14. Thomas Christensen

-Return to Top-

The lens is defiantly not for video it is a kit lens with a variable aperture that changes when you are zooming so that would affect your video. You can't really use MF because you have to turn and turn and turn and only very little happens. When you use AF it is a little noisy in continuous auto focus and it sounds like it is really struggling to keep up with even simple tasks. Then the worst thing is the IQ on video, it is really bad when I compare it to the quality that I get from my 23mm F2 and that is especially the reason for why I don't want to use it for video.

15. Zuri

Zuri New Member

-Return to Top-

I use the 23/1.4 for video. With an external mic the auto-focus noise isn't there. Plus I love the shallow DOF I'm getting with this lens on videos. Plus half the ISO of 23mm f2 when shooting at f1.4.
    I take videos handheld until IBIS will come to Fuji. It's not too shaky to be honest at 23mm.
    If going manual this lens is even more cool.

And I join the anti 18-55mm voice here. The OIS is crap on video and the quality is sh*t.

16. Thomas Christensen

-Return to Top-

Hi Narsuitus,

So you have both of the lenses with the red badge?

If you are just standing still and shooting video with the XF 16-55 F2.8, panning and moving slowly is it hard to get steady footage? Can you really feel that this lens does not have OIS or is the focal length so short that it is not really needed? What is your experience?

If I am about to get one of these two lenses for my video work which one would you recommend for my X-T2?

//Thomas

17. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Since I am not usually handholding with my 16-55 or 50-140, I have no problem obtaining steady footage while panning. Plus, when shooting with 50-140, I turn the OIS off when on tripod but turn it on when shooting with monopod. I do more handholding with my 12mm and have no problem obtaining steady footage while panning.

18. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It is difficult for me to make a recommendation because I have never used the X-T2 and I have no idea what subjects you are shooting.

In my case, I purchased my Fuji cameras with prime lenses for still shooting. The only reason I purchased the 50-140mm f/2.8 zoom lens was because I needed a long lens and at the time, Fuji did not make a fast prime telephoto lens. I was so pleased with the performance of the 50-140mm for still shooting that I also purchased the 16-55mm and expanded to shooting wedding video and theatre video.

Please login or register to view links

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

19. Thomas Christensen

-Return to Top-

Thank you very much for sharing this information with all of us!

20. Fujicronippon

Fujicronippon Member

-Return to Top-

I'd love a 23mm 1.4 but I hear the autofocus is pretty loud as demonstrated in the video above. By an external microphone do you mean a lavalier or totally separate XLR setup through an external recording device, or on external on camera like a Rode VideoMic? I am very curious what the 23mm and 35mm 1.4 lenses sound like while autofocusing with a Rode Videomic or similar on camera external setup...

Thanks!