This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

From classic X100 to X100F

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by DragonEye, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Of course the x100f isn't designed for sports or action. However, it is a great people/moment camera. If you like to be handicapped into an intentional "slow down/calm down" more power to you. Me, I would rather have a capable and performing camera that snaps the shots when the moment happens.

When I'm photographing kids running on the beach and jumping, it's nice to have close to the afs capabilities of the X-T2. We all use the tools we need. I need a performing camera. I can slow down with the x100f too, but I can't go fast with the x100 or my old x100s. The x100f gives me much more options of capturing images than the x100s so if there is a perceived difference in image aesthetics doesn't much matter if the camera can't get the shot anyway. I'm not a pixel peeper so I haven't seen a perceived difference anyway.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. Carolyn1250

Carolyn1250 New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you, gentlemen, for your thoughts and your time. I think I will save up and get the F!

I have a Canon 5d2 and 100-400mm for anything like sports and such. I do a LOT of eventing/horseback stuff for my family with that, also long range birds/nature.

I love the x100 for what I call the quieter moments, slices of life. I also am an artist, so use it quite a bit for photo references. I have taken some of the best impromptu candids/portraits with it. I have grown to love the slowing down also, but that said, it can be TOO fidley sometimes (especially when I took it to crazy, chaotic Colombia - although again, some magical shots); and I have missed some shots because of that. I don’t stress it too much because the ratio of keepers is so crazy high with that camera ... just really cool images, even those I have to admit are accidents.

But I would LOVE the bettered performance. I just wish the F also had increased battery life as that is probably my biggest complaint. And when it gives me the warning, I maybe get one last shot before it goes kaput. I also might miss the macro, I use that a lot ... but probably can figure ways around that.

Thanks again! How fun :)

3. drmcw

drmcw New Member

-Return to Top-

My battery warning on the X100 is as you describe but on the X100F I got plenty of warning so much so that I became suspicious :)

4. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

Beware of believing the calculator! The resolution is only √2 better - about 1.4 times.

5. fivesense

fivesense Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm here to be enabled by you enablers. The X100F fills a nice space in my bag. As was well put above, I want it for the every day "slices of life."

I think we often forget some of the most iconic photographs ever taken we captured with a fixed 35mm. They are often blurred, grainy and out of focus (unintentionally, not processed as such!). But they carry an amazing story and freeze frame important parts of our history.

Photography doesn't always have to be art. Sometimes it's just life. You get to decide which is which.

6. bralk

bralk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Same story here. Very pleased with the F (ast)

Trev likes this.
  7. rsn48

rsn48 Member

-Return to Top-

So do you need the increased megapixels? My story on how I learned to love the megapixel increase. So wind back time to 2004, there I sit contemplating my next camera purchase. At this time, many photographers were switching over to digital, the Medium Format (mf) industry was taking a big hit. I decided it was the perfect time to buy my first mf camera (film). But also within me was a small tickle, curious about digital. So at noon I drive to my favourite local photographer retailer, not a Big Box affair,in Courtney, British Columbia. I enter the store and tell the salesperson my intentions and he says great, he has a few - all on sale...lol. But then he says: "You know, Canon has come out with the first Digital SLR under a $1000 and the images are pretty impressive, and....it has 6 megapixels, all your really need." I talk about blowing up mf images and he shows me a poster that was enlarged from the Original Digital Rebel.

Thinking of that poster, better photographic knowledge and experience latter, I realize the photo is like a car going down a long very steep hill with a wind at its back and the sales person saying the vehicle is capable of top speeds over 100 mph, which isn't a lie given the right conditions. The poster was taken with camera on a tripod on a bright sunny day, taken without needing a crop. In other words, given the right conditions I too could have such a poster with the camera. The problem is that I crop, sometimes deeply, and as many know: the deeper the crop the poorer the image. And with a 6 meg camera/image, it didn't take much of a crop to deteriorate the ensuing picture.

So I waited for the Canon Rebel XSi, I purchased it because of its whopping 12 meg cropped sensor. I just knew cropping would hold up better with images from this camera and I was right.

For those that shoot birds and BIF's among other photographers cropping tightly, more pixels is helpful, extremely helpful. Can you imagine my joy if the Rebel XSi instead of 12 megs had been a 16 meg camera - be still my beating heart. And now the X 100F has 24 megapixels so I know this camera's images will sustain deep cuts.

And an extremely happy note to end on, just received notice my new X 100F is waiting for me at my local postal station.

Trev likes this.
  8. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Enjoy :)

9. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You'll love the X100F! The X-Trans RAW files require a completely different sharpening technique though.

10. rsn48

rsn48 Member

-Return to Top-

The battery is charging as I type.

