This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Favorite 35mm lens to use with your Fuji ( 50-ishmm equivalent)

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by aethyr, Apr 14, 2018.

?
  1. Fuji 35mm f2

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. Fuji 35mm f1.4

43 vote(s)
    70.5%
  3. Mitakon f0.95

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Lensbaby Burnside 35mm f2.8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lensbaby Sweet 35mm f2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Optik Grlitz F/2.8 35mm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bacil

bacil Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't have any focal reducer, just a dummy adapter. So, basically it becomes about 50mm FF equivalent.

aethyr likes this.
  2. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Apart from the Fuji 35/2 I have the Nikon mount Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/2 ZE Lens which is spectacular

aethyr likes this.
  3. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Those lenses are absolutely not the same. Who are those, who claim they are the same? God bless them . .
    I bought this lens together with X-Pro 2, to check it out.
    I quickly put it away, as in comparison with F1.4 , it is a piece of good looking junk, to say it frankly.
    A crap lens in expensive casing.
    AF speed? Not really that faster to notice it. In low light, F1.4 focuses faster, and more reliably,
    and the same applies against high contrast light.
    F2 has those bloody distortions, that can make people look weird on pictures, if you take a shot close to subject.
    One stop slower, and a very contrasty look of image.
    Images look mellow-yellow warm. OOF rendering is abruptly flat. Similar IQ to zoom lens at this FL.
    At least, a Fuji zoom lenses, don't give such a ugly distortions, like 35/2 does.
    And, noise? absolutely never bothers me, and someone has to stand very close to me in very quiet room to hear it. I say, only hear it.
    If those, who are so sensitive, get annoyed by this quiet noise,
    that may indicate, they are overdosing their pharmaceutic drugs, and poisoning others with their fears, and anxiety.
    I sold this piece of junk (F2) without any lose, because I bought it with 25% discount.
    It could be a nice lens in very popular FL, but Fuji, driven by the greed, have simply screw it.
    I was very disappointed about this lens . . . mostly disappointed, because of the lost time on this junk.
    XF 23/2 is a little better lens, and XF 50/2 is optically the best of this whole trio of Fujicrons.
    They all share the same mellow-yellow, high contrast character.
    In summary . . . XF35 F1.4 is extremely good lens, and XF 35 F2 is extremely bad lens . . optically, 'cos that matters the most.
    This is why I'm buying an optical lens . . for it's optical properties. Not for AF speed, and noise.
    I much faster, and reliably shoot with MF lens . . and it doesn't make any freaking noise . . . if someone is interested.
    I wish, XF 35/1.4 was a helicoid MF lens. It would be very nice, if Fuji could make a set of such lenses.
    I'm sure, it'd be a very successful move, business wise . . . and many newbies would really enjoy discovery of beauty of such a lens.
    Real fun to shoot with.
    I wish, this message (rant?) would go straight to the Fuji's HQ.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Angus and aethyr like this.
  4. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I thought the Zeiss Distagon in Nikon mount was a ZF lens and the Canon mount was a ZE lens.

YogiMik likes this.
  5. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

yeah, probably :)
    whatever it is, I have the Nikon one - too lazy to go check but Nikon = F mount so that makes perfect sense

Narsuitus likes this.
  6. oreos

oreos New Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, I use adapted lenses on the Fuji-X-T20. For Nikon F mount lenses I use the K&F adapter.
    For M42 lenses, I prefer the Rainbow adapter because some M42 lenses require extra ring clearance (1.e Takumar 50 f1.8). The Rainbow adapter allows you to remove the secondary ring, while the K&F cannot be removed.

aethyr likes this.
  7. aethyr

aethyr Member

-Return to Top-

I have read similar rants about it before. I have not used either version of the lens but as a consumer I have read a ton of reviews both professional reviews and amateur reviews and there are a lot of reviews that claim it is not as bad as you describe it. On the other end, I have read several reviews that are filled with hostility toward the new f2 lenses. As an outside observer that has not used either of the 35's, it does make it very difficult to choose between them. I have also looked at hundreds of images online and I have seen both good and bad images with each. I do own the 23mm f2 and the 50mm f2 and I absolutely love the 50mm f2. It makes the best black and white images and it is super sharp. I have not owned it very long but I have already taken several images that I absolutely love with it....To be honest, in regard to 35's, I am more interested in the Mitakon and the Lensbaby Burnside.

YogiMik likes this.
  8. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Good way is to buy a used lens, and try it. Sell it, if you don't like it. This is, what I'm doing now, when I'm not sure about lens.
    You may even like 35/2 for B&W, especially in Across. Those Fujicrons are made for B&W, actually.

aethyr likes this.
  9. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 35/2 has distortion issues which are corrected by software. Fuji and Adobe do this automatically and, as far as I know, it cannot be turned off. This has the most impact on the edges of the image, inducing softness.

