This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Godox X1T-F : zoom head is not managed

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by sandrogsp, Mar 13, 2018.

1. sandrogsp

sandrogsp Member

-Return to Top-

I have a Godox TT685F which is rather clumsy to set-up, but seems to be working very well.
    When mounted on the camera hot-shoe the zoom head works , as i can hear the flash humming when I turn the lens zoom wheel.
    But ... when I use the X1T-f transmitter, the flash zoom head seems to be inactive. I.E. : I don't hear any humming.
    Digging a bit into the X1-F manual, it looks like it should work, because the manual states:
    "Note: To set ZOOM functions, please open the ZOOM functions on the camera flash"
    No way : the zoom is enabled inside the camera flash settings, but t's not transmitted by the godox trigger.

Am I overlooking something ? Any suggestion ?

2. inkista

inkista Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You're not overlooking anything; but I think the documentation's wrong and probably mistranslated/misinterpreted. AFAIK, unless you shoot Canon (since most of this Chinese gear is reverse-engineered off Canon tech), there's no two-way communication between camera menus for flash control and Godox flashes. I think what they're saying is you can set the zoom directly/manually on the flash, not via the camera menus.

Also, the X1T's control over zoom of remote flashes is limited. You have to use C.Fn-02 to set the zoom setting, and that single zoom setting is universal for all the off-camera flashes. The Xpro gives you better control/UI for zooming by group, but this will only work with the TTL speedlights (TT350, TT685, V860II), and only if the zoom is set to Auto on the flash itself (eyeroll); you may want to try that with the X1T. Remote zoom control is one area where Yongnuo has Godox beat.

3. sandrogsp

sandrogsp Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, with the C.Fn-02 I can force the zoom setting I want, but apparantly there isn's any "Ttl auto" option.
    C.Fn-02 can set the zoom, but only as off,16,23, and so on. No auto-ttl option .
    Pity. I bought the X1T quite recently and I'm quite pi**ed off thinking I need to pull out some money to change it.
    Anyway : are you sure the new Xpro communicates better and sends the zoom informations to the flash ? Do you have one to check ?

4. inkista

inkista Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No. I meant that you put the flash's zoom setting to "Auto" and then you can push the setting from the transmitter.

Yes. I have an XProF and a TT685C. I can set the zoom on the TT685C by group with the XProF (and my XProC). Unfortunately, my other speedlights are TT600s, which cannot have their zoom controlled, because the zoom on the speedlight cannot be set to Auto (it's a single-pin manual-only flash and therefore can't get zoom settings from the camera).

From Please login or register to view links, on the left, is the zoom and modeling light control menu. On the right is the C.Fn menu.

[​IMG]

The other big usability difference with the XProF is that the C.Fn menu now names both the functions and their values. Close mode is done with a DIST C.Fn, not some arcane power-on button combo. :)

While I can't completely confirm that the actual setting is set on the flash (the TT685C has to be set to Auto zoom for the zoom changes to work), I hear/see the head moving back and forth and the positions look correct as near as I can guess.