11. JRick

JRick Member

-Return to Top-

re : "Photography doesn't always have to be art. Sometimes it's just life. You get to decide which is which."
    how true !

i'll prob catch a lotta flack for this, but i've been thinking about this a lot lately.....

if you want to capture "moments" you can do it extremely well with a cell phone IF you know how to get the most out of it, take the time to practice, and get a few quality apps for it. No need to spend hundreds or thousands on a "takealong" camera. invest in some quality add on lenses and you are approaching the same capabilities of the X100 series. today's cell phones have enough pixels to get good image quality. doing that has made me a better Nikon shooter.

you can capture moments or you can create images. neither is "better" than the other. but if you use a wedding photographer as an example of doing both, you will understand that you will probably need more than a cell phone to make the images good enough to sell to the client.

time and effort is what makes a good photographer; not the equipment they use. master the gear you have rather than buy something with more features. it's TOO easy with today's digital gear compared to the film era. tech talk is just that that...talk. it won't make you a better photographer. shooting thousands of frames WILL, but only if you spend equal time analysing the shots you took. if you don't understand WHY your shot came out the way it did, you will never improve and you will never learn the importance of light and how to manipulate it to create an image. even if you are just documenting life and capturing moments.

just a gut feeling, but i'm willing to bet people spend more time processing than analysing their shots. post processing might make the shot look better but in doing that they might fail to see why they needed to process it to get it looking good.

12. guzzi850m2

guzzi850m2 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well JRick, for some of us, the pleasure of taking the photo is a large part of being an amateur photographer, I hate using my phone for taking photos. The X100 series is a dream to work with.

Second: spend hundreds of thousand? What African currency are you referring to?

3rd: I don't spend much time in post, I am not hooked on it and I prefer the photos as they where when taken, I seen some photos edited so much that they don't looks real anymore.

Micky and lawsofphysics like this.
  13. JRick

JRick Member

-Return to Top-

HaHa.....
    re: "spend hundreds of thousand?" (What African currency are you referring to?)
    is that what i wrote ?? :)
    and, by the way, i was referring to USD currency :)

if you read my posts you will see i'm often guilty of presenting a different perspective on the thread based on my experience and what i have learned over the years....which is often not the same as others.

14. JRick

JRick Member

-Return to Top-

DragonEye....please post after you've used it awhile. will be interesting to get your perspective after jumping past the S and T and switching to the F model. it's obviously a technically better camera, but i'm more interested in how you like the new layout and menu system.

15. Carolyn1250

Carolyn1250 New Member

-Return to Top-

This has been a fascinating discussion. I ended up not getting the F because, super simply, I cannot afford it right now. Maybe when its successor comes out, I can pick one up used.

So, I am still enjoying the 100 classic for the time being (and also the IPhone, Canon 5D2 and drawing from life!)!

16. rsn48

rsn48 Member

-Return to Top-

I don't need to purchase any fishing gear, I just need to go to the Supermarket and buy a fish, but how much fun is that.

17. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@Carolyn1250
    You do not lose macro capability with the x100F. The dedicated button is gone but is no longer needed - tha camera recognizes when you are focusing on a close-up subject and switches into that mode automatically. I wouldn’t describe it as a macro monster but it will focus down to around 4” or so.

18. Asiafish

Asiafish New Member

-Return to Top-

You'll love it. The F is my first X100 series, and first Fuji. I have a rather extensive Leica kit built around the M10. The X100F is actually an outstanding complement to the Leica gear, with excellent image quality, great handling and fast operation. My only complaint is that (compared to Leica) the menus are very complex and convoluted, but then the X100F is a far more complex camera than the Leica M10.

I am very happy with my purchase.

19. JRick

JRick Member

-Return to Top-

re: "
    This has been a fascinating discussion. I ended up not getting the F because, super simply, I cannot afford it right now. Maybe when its successor comes out, I can pick one up used.
    So, I am still enjoying the 100 classic for the time being (and also the IPhone, Canon 5D2 and drawing from life!)!"

i think you made a wise and sensible decision. you will never have a problem getting people to tell you how much they love their X100F and why you should get one, but that should never be the reason to spend over a grand...in USD :) and buy a new camera. shooting LOTS of pics with what you have now and studying them to make the next ones even better WILL help you a lot more than newer gear. i knew i would be dissed for my Iphone comment, but i posted anyway because it has made me a better photographer in many ways i won't bore you with, and i's ALWAYS with me so i rarely lose a special "moment" :)

unfortunately camera gear will never get cheaper but there have been MILLIONS of great photos taken before anyone even considered a camera could be "digital"/lol/
    - that's why i feel that the cameras that now come with the newer cell phones give you a very big bang for the buck. the challenge to take a great photo with one is one of the reasons i love using them and has helped my Nikon studio shots with complex lighting set ups, and a simple way to document my BTS (behind the scene) records of how i set them up

i recently watched a video shot with an Iphone that blew me away. i added up the list of accessories that were used with it and couldn't help notice it was less than my Nikon and one lens. i could NEVER have done that with the Nikon (or my X100F).

just another reason that convinced me great photos come from great photographers, not great equipment !!
    ...for me it's : photographer, subject, composition, lighting and camera gear.....in that order :)

Micky and Kirstybell like this.
  20. Robert G

Robert G New Member

-Return to Top-

I've just upgraded from an original to an X100F, and to be honest - I'm not feeling the love yet. I don't think the AF is *that* much faster, and running a couple of high-ISO tests, the image quality is actually *worse* at ISO6400 - which was a big surprise to me.