This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Godox TT350F - so far so good!

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by Carolyn, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Solo with others

Solo with others Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I shoot interiors from time to time with Yongnuo wireless setup. I'm curious what advantage this Godox setup would have. I've never wished for TTL or HSS in those situations and enjoy the manual control of the strobes over wireless. My TT350 arrives today but I only intended it for filling in bright sunlight or run and gun event shooting. Is there another advantage this unit will have for shooting interiors?

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lithium batteries. I don't have to charge my batteries until the weekend after shooting all week. Younuos needed to be changed at minimum before each shoot, sometimes mid shoot.

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, updated the ad200 before the 350 arrived. I'll try the separate groups tomorrow.

I have the 350 set as M. The ad200 on B. I'm on B making adjustments. How do you set M to off? Hate when I can't figure out these things.

4. Carolyn

Carolyn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes! You missed my post in this - lol. I am so not a PC fan.

5. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When you are in "M", just press the mode button. It will cycle through TTL, M(anual), Multi, Off. The "Off" looks like lightning bolt with a circle and slash mark. Now "B" will fire as you have it set and M (the speedlite) will not fire.

EB

Carolyn likes this.
  6. Zuri

Zuri New Member

-Return to Top-

Would this work with the 90mm f2?

7. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yep, this is the way to do it Carolyn...and I bet it's what has you confused. Set Master mode with the flash off symbol and then set the AD200s to whatever group you wish. On the TT350 you can then select each group - A, B or C individually, and control the AD200s remotely (including switching a group to 'no fire' also). Outside of this I am stumped as to what the issue could be. Hope it works for you. :)

8. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Carolyn, my post, in which I somehow quoted your lithium battery comment, was obviously meant to answer you question re: having the TT350 not fire. Peter Delaney then added and clarified my post. Without meaning to be patronizing, let me add one more thing. You choose the M(aster), A, B, and C groups by multiple presses on the Slave button. Once on M(aster) or other, then use the Mode button to choose TTL, M(anual), Multi, OFF.

There are enough things lettered "M" to make things quite confusing.

EB

jknights and Carolyn like this.
  9. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

How do you mean? The lighting is lens independent.

EB

10. Zuri

Zuri New Member

-Return to Top-

I meant would this flash is strong enough for the 90mm f2 due to it's focus length? Or does it even support 135mm eqv FL?

11. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For the TT350, for head shots, most probably. If you're backing far enough away to get full length shots, I'd GUESS not. The AD200 gives you about the same power as 2 1/2 full sized speedlites, so you SHOULDN'T have an issue with the 90mm. Double check my comments.

EB

12. hyh

hyh GoldMember

-Return to Top-

Focal length coverage for TT350 is from 16mm to 79mm in XF numbers (or 24mm to 105mm in full frame). Thus when 90mm/2 is used, some of the light will go off-frame even at max zoom (although some light will go off-frame even when a wide angle lens is used technically speaking) - i.e. there will be some light loss. However, compensation should be possible by manually bumping up ISO, etc. Strong enough depends on how the flash is used.

Whether TTL would function with 90mm/2, I wouldn't know as I have never used TTL with any lens - never mind with 90mm/2. Maybe someone else can say something.

13. Carolyn

Carolyn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That worked! I knew it was something simple. Thank you for explaining.

trainer likes this.
  14. Osa713

Osa713 Member

-Return to Top-

Ordered mine and I can't wait to test it out, this will be perfect for my needs!

15. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a TT350F and an AD200. The menus of the TT350F are something to get used to but once you have figured it out it works really well. TTL, HSS work seamlessly.

16. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I used the TT350F (not in master mode) on my X100T at a camera club picnic yesterday afternoon/evening. The results were terrific. Small, light weight, with enough power to allow me to reduce the ambient light and properly light the subjects. I was not trying to overpower the sun, as we had open shade, and this was a picnic, not a portrait session. Still, a slightly darker/underexposed background was great.

With the X100T's leaf shutter, the TT350F did not automatically go into HSS, as it is unneeded with a leaf shutter. The exposures were spot on, and flash compensation in TTL was perfect.

I also learned a few things in preparing to shoot. The shutter speed indicator can seem to be flaky in the VF. Make sure the speedlite is properly inserted AND tightened; also you can get flaky SS display when the speedlite is not fully set to fire. Once the red light comes on, all is well. It is also flaky if on the camera, not in Master mode, but turned off.

After I learned these few oddities re: SS indication, all went perfectly.

EB

trainer likes this.
  17. Osa713

Osa713 Member

-Return to Top-

Mine came today, setting up the master mode and controlling the ad200 took some patience but I figured it out.

Cycling thru modes you can adjust the out power of the speed light or turn it off completely.<commander only>

Cycling thru the groups/CH(A, B,C)you can control the output of your slave(ad200, evolv 600, etc)

The part that confused me is when I cycled thru modes and turned the speed light to no flash output I couldn't adjust the ad200 but it would still fire. When I cycled thru modes again and adjusted the power of the speed light the ad200 would fire again but I still couldn't adjust its power.
    That's when you need to bounce back to the groups to adjust the power of your slave.

jknights likes this.
  18. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Osa, I might not fully understand your last couple of sentences accurately, but if you are having issues, I suggest that you don't use the "commander" setting to keep the speedlite from firing. Just control the tt350 light output, by using the slave button to choose (M)aster, and turn off the flash in "M" by using the mode button to cycle to OFF, the lighting bolt with crossed out symbol.

EB

jknights likes this.
  19. Osa713

Osa713 Member

-Return to Top-

That's exactly what I did,I figured everything out already before the post. I typed the last part in case anyone else had the same issue. I just think my last paragraph was unclear lol.

20. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

My TT350-F arrived.
    Been testing it with the AD600 and it is great.
    Still cant work out if it is possible to switch off the flash ouput and still get it to control the AD600.

I also need to test the HSS mode but I am sure it will work.

Carolyn likes this.