This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji X100F

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by Mike Gorman, May 7, 2017.

1. Shuffles

Shuffles Member

-Return to Top-

I love my X100F, but it is true that with glasses on it may be a little harder to see all the edges of the VF. So, I generally shoot without my reading glasses and adjust the diopter to my vision. Overall, I'd say the X100F's VF (both OVF and EVF) is excellent.

I do wish we could change the color of the overlay on the OVF, though. Sometimes the white info can get lost inside a bright subject.

Solo with others and Mike Gorman like this.
  2. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

3. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

:D:(
    I guess you need to go into London for best choice.

4. Mike Gorman

-Return to Top-

JK you are quite right, by the way the Uxbridge Jessops was very small, and if it wasn't made by Nikon or Canon they didn't stock it!

5. Mike Gorman

-Return to Top-

I still maintain that the VF of the X100F spoils what is indeed a cracking little camera, and I don't understand why, if Fuji can get the X-T1/2 right surely its not too much to ask for the same in an RF camera?

And even Leica have recognised that and are boasting of an improved VF in the M10!

6. Brierfield

Brierfield New Member

-Return to Top-

I tried an XPro-1 a year ago, and I could not use the OVF because of my astigmatism. If you also have astigmatism this could be the problem with the X100F. I have an XE-2 and it's VF is MUCH easier for me to see. I believe the XE-2 has a 23MM eye point compared to the 14MM of the XP-1? This makes a HUGE difference for someone with my glasses prescription. I believe the X100F has an eye point of ~15MM?

7. khunfred61

khunfred61 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Mmmm...X100F has a dioptric correction so I believe 99% of people with glasses can adapt to it. Maybe there is a 1% of people who can't but in that case they can't with any camera. Maybe the member evokes the 92% only coverage but when I need 100%, I switch to EVF.

jknights likes this.
  8. jmr

jmr New Member

-Return to Top-

I wear glasses and I have an X100F and a Leica M.

The eye relief on the Fuji is much better than the M. I've also tried the new M10, and although improved, it's still not as easy to see the framelines for the 35mm as it is on the Fuji.

9. double00

double00 Member

-Return to Top-

Here is a comparison of Fujifilm cameras and their various viewfinder specs

Camera Eyepoint (mm) EVF Size EVF Magnification
    X-Pro2 16 .48" .59x
    X-Pro1 14 .47" .6x
    X100T 15 .48" .65x
    X-T10 17.5 .39" .62x
    X-E2 23 .5" .64x
    X-T1 23 .5" .77

10. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I think this is fair comment but I do wonder if the dioptre adjustment for the Fujis needs to be enlarged to +/- 5 diopters rather than the more limited +2 /-4 diopters in the X-T2, or +1 /-2 for the X100.
    I dont know what the X100F offers.

11. khunfred61

khunfred61 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Same as X100.

12. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree with the point made by the OP. I bought the X100F, having had the X100S, and having tried the X100T in Jessops. I found the viewfinder on both to be acceptable, whilst wearing my specs, and I assumed that the X100F would have a similar eyepoint. When I received it, it did not; something had been altered, even though the specifications are similar on paper. I therefore bought the X-Pro2, and it is better.

Another post above also mentions adjusting the dioptre, and that the dioptres on both the X100F and the X-Pro2 are the same; they are not, as the X-Pro2 allows for a minus 4 to plus 2 adjustment, whilst the X100F allows minus 2 to plus 2. I can therefore use the X-Pro2 with or without my specs, and I prefer without, whereas I'd have to use the X100F with my specs, and lose some of the viewfinder.

So, in my opinion, the OP is spot on! But, there are so many factors involved that it is not possible for a definitive statement to be made in relation to the experience, as some have sought to do, above.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  13. bophoto

bophoto Active Member

-Return to Top-

While it's true that the X100F has better eye relief and is a better finder in general compared to the X-Pro2, it's still nowhere near as comfortable to use and as easy to see "the entire picture" as with the X-T2/X-T1 viewfinder in "normal" mode for people using glasses, and specifically glasses that might stick a bit out from your face, or, if that person has deep eye sockets.

Also, the X100F is usable with polarized sunglasses. You can still see the frame-lines and info overlay. The X-Pro2 doesn't work well with polarized sunglasses at all. The X-T2 and X-T1 uses OLED displays, so they are perfectly fine with polarized sunglasses.

14. bophoto

bophoto Active Member

-Return to Top-

That's got nothing to do with eyerelief. It's simply because the Leica M has a MUCH higher magnification ratio. Try looking through the Leica VF and X100F side-by-side. The world (or scene) is A LOT smaller in the X100F viewfinder than in the Leica. The Leica VF almost maintains real life size, whereas the X100F VF zooms things out (thus makes things smaller) by A LOT.

This is what makes it more difficult to see the 35mm framelines on a Leica M, not the eye-relief.

15. Solo with others

Solo with others Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Not all designs work for everyone. This one happens to work for me and not for you. Life is a buffet. Feel free to make your choices and try not to take away from the choices of others.

CWRailman likes this.
  16. jmr

jmr New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you, you are of course correct.

What I was trying to get across was simply that I find it easier to see the framelines with my glasses on using the X100F than I do with the M.

17. dpt2014

dpt2014 Dr. J

-Return to Top-

Good thing no one is forcing you to buy the camera, eh?

Not every camera is meant for every person for one reason or another. Life will go on.

18. sccjim

sccjim New Member

-Return to Top-

I have the X100F, wear glasses and can see all of the viewfinder, both OVF and EVF.