This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Filter Question

Discussion in 'Fuji X Accessories' started by wsavitz, Sep 13, 2018.

1. wsavitz

wsavitz Member

-Return to Top-

I just picked up the 16 f1.4 and am looking for a clear filter, just for protection.
    I've always used the B&W XS-Pro MRC-Nano 007 filters in the past but the 67mm size is a bit expensive.
    The XS-Pro MRC-Nano 007 is $49.95 and the XS-Pro MRC 007M is $32.10. It appears the only difference is the Nano coating which promotes beading of water for easier cleaning.
    Does anyone have experience with the non-Nano coated version? Are there any other differences between the two?

2. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is only a personal opinion coming from a lot of years of experience with all sizes and shapes of camera/lens gear. I might add that includes a lot of fairly dangerous field work chasing airplane crashes in the mountains in all westher conditions.where a camera is protected only by your body. Never, have I experienced a damage. Yes, I have dropped a camera. Spending money on a filter is good only for the camera sales people. Needing protection is strictly mental. The mindset probably comes from camera sales people selling filters for their personal profit. I am a user of the 16mm f/1.4 - it is my go to lens. Save your money and, make lots of images.

blacksheep likes this.
  3. Pobert58

Pobert58 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Of course the other side of the coin is that those of us who work in blowing sand and dirt are quite comfortable spending a little extra money. Here in West Texas my default is to keep the protective lens on until the conditions allow me to remove it.

AndyH44 and LionSpeed like this.
  4. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Another option is the Fuji PRF protection filters, not cheap but should be the same glass and coatings as used in the lenses.

5. Ron P

Ron P Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have opted for using the lens hood to protect the lens, rather than spend money on protection filters. Works fine for me.

blacksheep likes this.
  6. wsavitz

wsavitz Member

-Return to Top-

Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to rethink the whole protective filter thing. But I would hate to scratch the front element of an expensive (to me) lens. I admit it's more for peace of mind than anything else but I've always used them and old habits are hard to break.

RonFleet likes this.
  7. pointreyes

pointreyes Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The last B+W filter I got went back to the store - worst workmanship I have seen on a B+W filter and I have several of the Nano coating clear filters. I did not want to re-order the filter out of fear that I might end up with another bad filter days before vacation. The QC was so bad that I did leave a comment about it at the store (still left a 4 star rating since I was upset about the QC). I tried a Breakthrough Photography X2 filter and found it worked out quite well for me. I went with that brand because I have been impressed with the X4 CPL.

AndyH44 likes this.
  8. JimFenner

JimFenner Premium Member

-Return to Top-

re your QC issue, maybe there are fakes in the market?

Disclaimer - I am not a pro. I am trying not to spend much on my gear but as insurance, I buy filters for all my lenses; I treat them like .. er, glass.
    The filters steadily accumulate tiny streaks, tiny scratches, tiny specks that don't clean off, it pleases me to think that the objective lens underneath is still pristine. If I ever really damage a filter, I'll replace it
    If I ever got the chance to shoot a model close up, I might take the filter off, otherwise it stays on.

You'll have to make the call on how much to spend but the uber-quality fluorine-coated filters do an AMAZING job of repelling finger grease and (AFAIK) do not degrade the image
    El cheapo ones might well degrade the image, other forum members may see image degradation and comment.

Dust

Other forum members have reminded us about dust and blowing salt spray - nasty stuff! If you beach walk a lot you will need to protect the entire camera not just the objective lens.

Hoods
    Do work. I keep the hood on my $3K lens when I am bush walking lest I whop it on a boulder.
    The metal hood on my 35mm f1.4 never comes off and well protects the still-pristine lens filter.

Enjoy the 16mm lens, I envy you!

9. wsavitz

wsavitz Member

-Return to Top-

Jim, your thoughts on the subject mirror mine almost exactly. There is no real downside to a protective filter other than the cost, but it's relatively cheap insurance. I'm going to go ahead and get the B&W filter that I have on other lenses, although the Breakthrough Photography filters seem to be excellent. I hadn't heard of them until now.

10. fzdp

fzdp Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Recent Hoya filters I bought (various ND and polarizers) made me forget about B&W. Actually they are better than B&W in terms of colour casts etc. and are 1/2 cheaper. So it is up to you if you want to stick with B&W. Just my opinion.

11. wsavitz

wsavitz Member

-Return to Top-

The Hoya filter that's the equivilant of the B&W is actually more that twice as expensive unfortunately.

12. blacksheep

blacksheep Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I wholeheartedly agree. I gave up purchasing UV filters years ago. Don't have any. Only use polarizers, GND and only put them on the front of the lens when I need to. The included lens hood is just as good a protection. Why put a cheap piece of glass in front of all that stellar optics?

Chuck Carstensen likes this.
  13. wsavitz

wsavitz Member

-Return to Top-

I would agree if it degraded the image in any noticeable way but with the better filters it does not.

14. ggruber

ggruber Active Member

-Return to Top-

I use the nano filters on all my lenses. I too live in a very dusty area, the desert, and have had car windshields sand pitted in 5 minutes driving through blowing sand. I’d much rather replace a filter than a lens

AndyH44 likes this.
  15. ChooChooTrain

ChooChooTrain Member

-Return to Top-

Reading this thread it's almost like people who lived in different areas have different experiences and this comes to different conclusions. But surely that can't be true right? :lolu:

OP just do whatever you want. As long as you are not buying cheap filter glass the impact on IQ should be minimal. More expensive filters are easier to wipe clean, but whether that's worth the price is up to you to decide. If you are not planning to take a lot of photos in the rain, the convenience may not be worthwhile.

16. wsavitz

wsavitz Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah, if you're gonna do it, don't cheap out. I ended up going with the more expensive (nano) B&W filter like I have on all my other lenses. Peace of mind is a good thing.