This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji 100 - 400

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Alexc, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Alexc

Alexc Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I am renting a Fuji XF 100 - 400 for BIF for 2 days here in Ontario, Can. I do not have a battery grip, nor the store rent one. What are the best settings on a XT2 as I will not have much time fiddling with settings. Any suggestions? I read all about the goods stuff but I want to see for myself. I am familiar with BIF using Canons.

2. Bisonbison

Bisonbison New Member

-Return to Top-

- AF-C
    - Zone AF with grid size and location depending on the size of the birds (select and position the af area by pressing the joystick and increase or decrease size using rear thumb dial).
    - AF-C custom setting - this video goes through the options quickly and fairly well

- Drive mode CH Continuous High (sub-dial on top left).

I shoot in manual mode with aperture usually wide open and as fasts shutter speed as I can manage. I’m trying out Auto ISO but haven’t used it much. But it should make things faster.

Important - You should also get a couple of spare batteries and use boost mode.

Good luck!

Fujiphotog likes this.
  3. Bisonbison

Bisonbison New Member

-Return to Top-

Oh and check to make sure the body firmware is on the latest version. This will make a big difference.
    I also used to add a long tripod plate to the lens when using without a grip. It felt more stable in my hands but YMMV.

4. Jelster

Jelster Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

You want the Continuous Focus on "situation 2" (I think that's what they call it). I have found, for BIF images, the 2nd setting works best for me. I don't use it with the 1.4TC for BIF as I don't think it focuses quickly enough.

5. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

I use the Auto ISO set to a maximum of 6400, shutter between 1/1000 and 1/2000. Then the f stop is either wide open or closed one stop.

6. dpm321

dpm321 Member

-Return to Top-

Excuse my ignorance, but what is BIF? Thanks.

7. Charzes44

Charzes44 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Birds In Flight!

8. dpm321

dpm321 Member

-Return to Top-

Ahhhhh....thank you.

9. John Dillworth

John Dillworth Member

-Return to Top-

All of the above. When using zone AF I set the camera to spot metering. Honestly I don't think it makes much difference. I wish the camera would expose for one of the focus points. Don't have the camera with me but in he focus setting I prefer to change the setting for AF-c to shoot on "focus" as opposed to "release" . Sorry, forget the exact setting name. Take a few photos.....zoom in on the back and consider if you might wnat to over expose by a stop. Sometimes the metering gives too much consideration to a brighter sky. Birds are easily back-lit so RAW is your friend here

10. lifesshort

lifesshort Active Member

-Return to Top-

I don't shoot BIF, so I may be talking about something I know nothing about. (This happens way too often!) Anyway, with the X-T20 you can link your exposure to your focus point if you set photometry to "Spot." I'm sure that if the X-T20 has this capability, the X-T2 does, also. I would think that this setting may help with properly exposing the birds, but like I said, I may be talking about something I know nothing about!