The 35/1.4 is designed better, optically. The lack of compromises in the optical qualities lead to a design choice for focusing to be managed by multiple moving elements. This makes the mechanism slower and less quiet. I wouldn't call it "noisy" but it is not as quiet as the f2.

When you are in lower light, the extra stop of light the f1.4 lens lets in is enough to make up for the slower focusing so that the f1.4 lens actually focuses faster in low light.

The f2 lens has more contrast. If you prefer a higher contrast look, you can set your jpegs that way in camera with the f1.4 lens. To reduce the contrast with the f2 lens will require a reduction in quality of the result (you can't add back in subtle tonal variations). Adding in the contrast faith the f1.4 lens generated images doesn't reduce quality (you can always not add it).

Which is better for the OP?

If the lens noise is enough to be a bother, this favors the f2. It would be best to experience it directly. In comparison it may matter; most don't mind or notice it but some do. If weather sealing is a priority, favor the f2.

If image quality is the highest priority, if low light matters, if you appreciate the rendering difference, if sharpness in the edges matters, favor the f1.4.

If you have looked at comparison images and don't notice a difference, this means you will be happy with either.

I don't think there is a bad decision. I have a strong preference but that doesn't mean you should share my preferences. :)

YogiMik and aethyr like this.
  10. Lumens

Lumens Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I see you have not tried the Fuji 35 f1.4. If you had you wouldn't be asking this question.

11. lawsofphysics

lawsofphysics Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The XF 35/1.4 is optically superior to the XF 35/2.

The exact opposite is true when it comes to focusing. To be complete, I had a very early example of the 351.4. It was loud, slow and fly-by-wire MF was not practical. Perhaps more recent examples focus better. When I used it with an X-T1, the speed improved as did the in-fous success rate. It is larger, but that is to be expected given the increased glass surface area required for a f 1.4 aperture.

I also bought a very early example of the 35/2. Within a week or so I sold the 34/1.4. If I thought I would use the 35/1.4 more than once a year I would have kept it. Honestly I don't miss it at all. Most of my work is within the domain of reportage photography. The software barrel distortion correction for the 35/2 is adequate for my purposes. I do not need the extra stop of aperture. If I was interested in portrait, still life or even landscape photography my decision would be different.

I appreciate that FUJIFILM offers two different lenses. We can choose the what best suits our needs.

rayvonn and YogiMik like this.
  12. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

To be fair, @lawsofphysics has a point about the MF on the 35 1.4 you know.

13. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think firmware updates fixed most performance problems, I've had both for a while and there was no perceptible speed difference when focusing, noise levels and overall feel didn't bother me much, but the f2 was better in these two.

The image quality differences were actually quite apparent for my type of photography, e.g. close up portraiture as well as architecture and landscapes while traveling. But I can believe that my f/1.4 is particularly good while my f/2 was average at best or possible even "not good".

Regarding review, I don't know @YogiMik for his "grey views", he seems to be more a "black & white" guy himself. I don't always agree with him, but on the topic of the two 35mm lenses, I tend into the same direction. The 35/2 is definitely the weakest of the compact f/2 lens series. Whether that's relevant for someone, only they know.

14. liggy

liggy GASaholic Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

I love the 35 1.4. I have both. I don’t think I’ve used the 35 2.0 ever since getting the 16-55.

15. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's true, the mono images, at least when processed through Iridient Developer, are very pleasing with the F2. I suppose to get the best out of it, I should try it out as a weather resistant combination with the X-T1 shooting mono during a downpour eh? :)

16. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've still got my Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon M42 35/2.4 . I'm very happy with the images I get from it on my Fuji cameras and it's probably the reason I've never sought a Fuji 35mm.

rayvonn likes this.
  17. Brian1940

Brian1940 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It must be me, or maybe it's that I am easily satisfied.

I now own, 14mm, 18mm, 23mm f2, 27mm ,35mm f1.4 and f2, 56mm f1.2, and the 18-55mm. And there ain't a bad lens among them, or put it this way, there ain't any of these lenses that I feel is inadequate to do the what I need .

As I say, I might not be very demanding, or perhaps that I do not require the ultimate in lens performance for my second rate snaps.

My favourite is perhaps the 18-55mm zoom, my least liked and virtually unused, the 56mm.

I suppose my choice of the zoom is mostly because I never cart more then one lens around, even if I go on holiday I take one lens, or maybe with the recent acquisition of the 18mm and 27mm that might change.

Might I humbly suggest that any Fuji lens is far more capable then 99.99% of users.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    CSG, Primes4ever, rayvonn and 2 others like this.
  18. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'll give you $250 for the 35 f/2 if it's in excellent condition! ;)

rayvonn likes this.
  19. Greg_E

Greg_E Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji 27mm, then Zeiss 32mm because those are the lenses I have.

20. ScottyMac

ScottyMac Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also use the Zeiss 32...its a very sharp lens, and probably accounts for half of my photos.