This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

From the Family Photo Archives

Discussion in 'General Photography Discussion' started by runswithsizzers, Feb 12, 2018.

1. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Jamie Allen's post "Please login or register to view links" got me to thinking about my own family photo project - a self-published book - which included a couple of images I've been meaning to post.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two above were scanned from Polaroid prints taken by my father in 1959-1960. The first one is of my mother in her kitchen, and the second one is of my sisters. I warmed them a little in hue (the second one, too much), but I tried to avoid messing with the wonderful range of tones present in the prints. I'm not sure which exact model of Polaroid my father had, but it looked just like <Please login or register to view links>.

When looking at our family photos it's hard for me to be objective. Feelings for family members and nostalgia for the past overpower my ability to decide if an image has something that might be of more general interest to strangers. But I believe my father has a good eye, and there is something about these Polaroids which excites me as a photographer.

If there is interest in this kind of photography, I can put up a few more. And I'd love to see other family photos which may rise a bit above the average family snapshot level.

2. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think that would be a fun thread,,,good idea. Those two photos are really great. Your mom made me think of Audrey Hepburn.

3. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

Well, you don't usually think about your mother's looks - at least I didn't, until about the 5th grade. Mom came to the classroom for some reason, and after she left all the other kids said "Wow, is that your mother? She looks like a movie star!" Her sister did some modeling, but mom was the better looking of the two. Here is another Polaroid from 1959:

[​IMG]

4. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I bet you ran with those sizzers. Beautiful photo once again. Can we add ours to this thread or start another thread?

runswithsizzers likes this.
  5. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

Please feel free to add to this one.

6. Tom239

Tom239 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for opening up the thread!

Mid 1960s. I'm the shortest person in the scene. This was at the reception after a cousin of mine's wedding, the first wedding I ever went to. My dad is next to me with the Polaroid.

[​IMG]

7. minor7flat5

minor7flat5 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Pretty cool. I saw the first photograph and thought "Wow, that photographer has made a pretty nice Fujifilm B&W shot that looks straight out of 1958"
    And then I looked down and saw that it's a real photo from that era and I was only a year off.

Thanks for posting these!

8. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Those are very nice!

9. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think I may have posted this before. This is mom about 1956 on Daytona Beach. Many things in this photo that I like...wearing dad's coat, the wind, the new Ford, bobby socks, the Kodak Brownie..etc...
    [​IMG]

dobarran, leoda1945, F2Bthere and 4 others like this.
  10. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Health and safety .... pah!

I'm the little one on the front .... about seventy years ago :eek:

[​IMG]

East coat of Yorkshire, probably Skegness ...

leoda1945, F2Bthere and trainer like this.
  11. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is going to be a fabulous thread, and thanks to the two guys who got it started.
    This picture shows my mom and dad in 1944. (Today, I have a few grandkids the age my folks are here.)
    Dad is looking like the dude he was (on leave from the service) and mom has this big grin on her face.
    I was born exactly 9 months from this picture :)
    [​IMG]
    I'm gonna cry in a f##### minute.

12. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

[​IMG]

My maternal great-grandmother and four of her eight daughters. The family was dirt poor, but the girls could all sew, so they dressed above their class. But with few exceptions, they were unlucky in love. The child in this photo, my cousin, put it this way:
    "All of us kids, we just had a kind of a hard life — all of my aunts husbands left them with a house full of kids. No money, no food. Whoever had a couple of mouths-full extra, that's where I was sent to stay. Aunt Doris married a — uh, I don't know what you'd call him, Uncle Oscar. He made moonshine and raised coon dogs. He'd go out hunting, and that's just about what we lived on when we stayed with Aunt Doris. I stayed with them for quite a while. Uncle Oscar always insisted on living in some little old dinky shack with a dirt floor. He never did work, not a day in his life. They just existed on what he could catch with his coon hounds and grow in his garden."

"There was this old chicken coop, at that time my mother still lived there before I was born. I was born in that chicken coop. I lived there until I was five. I remember, back then, you just had to work. I remember helping grandma plant the garden and harvest the garden. Grandma would barter; we had vegetables and some neighbors had some fruit trees, so she would barter, and we would can peaches and pears and apples, and of course, the vegetables. It just seemed like we never got done with work. I remember grandpa had made me a little stool that was tall enough for me to get up and help grandma make biscuits, big pans of biscuits. She always had me shelling peas and stringing green beans. And we had to can. We canned everything we ate, and had to get up at 4 o'clock in the morning."

"Draw water up out of an old well and we built a fire and heated up a big old pot of water, and washed the clothes outside on a washboard and hang them on a line. And when it was time we would drag the feather beds outside and beat them. We never had Christmas. We didn't know what Christmas was, or Thanksgiving or anything like that. We had no holidays; just work, lots of work. Didn't dare complain or you wouldn't be able to sit down for several days. This was back when I was five years old."

The old woman, my mother's grandmother, died at age 58.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  13. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My paternal family around 1916, the young man at the back is my dad, he died 1959 when I was 13. The little boy is my uncle Bill. The photo is I believe taken just before my dad enlisted to fight in the First World War!

AC5ECB37-79A9-4515-8CFD-D0CED7890D4B.jpeg

14. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

You guys are going to have me looking through old boxes under the stairs soon.

15. Tim Foster

Tim Foster Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My Dad on the right and uncle in the middle. Circa 1944 at their homestead in Dap, Alberta. Northern Pike was the catch of the day.[​IMG]

16. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

[​IMG]

William Jasper Lemons (1848-1913) and Irena Sultana Hildebrand (1847-1914) were my father's great-grandparents. The story is that Irena wanted the bird in the portrait, but William refused to be photographed with a bird. It is said the photographer had to combine two individual portraits to make this one.

leoda1945, Micky, Tim Foster and 2 others like this.
  17. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

[​IMG]
    A little backstory on this photo. THis is my brother and me photographed in 1951 by Robideau Studios of Malone, NY. I am on the right. The photographer that made this photo was 3rd generation in the business. The studio open in Malone in the 1880s. Around the late 1980s or early 1990s I was traveling through Malone when I spied the studio. I stopped in to pay a visit. A very small, elderly man greeted me. It was Mr. Robideau. We chatted for a while and he offered to show me his studio. We climbed stairs to the 3rd floor and entered his studio. It was amazing. I had entered a time machine. The ceiling and north wall were all glass panes. That was how sudios where made in the 1800s for using available light. A large background was set up in the corner and in the middle of the floor was a large format Kodak 8x10 or 11x14 with a 5x7 reducing back. It was mounted on a larger stand with wrought iron supports and various cranks and gears. On it was mounted a very old brass lens. He was still shooting his studio portraits with that setup. THe above photo was made with that setup. His wife did the hand coloring and as you can see I think he may have married her just for her talent with the brush! I told him that he had photographed me years before and he said that he would still have the negative on file. I've seen a lot of his work and I consider him one of the unfound masters. Robideau Studios photographed the people of upstate NY near the Canadian border for generations. He died and no one took over the business and his trove of negatives went to the Franklin County Historical Society.

This photo is a 5x7 contact print.

I used to be really cute.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  18. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Curious, what is the process you are using to be able to download these old pictures?

19. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

Not sure what you mean by "download" ?
    As owner of the files (digitized scans of the old prints), I have two options:

I can upload a file from my computer to the forum, or ..

since I already have many of my photos uploaded to my SmugMug website, I can link to my SmugMug image which causes the photo to be displayed here on the forum.​

Does that answer your question, or are you asking about something else?

20. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Images were being "Photoshoped" long before Photoshop...

leoda1945 likes this.