This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

First Star/Milky Way Attempt

Discussion in 'Photo Critique Forum' started by Skylark, May 16, 2018.

1. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have been wanting to try some Star/Milky Way shots, got round to it last night, I stay in a reasonably built up area with plenty of street lights so I'm surprised it came out seemingly as well as it did.

XT10 18mm at F2 ISO 800 17sec on tripod.

The focus infinity setting on the 18mm is way out, you need to manually focus using the zoom in feature, almost in line with the 10m distance mark on the rear screen is about spot on.

I'm new to astrophotography so I would appreciate tips and criticisms.

One question I have is it seems that getting tack sharp images of stars is not really possible, even if you nailed focus, used a tripod and short enough time to prevent star trails it'll look like a bit of a mess when you zoom in/pixel peep?

2018 05 16 Milky Way stars-14-2_resize.jpg

2018 05 16 Milky Way stars-9-2-2_resize.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Also what size images should I be resized to and should I embed full size images or use the thumbnails feature with zoom to click?

The same resized pics posted above looks nice and crisp on my computer but a little washed out and blurry after uploading and viewing it in the browser

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. Mdelrossi

Mdelrossi Active Member

-Return to Top-

Nice shot!, Astro photography is something I've been meaning to get into. Check these guys out for help, Please login or register to view links.
    mdr

4. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am surprised that you got so much detail with ISO800 and 17s. Where do you live? Is the sky really dark there?

5. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was also surprised, I don't live in a particularly dark location, it's a suburb in a town in South Africa's Garden Route, it was on the new moon so almost no moonlight.
    The dehaze setting in Lightroom and a few tone adjustments did help, the images were pretty flat/boring looking RAW files straight out of the camera but I'm assuming that is almost always going to be the case with astro pics.

6. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Tried Startrails this evening, very easy to combine the images with a free program called Starstax: Please login or register to view links
    One thing to consider is it's better to have less stars in the sky to insure clearly defined individual star trails, pics of the milky way just show a sky obliterated with star trails.

StarStaX_2018 05 17 Star trails 2-10-2018 05 17 Star trails 2-9_gap_filling ONE_resize.jpg

liggy likes this.
  7. EOBeav

EOBeav Active Member

-Return to Top-

Just wondering if you got that at 17 sec. at ISO 800, I would think you could get the same exposure at 4 seconds at ISO 3200. Or does Fuji X eat stars after a certain ISO? I'm doing a little trip in July to a fairly dark place and was hoping to get some Milky Way shots then.

8. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I would imagine that would be fine, the best way is to test and check the results, Fujifilm files from these shots don't seem to be very noisy though so you should be ok.

With Astro photography the big thing is the maximum amount of time to prevent getting small star trails, that's a factor or sensor size and focal length, on my 18mm that was somewhere around 20sec

Blackcoffee87 likes this.